• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Probably has something to do with it. Another thing is the alternatives to Saturday sport for many of these schools. It's an issue I was actually discussing this afternoon. In the three games we've played so far our numbers have fallen from in excess of 40 to just 27. We are committed to field two squads with those numbers. Means everyone will get plenty of game time but it also means we will only really be competitive in one of the grades. About 10 of the kids that have left have elected to play League for their local club (to be honest, they have all realised that the game is not for the weak of heart and have left because they cannot take the physicality) which is okay as we have kept those who want to be there.

Our solution was the adoption of compulsory Saturday sport. It would provide us with much greater depth (likely up to four or even five teams) and talent. But it's unlikely to ever come to fruition. School's like BMGS would experience similar issues.

Some Colleges, including some ISA and CAS colleges have a version of this - not Compulsory Satruday Sport, but, If you are going to play Rugby or Cricket, then You MUST play Rugby or Cricket for the school (common-sense occasionally allowing some Bradman-esque dispensations... Sure, they have a few students get around this by playing League, but those numbers become negligible over time. Kids often decide to eventuially come play with their mates at school...

I think those Schools that are offering both Rugby Codes actually put themselves in a very difficult position - often ensuring they will be less than thay could be, at both codes...

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
While my son does go to Riverview and you can criticise me for being bias i would really second guess what you guys are saying about the state schoolboy country rugby union. I was at the riverview vs stannies fixture and to say that riverview outplayed there opponents would be a complete understatement. The stannies team couldnt complete the basics. Also needed to be taken into consideration is the amount of aths boys who were unable to play for riverview. Since the new team lists have been named including the aths boys only 6 boys remained in views 2nds who only just lost to a 1ST XV TEAM!!!!!.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
While my son does go to Riverview and you can criticise me for being bias i would really second guess what you guys are saying about the state schoolboy country rugby union. I was at the riverview vs stannies fixture and to say that riverview outplayed there opponents would be a complete understatement. The stannies team couldnt complete the basics. Also needed to be taken into consideration is the amount of aths boys who were unable to play for riverview. Since the new team lists have been named including the aths boys only 6 boys remained in views 2nds who only just lost to a 1ST XV TEAM!!!!!.

wow... don't help your kids with their Homework.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I am struggling to understand your point regarding "second guessing the state of schoolboy country rugby union."

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I am struggling to understand your point regarding "second guessing the state of schoolboy country rugby union."

Huge answered this in the GPS thread
New vs The Bye was one of the most outstanding match reports. Sad to see them relegated to ISA. I think they will maintain their consistent performance there.

The ISA is an inferior comp clearly as playing in this comp is "relegation". either that or he is a great motivator as better grist for the mill you will not find then telling one team the other does mock it

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
2 Buses? I am puzzled, and unclear as to the meaning. Why are 2 Buses leaving the Northern Beaches each day for Scots?

What am I missing here.
There was an explanation here briefly, (W. did you think twice or was it removed ?) but you had to be quick as that bus too has gone

from what I understand there are more juniors in Warringah and Manly than a lot of other parts of Sydney
. When I did my apprenticeship up on the peninsular in the 90s it was "a working man's suburb in paradise" every second van had a ladder on it .....
I think there are some that question why parents "working men" want to send their boys so far for school
I hope the dots aren't too close together here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Start with the Auggies 1s. They must be looking good for the lions share of the places. As well as their Y12 boys, they have some very talented boys coming through in Y11, some of whom played 1xt XV last year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Let's hope there is not the same moaning as last year.
One of the contested selections in the ISA 1's played Oz schoolboys and has been selected to play Oz 20's this year.
Pretty hard to please some people!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With Oakhill winining one game vs Auggies and the reverse in the Waratah Shield Final, and they were the form teams of ISA last year, some selections were touch and go either way.

This year Oakhill seem to be rebuilding somewhat, and may not have so many players ready for rep footy as they had last year.

I've heard a bit about Arthur Currie from St Gregs (Youth Olympics 7's, and Lloyd McDermott's).

Kinross have some pretty quick centres.

Gaggerland has Tom Ando from Chev.

Don't forget that Michael Hooper and Luke Jones were graduates of ISA rugby.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah Hugh, to be fair.more than a couple of selections were line ball.

I think Currie was selected in the 1's last year and subsequently withdrew?

Not only were Hooper & Jones ISA boys, they were both from Pius in the same year.

pigprop

Peter Burge (5)
Pius-5 St Pats- 22 in the 1sts, good game Pius 2,15[young gun], Pats 1, blue headgear[didnt catch number], 13
Pius 5- Pats 55 in the 2nds, good game Pius 1[countless tackles],8 , Pats 8,10,15

thejuggler

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not sure, Hugh. But i do know that Oxley were up against St Pats today, or at least that's what it said on their sports draw. It would be handy if we could get a look at the full draw, if anyone has it or a workable link to it.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Pius-5 St Pats- 22 in the 1sts, good game Pius 2,15[young gun], Pats 1, blue headgear[didnt catch number], 13
Pius 5- Pats 55 in the 2nds, good game Pius 1[countless tackles],8 , Pats 8,10,15

St Pats certainly weren't at their best yesterday with the blow over of rain disrupting the way they play. St Pats didn't adapt to the wet conditions and continued to play an expansive style of rugby which resulted in many mistakes in the backline. St Pius seem to be a different opposition this year playing with much more intention and rugby smarts. I definetly agree with the players you have identified as having a good game. The boy with the blue headgear was playing openside flanker for St Pats was Albert Jenson who was everywhere around the park, particularly good around the breakdown and with ball in hand. The outside centre Josh Maree continues to be a force in defence, putting on numerous big hits. Loosehead for St Pats was Tim Skinner, who had a solid game and gave the Pius scrum grief for the entirety of the match.

From the games I have watched of St Pats they have a tendency to under use their forward pack and spin the ball wide, early on in a phase set. It is understandable doing this as St Pats have two SG Ball players in the backline in Ryan Harris and Jeff Markus, however St Pats didn't play to the conditions at all in the first half, allowing Pius to be right in it at 5-5 at half-time.

Next week St Pats play Sydney Grammar at Breen Oval, with the return of Josh Taweel to the backrow, which will have St Pats at full strength come ISA in two weeks.

Pius certainly shouldn't be underrated this year and I am predicting a few upsets out at Oxford Falls this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.