• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Good to see that The Bye has not been overlooked for Season 2013. They have been consistent performers (if a little unspectacular) over recent times in the AAGPS comp.

For the uninitiated... or simply slow amongst us... can someone kindly explain what this means? I am missing something - not sure what - or who.

pigprop

Peter Burge (5)
St Pius 1sts and 2nds versus Cranbrook 1sts and 2nds
2nds- Cranbrook 19-7 Pius
Close fought game, mentions to Cranbrook 1,9, Pius 2,5,7,10
1sts- Cranbrook 19-0 Pius
Mentions to Cranbrook 1,3,8,solid backline, Pius 8,14,15

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
St Pius 1sts and 2nds versus Cranbrook 1sts and 2nds
2nds- Cranbrook 19-7 Pius
Close fought game, mentions to Cranbrook 1,9, Pius 2,5,7,10
1sts- Cranbrook 19-0 Pius
Mentions to Cranbrook 1,3,8,solid backline, Pius 8,14,15

Pius must be on the improve if they got that close to Cranbrook! Good to see!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

There used to be a bye in GPS, but when Grammar dropped out there's no more bye. ISA div 1 now have 7 teams with the departure of St Andrew's, so there will be a bye.:)

Boycey2576

Frank Row (1)
If anyone didn't know the new ISA structure for this year, Div 1 comprises of Oakhill, Auggies, St Pat's, Stannies, Kinross, St Pius and St Greg's. For Div 2, St Andrew's have dropped down to join Redfield, All Saints, Chev, Redlands and Central Coast on a Home and Away basis. The newly formed Div 3 includes Scots, Blue Mountains, Oxley who have all just recently dropped from Div 2, who are to play the C Grade teams from Div 1 as I understand. As for trials this year, who knows who is playing who (for all three divisions) ?

This is the Oxley lineup so far that we know of

7. Boyce
8. Dazos
9. William Maker/Jacob Thanning
10. Riley Byrne/Michael Joubert
11. Charlie Calver/Erik Maly
12. Luther Canute/Michael Joubert
13. James Sutherland
14. Charlie Calver/Erik Maly
15. Michael Joubert/ Riley Byrne

as for the forwards, about 12 are going for second and back row and none for front row, so for now we will just have to wait and see!

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Id say there is a good chance that Pius might have mixed the first xv knowing they were playing a div 2 team. But good to see Chev starting the year off well.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
This is the Oxley lineup so far that we know of

7. Boyce
8. Dazos
9. William Maker/Jacob Thanning
10. Riley Byrne/Michael Joubert
11. Charlie Calver/Erik Maly
12. Luther Canute/Michael Joubert
13. James Sutherland
14. Charlie Calver/Erik Maly
15. Michael Joubert/ Riley Byrne

as for the forwards, about 12 are going for second and back row and none for front row, so for now we will just have to wait and see!

Surely Riley at 10 and Joubs at 15 Boycey? Looking forward to this weekend at the Gala Day! :) Not far off now!

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Chevalier 1sts vs Pius 1sts- Trial Format with some subs and stoppages
Chev won by about 7 points
I believe Chev won 34- 22 But I maybe wrong haha. Game was broken into 15 minute quarters. It was really weird. Before the game it was understood that we were going to have combined training session with Pius' coach, which turned into an opposed training session where we could run our plays with a defensive line, to then a full game. Anyway, I wasn't complaining! I'll take a game over training any day! :p Chev play St Greg's this Thursday and the Gala Day v Trinity Goulburn, Daramalan Canberra and Oxley this weekend.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
This is the first I've heard of this. Seems odd as Thursday is sports day at the College which will mean most of the boys will be scattered across the countryside with their other sporting commitments. Also strange as being an assistant coach of one of the teams I was only aware of the Canberra Marist trials this Saturday before we meet Joey's in two consecutive weeks of trials.

I know we used to play a tune up League trial against I think Chev in year's gone by but that's was usually term 4 as part of the 1st XIII squad trials.
Date has been moved to Thursday week. But still a Thursday. Update from today haha

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I believe Chev won 34- 22 But I maybe wrong haha. Game was broken into 15 minute quarters. It was really weird. Before the game it was understood that we were going to have combined training session with Pius' coach, which turned into an opposed training session where we could run our plays with a defensive line, to then a full game. Anyway, I wasn't complaining! I'll take a game over training any day! :p Chev play St Greg's this Thursday and the Gala Day v Trinity Goulburn, Daramalan Canberra and Oxley this weekend.

Did Pius have their 1st XV there? Without wanting to imply criticism of Chev, if Chev beat Pius 1sts against 1sts, it doesn't auger well for Pius this season in ISA Div 1. Unless of course Chev have improved back to where they were 8-10 years ago (which would be a good thing).

blackie

Bob McCowan (2)
Did Pius have their 1st XV there? Without wanting to imply criticism of Chev, if Chev beat Pius 1sts against 1sts, it doesn't auger well for Pius this season in ISA Div 1. Unless of course Chev have improved back to where they were 8-10 years ago (which would be a good thing).

Can confirm that Pius did have their 1st XV as they were down in the Southern Highlands for a 1st XV training camp.The scoreline was 6 tries to 4 in Chev's favour.

Chev 1st's have 15 year 11 players in their 23 man squad.This has been a strong team having been undefeated in ISA Div 2 from 13's through to 16's and includes trial wins over St Gregs.The squad contains 3 JGS reps and numerous District Reps. A large number of the squad still play Sunday Club Rugby.

This confirms a long held suspicion that the top Div 2 schools would be competitive with the bottom Div 1 schools.Redfield in particular have a very good Rugby program and punch well above their weight for the number of students at the school.With St Andrews dropping down I expect the two round Div 2 comp to be very competitive with some great Rugby on show.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)

Ill second this quote - my comment was in no way a dis on Chev (heck I was an ex chev student back in the days we had 4 grades playing) . I would just LOVE to see Chev back in Div 1 - the school has such a proud rugby history . things really hurt from what I heard when they lost the boarders. But its awsome to see they have a strong team this year, any side that is 1) playing div 2 and 2) beats a div 1 team is no mean feat and nothing to be sneezed at.

Pius had a close loss to Cranbrook so maybe it is just a case of Chev being a very strong div 2 team this year . good luck to them . Ando who's coaching them this year? Still Reevsie?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the issues with ISA Div 2 footing it with the Big Boys in Div 1, and to an extent the ISA Schools competing against AAGPS and CAS is the issue of depth and quality in that depth.

A School like St Pats Strathfield generally has 5 open XV's and 4-5 teams in each of the U16-U13 grades, sometimes more. Compare that with St Andrews that on occasions can assemble a 1st XV to beat St Pats Strathfield, but on game day when Andrews win the 1st XV clash, Andews 2nds play Pats 4ths, Andrews 16A play Pats 16B, Andrews 16B play Pats 16E, Andrews 13A play Pats 13 C's and so on. Pats have to go cap in hand to the other schools to arrange teams for the "unmatched" teams, or accept that about 2/3 of their rugby programme have a bye or play a Pats internal opponent.

Redfields typically punches above its weight and could probably give most ISA Div 1 schools 1st XV's a scare, but they normally only have two teams per grade, so if drawn against OakHill or Pats, their opponents would have to scurry around lower grade AAGPS and CAS teams for competition for all their teams to play against.

I suspect that this is the same in many ISA Div 2 schools - Quality to an extent in the 1st XV and 16A, 15A, 14A, and 13A, but no real depth of player or team numbers.

Augies and Oakhill 1st XV could probably beat (and have beaten) AAGPS and CAS 1st XV's, but would struggle to repeat that performance in the 15E's and wouldn't have a 7th XV Opens to play agains the AAGPS School in a ding dong old fashioned School vs School rugby day 1st XV down to 13G's.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
One of the issues with ISA Div 2 footing it with the Big Boys in Div 1, and to an extent the ISA Schools competing against AAGPS and CAS is the issue of depth and quality in that depth.

Augies and Oakhill 1st XV could probably beat (and have beaten) AAGPS and CAS 1st XV's, but would struggle to repeat that performance in the 15E's and wouldn't have a 7th XV Opens to play agains the AAGPS School in a ding dong old fashioned School vs School rugby day 1st XV down to 13G's.

Oakhill vs Barker at Barker this weekend....any thoughts.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
One of the issues with ISA Div 2 footing it with the Big Boys in Div 1, and to an extent the ISA Schools competing against AAGPS and CAS is the issue of depth and quality in that depth....
Hugh, you are spot on. The playing numbers among the Div 1 schools is very uneven. I have said in a previous thread it is a real worry where the 2nd & 16A comps are heading in Div 1 due to lack of competitive matches. Maybe we can't have the old fashion School vs School matchdays when all hands are on deck from 13Es to 1st XV anymore. Rugby is the only ISA sport where an entire school is put into a division. Whereas in other sports, teams from each school play one another based on artbitrary seeding. Maybe that is where rugby needs to head to as well. I am very interesting to see how the experiment with Cs & 3rds playing against the Div 3 schools will go this year. If successful, we may see 2nds from the 'bigger' schools vs the Div 2 1st XV s? And the strongest of the Div 2 1st XV play against the likes of Auggies 1st XV. Remove the Divisions and place teams from each schools according to ability just like ISA basketball or netball . I am sure kids from the St Pat's 14Cs for example would prefer to play in a regular comp against other ISA teams with similar ability then being flogged by 50 points against Joeys 14Cs one week and then next week win by 60 against Riverview 14Fs ! Merging with CAS or GPS will never happen but ISA as an organisation can fix this themselves which will allow the stronger and the weaker schools to all grow at their own pace by building numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.