• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I did not see the game, and so do not wish to comment on it only to respond to a couple of earlier posts to this effect; It has never been part of the Rugby Culture at Strathfield to bleat about the Result, or blame the Ref - (no matter how justified or unjustified such blame may be) - rather, it has been a long-admired tradition of leaving your results on the field, and then shaking hands after the game, Losing graciously, is often harder than Winning in the same manner (unless you are Clive Woodward) - and this has long been coached into the men in black.

Life will go against you sometimes, and sometimes often. Well-done to Kinross on a good result and a strong season!

Well said, and that to me was what the original post from a St Pat's supporter said. The winning try from a knock-on was simply mentioned as a fact of life, followed by congratulations to Kinross on winning. I've gone back and read it and for the life of me I can't see how anyone could call it ref bashing. Surely people are allowed to point out an error. In fact, I think a Pat's supporter also pointed out that the referee had a good match, but unfortunately made an error at the end.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Well said, and that to me was what the original post from a St Pat's supporter said. The winning try from a knock-on was simply mentioned as a fact of life, followed by congratulations to Kinross on winning. I've gone back and read it and for the life of me I can't see how anyone could call it ref bashing. Surely people are allowed to point out an error. In fact, I think a Pat's supporter also pointed out that the referee had a good match, but unfortunately made an error at the end.

I don't think I accused anyone of Ref bashing - in fact I had largely in mind a prior post which said words to the effect of "Load of Rubbish, Pats should have won"... Not exactly an analytical opinion.

No harm in pointing out controversial decisions, but 'shoulda' 'woulda' & 'coulda' were banned terms, when i played Rugby. I have seen little reason to change that opinion.

and I just find blaming the ref after a match, to be... so.... English...

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't think I accused anyone of Ref bashing - in fact I had largely in mind a post post which said words to the effect of "Load of Rubbish, Pats should have won". Not exactly an analytical opinion.

No harm in pointing out controversial decisions, but 'shoulda' 'woulda' & 'coulda' were banned terms, when i played Rugby. I have seen little reason to change that opinion.

and I just find blaming the ref after a match, to be. so.. English.
Wasn't accusing you of saying people were ref bashing - I apologise if it came out that way. I was actually agreeing with you, maybe I said it is a strange way.

Others earlier had indicated that referees shouldn't be criticised and I think that simply pointing out that a mistake has been made is different from bagging the ref.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Wasn't accusing you of saying people were ref bashing - I apologise if it came out that way. I was actually agreeing with you, maybe I said it is a strange way.

Others earlier had indicated that referees shouldn't be criticised and I think that simply pointing out that a mistake has been made is different from bagging the ref.

True enough... The standard of refereeing at schools will never be what it could be - its not the nature of the beast, and it will remain a voluntary pass-time for a long time to come yet.

I imagine that CHS must be even harder hit in this regard, given all the rules & regs relating to what their teachers can and cannot do outside hours without being paid to do so...

Teach the kids to obey the ref, accept his decisions, and respond to a bad call by lifting your own game, and all will be largely well...

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Other Results from last Saturday in Div 2

Chevalier 12 def. St Andrews 7
Central Coast 28 def. SCEGGS Redlands 15

Redfield ? vs. All Saints?

Chev and and CCCGS tied on top of the table before a 3 week break and a top of the table match at Chev.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Mod note: deleted as requested by poster

You wouldn't swap any of the St Pats forwards for a Kinross player.. We're you at the same game? St Pats scored three tries, all through well executed forward play. #3 scored two tries from pick n go and #6 scored the other from a quick tap following a Kinross scrum infringement. Ahh the Kinross scrum, useless. Surely you'd rather some front rowers who can win there own ball with a loose head feed. Did Kinross chew up meters through the forwards? Did Kinross dominate the lineout? Based on Saturdays performance #8 from Kinross Bill Freeman is the sole Kinross forward who stepped up.

On the other hand the backs for Kinross were tremendous. I do agree they were smothered with a rushing (offside) defense by St Pats. If I recall correctly they were penalized once or twice but should've numerous other times. I also agree with your statement regarding the replacement #8 for pats and the #10 for Kinross. The sub was good but had no effect on the Kinross 10.

In terms of the try saga. It is unfortunate for St Pats and at the end of the day Kinorss would've much preferred that call to go there way opposed to a handful of missed offsides. I was on the side of the incident and I can't say I agree with your account of the officials reactions. They were understandably annoyed although they weren't in the face of the referee at the time of the incidence. If they spoke to him after then I have no problem with that as clarification of his interpretation may be considered important to those involved. I could only imagine that any other team put in the same situation would react in a similar manner. I'm sure it wouldn't have been much fun heading back to Orange if a similar event was to occur to Kinross (which I strongly hope doesn't. These mistakes really need to be avoided at all levels).

As far as a teacher been a touchie, get over it. It happens at all ISA schools here and there. He is qualified and capable. You don't need to be genius to see a person drop a ball.

PedrosSon

Frank Row (1)
From the weekend St pats front 3 are the top form front rowers when it comes to the set piece securing countless number of tightheads i could only count kinross winning 3 of their own loosehead and feed.This is mainly to the credit of the tighthead and hooker. Also who was the rampaging 17 for st pats? and why wasn't he playing the whole match the replacement number 8 had two touches each gaining 30 + was creating terrors for kinross captain (flyhalf) exposing his defence. In the case of the st pats kinross fixture i believe st pats lost it when they had ample amount of oppourtunity with 3 penalties all kickable places to put the dagger in the coffin with a penalty kick but oppting instead to go for seven which lead to a turnover giving kinross possesion leading to the try.

in no terms in my recent reply did i mention the referee's ruling of the game in fact i tried to steer right away from it as it is a part of the game that people just have to deal with. so the replies directly towards my comment i have received commenting on your own thoughts of the the refereeing are pointless.

I know it is early but to take matters off refereeing, are there any predictions for the round four fixture seeing:

Oakhill at home to take on St Pius
Augustines at home to take on St Stanislaus
St Gregory's to take on St Pats Venue unknown
Kinross Bye

?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^ Round 4 ISA Div 1 is after the holidays isn't it? No games this Saturday.

Yes

Oakhill at home to take on St Pius
Augustines at home to take on St Stanislaus
St Gregory's to take on St Pats Venue unknown
Kinross Bye
Oakhill
Auggies
St Pats
Kinross ( I hope)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a bit of a shame for the Stanies boys.

They would fancy their chances taking on an Auggies team that had just played a rep game vs CAS the day before.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Apparently ISA got a flogging from CAS yesterday, was anyone there?
It was a different team to last week in their playing Capabilities, there was no get up and go, no fire in the belly, Scrum was destroyed every scrum. Lots of unforced errors, basically the poor ISA Lads could not hold the ball, dropping it everytime. I don't know if Nerves played a part or what but was disappointing.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These are kids that we are talking about so I will spare the details, suffice to reinforce what @the roar has said above. Apart from the #5 Anderson from Oakhill, and to an extent the #12 Currie from Gregs, most of the team had a very forgettable game and any that were selected for higher honours should consider themselves very lucky that the Selectors appear to have given them the benefit of the doubt.

The Coach/s seemed to also have a forgettable performance. They did not seem to observe the extra starch the forwards got against CHS when the St Pats Prop came on, and I think that they had better second row options on the bench which were never used.

The Backline seemed to also need some fresh blood from the bench as the starting lineup were bamboozled by a composed CAS backline that had clear rugby skills and experience that seemed to be lacking from the CHS boys. The Coaches did not seem to have a plan B as they continued to try the razzle dazzle rugby that was so successful against CHS. When it didn't work, they continued to try more of the same.

Credit must be given to CAS who played a very composed game plan and put the highly fancied ISA backline under pressure that they are not all that accustomed to given the dominance of Auggies in the ISA domestic competition and the realitively soft game against the CHS.

Conversely there are very few easy games in the CAS and GPS weekly competitions.

ISA would most likely benefit from more trial matches if they are to consistently realise the potential that they seem to have.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
These are kids that we are talking about so I will spare the details, suffice to reinforce what @the roar has said above. Apart from the #5 Anderson from Oakhill, and to an extent the #12 Currie from Gregs, most of the team had a very forgettable game and any that were selected for higher honours should consider themselves very lucky that the Selectors appear to have given them the benefit of the doubt.

The Coach/s seemed to also have a forgettable performance. They did not seem to observe the extra starch the forwards got against CHS when the St Pats Prop came on, and I think that they had better second row options on the bench which were never used.

The Backline seemed to also need some fresh blood from the bench as the starting lineup were bamboozled by a composed CAS backline that had clear rugby skills and experience that seemed to be lacking from the CHS boys. The Coaches did not seem to have a plan B as they continued to try the razzle dazzle rugby that was so successful against CHS. When it didn't work, they continued to try more of the same.

Credit must be given to CAS who played a very composed game plan and put the highly fancied ISA backline under pressure that they are not all that accustomed to given the dominance of Auggies in the ISA domestic competition and the realitively soft game against the CHS.

Conversely there are very few easy games in the CAS and GPS weekly competitions.

ISA would most likely benefit from more trial matches if they are to consistently realise the potential that they seem to have.
My recent Mail is that apparently most of the ISA Team had the dreaded Flu/Cold which certainly would not have helped their performance as they looked disinterested compared to last weeks win. There were a lot of boxes of Tissues distributed in the Change rooms and a lot had gone straight home to bed after the game. I am sure Selectors have been watching not just yesterday's game but plenty of others.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Almost Suzie the Waitress scenario.:)

I give the NSW Schools Selectors the benefit of doubt. "One Swallow is not spring" etc. Clearly they see more in the boys then the boys showed yesterday, otherwise they would not have been selected.

It is bloody hard to look good in a team that is being comprehensively outplayed, and it is good to look awesome when your team wins by 77-5 points.

If I was Mr ISA, I would still be trying to arrange more official trial games for the ISA boys.

CAS were caught with their pants down by the CHS team that were ordinary against both ISA and GPS. In their game 2 and game 3 they improved, and perhaps helped by Darwinian natural selection of the fittest, to such an extent that they were relatively speaking competitive against GPS and ambushed a "disinterested" ISA.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
St.Pats vs Barker, trial, @ Pats this Sat, 1sts & 2nds only, early games 11.00am & 12 noon I think. How are Pat's going will it be a good match-up?

footylover101

Allen Oxlade (6)
A surprising game down at Strathfield today. St Pats were carrying around 30 players consisting of players from 1sts 2nds and 3rd and Barker had about 22 players only missing Harry Jones from the regular starting side.

1st Quarter: Both teams fielded full strength XVs. The deplenished St Pats back line really surprised all present and held there own against a very skillful Barker back line, who lacked a solid platform. The real focus of the quarter was the forwards. From the kick off St Pats played with more aggression and niggled the Barker forwards into a tough position. St Pats dominated the scrum and the collisions in both attack and defense. It was very evident that the Barker forwards are their weaker half and they really didn't stand up against an aggressive St Pats pack. Score 0-0

Quarter 2&3: St Pats played there 2nds and 3rds for both these quarters and Barker had a much stronger side available to the with 20 odd players. St Pats played well in these quarters, though unsurprisingly they were no match for the CAS front runners. Barker would have scored 3 or 4 tries in this time.

Quarter4: 1sts vs 1sts again. A converted try a piece finishing 7-7 between the two first sides, a very strong effort by the St Pats boys, who were rightfully very pleased with themselves.

The St Pats forwards really showed up the Barker pack with a lot of aggression, niggle and execution. This bodes very well for St Pats coming into their fixture with St Greg's who generally struggle with their forward play.
This is great for pats, barker do have a weak forward pack compared to their backline. Out of curiosity was Tyson Davis playing? He also made the Australian Schools 'A' side.

Status
Not open for further replies.