• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
If you want better refereeing, it comes down to paying for it. Basketball and league competitions always have two independant professional refs paid for each game. A lot more going on in a game of Rugby and people complain that one volunteer is not making the right decision, while they are standing on the side line with their hands in their pockets, but not reaching for money to pay for referees. Time to pay up, two professional referees for every As game and 2nds and 1sts.
You know it makes sense. :cool:

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
I you want the selectors looking more closely at the ISA teams it comes down to throwing more money at the ISA rugby.
RANDWICK SINGAPORE SEVENS SQUAD – Top Row: Louisa McGinness (Physio), Tenzing Tsewang (Sport Scientist), Junior Taavili, Jack Tovey, Will Munro, James White, Nathan McMahon (Trainer), Allen Stutchbury (Manager), Di Long (Physio). Bottom Row: Marcus Blackburn (Coach), Ethan Ford, Steve Bennie, Marc Koteczky, Mark Bannon, Nathan Roye, Pete Samu, Mohamed Maludin (Liaison Officer).
Scots College coach, Marcus Blackburn here, is supported with numerous professionals and the teams with this support have it for a reason.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pedro Shute Shield Rugby clubs operate on budgets of around $1m - some more, some less. This is spread across 4 grade teams and 3 colts teams with crumbs going to junior development.

I'd be very surprised if Schools could match that level of expenditure on their rugby programmes - even AAGPS. The AAGPS rugby budget is spread across up to 1000 players in the larger schools. The Shute Shield club budget is spread across about 200 players.

Randwick support staff = 2 physio's, 1 sports scientist, 1 trainer, 1 manager, 1 coach, 1 Liaison Officer
ISA I Rep team support staff = 1 Head Coach, 1 Assistant coach, 1 manager.

ISA rep teams do not need Liaison Officers because the tournaments are in Sydney.

The difference between your example and the ISA rep teams seems to be physio's and a sports scientist. Would these really make a difference to the ISA rep team?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The first lap of ISA Div 2 home and away has been completed, and it is tight at the top.

From the ISA website:http://isa.nsw.edu.au/ISA-results.html

ISA Div 2 Round 1 Results
Chevalier 24 - St Andrews 19
Central Coast Grammar 47- Redlands 10
Redfield 61 - All Saints 13

ISA Div 2 Round 2 Results
Redlands 36 - All Saints 16
Redfield 27 - St Andrews 21
Central Coast Grammar 19 - Chevalier 7

ISA Div 2 Round 3 Results
Chevalier 34 - Redlands 20
Central Coast Grammar 17 - Redfield 12
St Andrews 50 - All Saints 28

ISA Div 2 Round 4 Results
Redfield 20 - Redlands 17
Chevalier 52 - All Saints 3
St Andrews 40 - Central Coast Grammar 10

ISA Div 2 Round 5 Results
Chevalier 19 - Redfield 15
Central Coast Grammar 50 - All Saints 0
St Andrews 29 - Redlands 10

Competition Table (at the 1/2 way mark)
Chevalier 19 (W4 L1 BP3)
Central Coast Grammar 18 (W4 L1 BP2)
St Andrews 17 (W3 L2 BP5)
Redfield 16 (W3 L2 BP4)
Redlands 6 (W1 L4 BP2)
All Saints 1 (W0 L5 BP1)

Anthony Green, the ABC Elections Commentator would have this as "too close to call" at this stage.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Pedro
ISA rep teams do not need Liaison Officers because the tournaments are in Sydney.

The difference between your example and the ISA rep teams seems to be physio's and a sports scientist. Would these really make a difference to the ISA rep team?

A couple of years ago ISA definitely had a physio.
I'm sure they still have one,who else would do the mountains of strapping that has become compulsory for many of these schoolkids?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If ISA have a physio, they are not more or less full time assigned to the team, monitoring and managing injuries and rehab programmes throughout the season as well as attending all training sessions, (which number about two).

Fairly sure that there will be a physio and/or strapper available at the games - Pittwater Park and Knox, but these assets will be specific for those two days (and possible training sessions) with no long term rehab role.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
got
Pats beat Oakhill but lost to Stannies, so either a Stannies win or a Augustines
Augustine's weakest age group - won one game last year against Kinross and Pius played in 14Bs last year, so you could count that as an Augustines win as well. Augustines have won their first 2, but have only played Kinross and Pius. It would take a big form reversal for them to win this. Augustines play Oakhill this week - on form you'd expect Oakhill to win well, but you never know.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Who are the ostensible stars in the ISA this year that we can look forward to watching in the upcoming rep games?

Also, in order that we rugby heads should not get too excited about their likely rugby union future: which of them will probably be playing league when they leave school?

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy watching elite schools' players playing rugby union whatever code they will play when they leave school.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who are the ostensible stars in the ISA this year that we can look forward to watching in the upcoming rep games?

Also, in order that we rugby heads should not get too excited about their likely rugby union future: which of them will probably be playing league when they leave school?

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy watching elite schools' players playing rugby union whatever code they will play when they leave school.
James Lough and John Walker from Augustine's are both class players. Halaifonua & Cook also very good, but in 2nds at the moment. Cochrane has natural talent to burn, but is injury prone - brilliant fullback, although I see that ISA have him on the wing. Cook has played junior rep league, but not sure where his priority lies - I think rugby but stand to be corrected if this is not so. Same with Cochrane I think - I don't think he is physical enough for league though.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Augustine's weakest age group - won one game last year against Kinross and Pius played in 14Bs last year, so you could count that as an Augustines win as well. Augustines have won their first 2, but have only played Kinross and Pius. It would take a big form reversal for them to win this. Augustines play Oakhill this week - on form you'd expect Oakhill to win well, but you never know.

On form?
You know A's beat Oakhill in a trial a month ago?

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
James Lough and John Walker from Augustine's are both class players. Halaifonua & Cook also very good, but in 2nds at the moment. Cochrane has natural talent to burn, but is injury prone - brilliant fullback, although I see that ISA have him on the wing. Cook has played junior rep league, but not sure where his priority lies - I think rugby but stand to be corrected if this is not so. Same with Cochrane I think - I don't think he is physical enough for league though.
Lough,Walker & Cook are are in the NGS squad so Papa rates them. I think Halaifonua is probably the best forward on form.
Cochrane has lost his mojo,I am sure he is disappointed with his form this year.He did not play at the trials and was picked on reputation.As was the other ISA winger Taylor.
Cooks League days are over, Parker in the ISA 2's and Taylor in the 1's are really the only ones likely to go further in League.
Edit: Currie from Gregs also may go further in the other code.

PedrosSon

Frank Row (1)
News of 1st xv Augustines and Oakhill fixture tomorrow night at rats park. If so is anyone able to give a full match review and what is everyone else's tips for this week with st pats hosting kinross and pius to take on st gregs with stannies taking on the bye for this weeks isa 1st division round 3 ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lough and Walker are only in year 11 at Auggies. They are very accomplished and confident footballers. Like the young View (GPS) team, they will be watched with interest this year but will be definately ones to look out for in 2014.

There is a good crop of loose forwards who will hit their straps in 2014 across GPS, ISA and CAS (Burkett, Woodhill, Menzies, Crichton et al.) with not much more than a cigarette paper's thickness between many of them. Most of them are in NGS or JGS programmes, with impressive representative CV's already behind them.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Lough,Walker & Cook are are in the NGS squad so Papa rates them. I think Halaifonua is probably the best forward on form.
Cochrane has lost his mojo,I am sure he is disappointed with his form this year.He did not play at the trials and was picked on reputation.As was the other ISA winger Taylor.
Cooks League days are over, Parker in the ISA 2's and Taylor in the 1's are really the only ones likely to go further in League.
Edit: Currie from Gregs also may go further in the other code.
Tukipili, I think from Auggies is going great guns as well, Big Strong Lad, A Kid to watch, Taylor playing with Manly's Holden Cup Team in Starting Side, Big Future.

Status
Not open for further replies.