• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2023

RUCKS R US

Frank Nicholson (4)
pius these boys are fearless with heaps of ticker, i believe they will give oakhill a good run for their money when it comes down to it, a quick backline with heaps of hard hitting ball runners
Hello Warratahs recruiment2023,
I tend to disagree with this. Pius have a absorbable backline but are lacking zip in the back 3. You say that they have good ball runners but what I have seen is they have a few good runs then lose the ball and there discipline goes out the window. Especially their No. 8 who gets smashed once or twice and walks around the pitch for the rest of the game with a stupid arm sleeve on. Not to mention he was complaining about high tackles when getting chopped tackled around the ankles. Pius need to fix there mentality after conceding points, and fix body language. It's absolutely pathetic.
Rucker out.

bill clune

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello Warratahs recruiment2023,
I tend to disagree with this. Pius have a absorbable backline but are lacking zip in the back 3. You say that they have good ball runners but what I have seen is they have a few good runs then lose the ball and there discipline goes out the window. Especially their No. 8 who gets smashed once or twice and walks around the pitch for the rest of the game with a stupid arm sleeve on. Not to mention he was complaining about high tackles when getting chopped tackled around the ankles. Pius need to fix there mentality after conceding points, and fix body language. It's absolutely pathetic.
Rucker out.
I completely agree with you on this Rucker. While you mentioned their ball runners being competent, I've noticed a tendency for them to make impressive runs only to lose possession and exhibit a lapse in discipline. As you stated their No. 8, who wears that unnecessary arm sleeve, simply gives up when things aren't going his way which shows that poor attitude that flows throughout the team. Pius urgently needs to address their mentality as it is utterly disgraceful. Their current state of affairs is truly disheartening.

RUCKS R US

Frank Nicholson (4)
I completely agree with you on this Rucker. While you mentioned their ball runners being competent, I've noticed a tendency for them to make impressive runs only to lose possession and exhibit a lapse in discipline. As you stated their No. 8, who wears that unnecessary arm sleeve, simply gives up when things aren't going his way which shows that poor attitude that flows throughout the team. Pius urgently needs to address their mentality as it is utterly disgraceful. Their current state of affairs is truly disheartening.
Ok thanks for plagiarising exactly what I said, but yes there a side of potential and I think that all they will ever be. To be fair I feel bad for the bloke heard a lot of slander coming from the stands towards him. Can anyone of the youth please explain to me what a "Flop" is I repeatably heard the crowd call the No.8 a "flop". This youth slang makes me feel old.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
It seems as though the schoolboys have had their annual strike on this thread! On another note, how are the seconds and 16A competitions looking?

We are also 2 weeks away from the start of this year's season! Oakhill and Auggies are seen to be frontrunners, with Pats being just a touch off the pace.
Gregs have shown they are a team with potential with wins over a strong Riverview 2nds side and Trinity.
Stannies began with a rough start to the season with a loss to the GPS powerhouse Scots, but look to steer back on track with wins over Aloys and Sydney Grammar, but the benchmark will be set with their game this week against Cranbrook.
Kinross has had an underrated start I believe, with a blowout win against Sydney Grammar, who was just beaten by Stannies by 3 points, and another thrashing to TAS, a beating from Cranbrook demonstrates they might not quite have the forwards to keep up with the dominant Cranbrook pack.
Pius seems to be in all sorts of strife judging by the comments on this forum.

2 more weeks of trials before the real competition starts.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think that Greg's are shaping up alright. Had trouble over previous years but were ruthless against View 2's in the trial a few weeks ago. Huge contender if Will Stimson continues to perform.
Agree. Their trial form (regardless of opponent) suggests that they're learning how to win and I think this is important as it will help build momentum coming into round 1. If they can knock off Aloys this weekend, then I think everyone needs to sit up straight, tuck your shirts in and take notice of a good team in the making.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tips for this weekend:

Grammar host Pats - Going to say Pats in a close one. Despite the loss to Barker last week, the second half was quality from Pats and they should take heart that their forwards can do the job.
Knox host Oakhill - Oakhill are having the toughest of trial seasons and I hope these tough matches aren't having a negative impact on their ability to win games. Knox by 10
Waverley host Auggies - Trying to keep up wth the chatter about Waverley and dont know the truth of the matter but suspect that injuries are taking their toll. Queens Park never an easy place to win, but I think Auggies will have too much zing in their backline.
Stannies host Cranbrook - From what Ive seen results wise, I think Cranbrook will take this one. Not by much (it's never easy in Bathurst), but in control.
Kinross host Trinity - Kinross have had a really good trial season so far and to me this will be the barometer of their preparation. Kinross by 15
Gregs host Aloys - Match of the round and again, a barometer of how they are going against what I consider a like for like opponent. Tipping Gregs in an upset
Barker 2nds host Pius - Dont know which way to go with this game. Pius never back down and I suspect Barker 2s wil be a close match up for them. Pius by a hairs breath :)

Father of Footy

Frank Row (1)
Going out to watch Auggies vs Waverley this weekend. Excited to see the well structured and skilled Waverley side take on the undersized and inexperienced Auggies team. Each team have had a great start to the season yet with a few injuries lingering about the Waverley side I think that St Augs will take it home with a 15+ win.

REDCARD!

Frank Row (1)
Going out to watch Auggies vs Waverley this weekend. Excited to see the well structured and skilled Waverley side take on the undersized and inexperienced Auggies team. Each team have had a great start to the season yet with a few injuries lingering about the Waverley side I think that St Augs will take it home with a 15+ win.
With The Auggies team mostly consisting of undersized year 11's, the Waverly forwards are going to have a field day through the middle of the pitch. Im excited to watch how Sam Blank goes following up on a toe injury. I have Waverly by 10+

Thomas B Rugbyboot

Frank Nicholson (4)
Tips for this weekend:

Grammar host Pats - Pats have this one. Forwards should produce enough ball for the Pats backline to click into gear.
Knox host Oakhill - Knox to win this one. Injuries at Oaks are killing consistency. 2 debutants again last week.
Waverley host Auggies - Auggies to take this one through consistency of forwards and backs. Waverley forwards are strong. Outside of number 15, their backline lacked game breakers.
Stannies host Cranbrook - From what I've read results wise, I think Cranbrook will take this one. It will be interesting to see how Stannies go at home vs Cranbrook travelling.
Kinross host Trinity - Kinross have this one. Trail results have been promising. Interesting to see how Trinity travel.
Gregs host Aloys - Gregs have this one. Good trial form so far. This will indicate the strength for this year.
Barker 2nds host Pius - Barker 2's were ok this year. Solid forward pack. Reports on Pius's trial form this year should see them win this one.

Silver Back

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this weekend:

Grammar host Pats - Going to say Pats in a close one. Despite the loss to Barker last week, the second half was quality from Pats and they should take heart that their forwards can do the job.
Knox host Oakhill - Oakhill are having the toughest of trial seasons and I hope these tough matches aren't having a negative impact on their ability to win games. Knox by 10
Waverley host Auggies - Trying to keep up wth the chatter about Waverley and dont know the truth of the matter but suspect that injuries are taking their toll. Queens Park never an easy place to win, but I think Auggies will have too much zing in their backline.
Stannies host Cranbrook - From what Ive seen results wise, I think Cranbrook will take this one. Not by much (it's never easy in Bathurst), but in control.
Kinross host Trinity - Kinross have had a really good trial season so far and to me this will be the barometer of their preparation. Kinross by 15
Gregs host Aloys - Match of the round and again, a barometer of how they are going against what I consider a like for like opponent. Tipping Gregs in an upset
Barker 2nds host Pius - Dont know which way to go with this game. Pius never back down and I suspect Barker 2s wil be a close match up for them. Pius by a hairs breath :)

Pats First XV are now playing Kings 3rds. Some issues from Grammar (not sure why) means they don't want to play Pats Firsts, so Pats match up with 2nds against Grammar Firsts, Pats 3rds v Grammar 2nds, Pats 4ths v Grammar 3rds all at Weigall, while Pats will play Kings 3rds at 11am at Strathfield.
Grammar only providing one or two teams for Pats to play against in each of the 13s- 16s age groups as well.

Choptackle

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tips for the weekend:
Knox host oak hill- I believe Knox coming off a string of wins will be too strong for Oakhill especially towards the later stages of the game. Knox+12
Waverly host Augs- It’s always tough to win at queens park however I know waverly have a multitude of injuries which can cause for a lack of consistency within the team. Augs have been strong all season through their dazzling backline which will be too strong for waverly. Augs+10
Kinross host trinity- Kinross have had promising trial results and trinity have been struggling to gain momentum. Kinross in a tight one. Kinross+5
Stannies host cranbrook- Not too much to say about this one I believe cranbrook will be too strong. Cranbrook+7
Greg’s host Aloysius- I believe this will be tight, Greg’s have been promising this trial season aloys have had a couple of close games. Greg’s+3
Barker 2 host pius- Pius have been average at best so far this year and barkers depth throughout the opens is too strong for them. Barker+14

Lots of wonderful talent on display these past few weeks, with schools showing their strike force right across the park! Although I try and keep an eye on all ISA teams and players, I find it hard to look past Auggies. However slightly undersized, I think they have shown character in defence. Hardworking forwards like Guttenbeil (skipper), Wilson (who is only 14!!!), and a dynamic paring in the second row (i'm yet to learn their names). Electrifying speed and skill in the backs; with likes of the Berryman cousins (touch football prodigies), Walsh and Blank set the tone in a vicious attacking backline. Overall I can see them going undefeated in the ISA season - although Kinross are my smokey to win the comp also. Just my thoughts so far. I will be paying closer attention to other schools this week.

-Wallabies Talent Scout

therugbyguru74

Frank Row (1)
Lots of wonderful talent on display these past few weeks, with schools showing their strike force right across the park! Although I try and keep an eye on all ISA teams and players, I find it hard to look past Auggies. However slightly undersized, I think they have shown character in defence. Hardworking forwards like Guttenbeil (skipper), Wilson (who is only 14!!!), and a dynamic paring in the second row (i'm yet to learn their names). Electrifying speed and skill in the backs; with likes of the Berryman cousins (touch football prodigies), Walsh and Blank set the tone in a vicious attacking backline. Overall I can see them going undefeated in the ISA season - although Kinross are my smokey to win the comp also. Just my thoughts so far. I will be paying closer attention to other schools this week.

-Wallabies Talent Scout
kinross got zero depth, i have them for the spoon

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Pats First XV are now playing Kings 3rds. Some issues from Grammar (not sure why) means they don't want to play Pats Firsts, so Pats match up with 2nds against Grammar Firsts, Pats 3rds v Grammar 2nds, Pats 4ths v Grammar 3rds all at Weigall, while Pats will play Kings 3rds at 11am at Strathfield.
Grammar only providing one or two teams for Pats to play against in each of the 13s- 16s age groups as well.
That's odd. I can only assume that Grammar's firsts must be carrying a number of injuries for that to be the case. They haven't had the greatest of trial seasons so far with losses to Stannies, Kinross and Aloys. Perhaps an improving Pats doesn't present the same "like for like" opposition that it may have once been for them in years past.

Anyway - best of luck to Pats seconds then for this weekend. i cant recall a time when a Pats 2nds took on another school's 1sts so that will be a great challenge.

EDIT - I note that Kings 3rds have had good wins over Shore 3rds and Scots 3rds so I hope that will also be a good match up for Pats 1sts

Undersized and inexperienced and you still beleive saint augs will win 15 +o_O

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Tips for the weekend:
Knox host oak hill- I believe Knox coming off a string of wins will be too strong for Oakhill especially towards the later stages of the game. Knox+12
Waverly host Augs- It’s always tough to win at queens park however I know waverly have a multitude of injuries which can cause for a lack of consistency within the team. Augs have been strong all season through their dazzling backline which will be too strong for waverly. Augs+10
Kinross host trinity- Kinross have had promising trial results and trinity have been struggling to gain momentum. Kinross in a tight one. Kinross+5
Stannies host cranbrook- Not too much to say about this one I believe cranbrook will be too strong. Cranbrook+7
Greg’s host Aloysius- I believe this will be tight, Greg’s have been promising this trial season aloys have had a couple of close games. Greg’s+3
Barker 2 host pius- Pius have been average at best so far this year and barkers depth throughout the opens is too strong for them. Barker+14
Tips for this weekend
Knox 14+
Waverley +3
Kinross+3
Cranbrook+5
Gregs +3
Barker 2 +7

Honestly, a very tight round with the only confident winner I have would be Knox over Oakhill, (can see Oakhill showing up and beating them although) all these games could go either way.

Choptackle

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tips for this weekend
Knox 14+
Waverley +3
Kinross+3
Cranbrook+5
Gregs +3
Barker 2 +7

Honestly, a very tight round with the only confident winner I have would be Knox over Oakhill, (can see Oakhill showing up and beating them although) all these games could go either way.
I agree. Many games could go either way. I’m interested to see the waverly pick over augs even with the amount of injuries they have? Why do you think that? But yes it should be a very close game either way. I agree with all other picks however.