• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Albert Hopoate already plays a year up I'm told, so will only be 15 in 2016 and thus outside the 2 year ARU window to play opens.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
Concerned with the two round format, especially with it's effect on the weaker schools (which is every school apart from Auggies and Oaks).

Whilst "mum and dad" will tolerate going west to Orange or Bathurst once a year, twice a year might be less tolerated. Not to mention the travel within the Sydney area itself - Oxford Falls to Narabeen to Strathfield to Castle Hill to ... Comparing to GPS and CAS is not comparing apples with apples - you could throw a blanket over the GPS schools (ignoring TAS) in Sydney e.g. the longest travel west is to North Parramatta (TKS)!

Similarly, whilst "little Johnnie" will tolerate a thumping from Auggies once a year, twice a year might be less tolerated.

My concern is not so much this year (as most won't know about the two round format until it happens), but more in the years ahead. The reality is that most boys at the weaker schools are playing rugby for fun, and large amounts of travel and consistent thumpings aren't seen by many as fun!

My prediction for 2016 ... Auggies by a length from Oaks, with the others still coming around the bend.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Concerned with the two round format, especially with it's effect on the weaker schools (which is every school apart from Auggies and Oaks).

Heard on the grapevine that the two round format will include a combined Gregs/Pius fixture. Not combined teams, just a combined fixture so that Gregs and Pius teams essentially make up one lot of opposition for an opponent to play.

Not a bad idea. I wonder if that's what Grammar and High do now.

Rugbytragic2015

Bob McCowan (2)
Unfortunately Knox too strong today beating Auggies 31-15. It was a good competition with both sides making good yards up the middle. Knox line out wasn't working and Auggies centres were a handful. However Jnox were very well drilled and had a great rolling maul.

Players of the game included:

Knox 10 who scored a try and converted 3
No. 3 prop - very fast
15 - fantastic first half but went off injured,
And man of the match was number 8 who scored twice and dominated

Auggies 18 had a great game and was a handful
12 and 13 also played well with searching runs.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Couple of trial games during the week.
Wednesday Auggies v touring Brisbane school Villanova 84-0.
Today v Canberra school St Edmunds 55-7.
1st IV seem to have found their rhythm.

H

Hoopsy7

Pius defeated Aloys 12-5 and showing great potential for the oncoming season.
Standout performances for Pius were:
Max Magee- Some great breaks that led to a vital try.
Ryan Bento- Ran hard and straight throughout the game.
Sam Stanley- Aggressive work at the breakdown and ran hard at the defence.

R

Runpasstackle

Mods Note: OP has been moved to the Scholarship Thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2016 Rugby Calendar

30 April - Round 1
7 May - Round 2
10 May - ISA Trials Opens and U16 @ St Piux X Ovals, Oxford Falls
14 May - Round 3
21 May - Round 4
28 May - Round 5
4 June - Round 6
5 June - ISA Rep Training @ BMGS
18 June - Round 7
19 June - NSW Schools Trials @ Rat Park. ISA I & II vs CCC and CHS. U16 trials as well.
23 June - ISA Rep Training at Oakhill College
24 June - NSW Schools Opens Trials at Knox Grammar (Curugal fields)
25-26 June NSW Schools U16 Trials at Knox Grammar
23 July - Round 8
30 July - Round 9
6 August - Round 10
13 August - Semi Finals (Div II Only [I think])
20 August - Finals (Div II Only [I think])

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
2016 Rugby Calendar

30 April - Round 1
7 May - Round 2
10 May - ISA Trials Opens and U16 @ St Piux X Ovals, Oxford Falls
14 May - Round 3
21 May - Round 4
28 May - Round 5
4 June - Round 6
5 June - ISA Rep Training @ BMGS
18 June - Round 7
19 June - NSW Schools Trials @ Rat Park. ISA I & II vs CCC and CHS. U16 trials as well.
23 June - ISA Rep Training at Oakhill College
24 June - NSW Schools Opens Trials at Knox Grammar (Curugal fields)
25-26 June NSW Schools U16 Trials at Knox Grammar
23 July - Round 8
30 July - Round 9
6 August - Round 10
13 August - Semi Finals (Div II Only [I think])
20 August - Finals (Div II Only [I think])

Think you'll find that round 1 is the 7 May - maybe Div 2 starts a week early? And that Round 10 of Div1 is 13 August

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^You may be right @QH.
My dates were taken off the ISA Web site, which is not all that user friendly.

I'd have thought that Div I going to a Home and Away competition would have seen an alignment of rounds with Div II.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The full 2016 ISA Div 1 draw is included here:

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2016/news/sydney-schools-rugby-draws-2016/

Interesting to see that The Bye has been kicked out of ISA, and Pius and Gregs have combined as a single Competition entity.
I'm guessing Pius 1st XV will play School 1st XV, while Gregs 1st XV will play School 2nd XV, Pius 2nd XV v School 3rd XV, Gregs 2nd XV v School 4th XV (or vice versa) and so on through the age groups.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out.
I wonder what impact this may have may be for the 3rd XV/Age Group "C"/ISA Div III competition. In 2015 the ISA Div 3 School teams (BMGS, Oxley, Scots etc) played the ISA Div I schools in 3rd XV and Age Group C competitions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Have seen an Augustine's fixture list for round 1. Stannies are only fielding 3 teams in 13s and 2 teams in 14s up per age group. Great news for the Augustine's boys who don't have to make the trip, but not so great for rugby. IIRC Stannies used to have 4 plus teams per age group?

And it's only the first year of the 2 round competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Aust Schools Website shows the draw for selection trials on 19 June at Rat Park:
>http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2016/news/sydney-schools-rugby-draws-2016/

In another innovative move by ISA (or NSW SRU or both), it is interesting that there will be 4 ISA teams with an ISA III XV playing a combined ISA Div 2/Div 3 team, as well as the usual ISA I v CHS I & ISA II v CCC fixtures. Wonder how that will happen?

Occasionally there is a player from an ISA Div 2 School who makes it to NSW I or NSW II. Will that player now be limited to the ISA Div 2/Div 3 team, and therefore only get 1 game in front of the selectors, or will they find themselves in ISA I or ISA II on merit and get a chance to impress the selectors on 2 occasions, against "better" quality opposition?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The way that playing numbers in ISA are declining (Pius, Gregs & Stannies at least with less teams this year and possibly others) sounds like just about everyone with any ability will get a rep jersey.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It will be like AAGPS in 2014 where the 6 1st Tier schools produced 4 AAGPS rep teams: 1stXV, 2ndXV, AAGPS White & AAGPS Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.