• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From what I witnessed on Saturday the St Pius 1st XV would give any 1st XV in the ISA a run for their money, especially considering one of their better players was watching from the sidelines. Would like to see the boys from Chatswood in the 1st XV comp next year.
Also, a note to the ISA administration --- please update your website.

The reason that they are in the 2nd XV competition is twofold. Firstly, they decided to go to a shared position in the draw with Gregs - one assumes this is because they felt they didn't have the depth of other schools. Secondly they played Gregs the week before the competition started in 1sts, 16As, 15As, 14As and 13As - in the games that Pius won they took the A position in the draw and vice versa for the games that Gregs won. So the reason that their 1st XV are in the 2nds competition is that they lost this match to Gregs and Gregs are yet to win a match in 1sts. I'm not sure how Pius firsts would give "any first XV in the ISA a run for their money"

Outsideback21

Bob McCowan (2)
Watched the Stannies game and whilst the Anderson Goddard shoes are big ones your friends at Castle Hill are probably 17 years old and frustrated 2nds players. The team was frustrated by a good stannies game plan, kick away once ahead, and a referee who seemed determined to slow the play by allowing the home team to hold the ball for indeterminate periods whilst penalising Oaks quickly and often. The number 9 looked comfortable, the 10 I understand was just back from injury and the rest of the backline is fairly fresh to 1sts. The forwards are great and so is the fullback. They will regroup and beat Stannies by more than three tries at home. Auggies will do the same.
I feel you're overestimating the strength of Oakhill this year. Whilst play definitely slowed down in the second half of the game, I've been told that this was due to a lot of scrums resulting from erratic passes from the 9,10 combo that led to a number of blunders and knock ons. That being said, I did hear very good things about the outside backs, the number 15 particularly being quick on his feet and causing havoc in attack. Counting out the Oakes boys would be foolish in my opinion, but at the same time I wouldn't underestimate Stannies later this year, a win is a win and at some stage refs need to stop being blamed. Should be an interesting season

nothismum

Frank Nicholson (4)
You clearly did not watch the game. Whilst there were a couple of wayward passes this does not require you to question the a particular player when that said player has been playing as the backup to Goddard last year. That said that player also set up 2 of the five tries directly. A good scummy does more than just pass the ball. That said the tries were five apiece and penalties and conversions won the game. Very little was said about the ref, just in passing. The 15 was brilliant, the wingers were a little quiet yet the week before against st gregs were blistering. One day in the office really. Not discounting Stannies, they were good in patches but played best in the last 10 minutes and locked out any attacking play. Kudos.

counterruck44

Bob McCowan (2)
Been hearing rumours from the ASC Bathurst camp that the boys in red are growing tired of their current position in ISA div 2 and wish to join the ISA 1st division 3rds comp and test their strengths against the higher standard of rugby.
ASC according to sources wish to challenge the Stannies 3rds sometime this year to see if their position in the ISA is worth changing. Would be interesting to see the results of a local Bathurst Darby, would be good for ASC and the ISA as a whole!

S

schoolboy genius

all due respec
Been hearing rumours from the ASC Bathurst camp that the boys in red are growing tired of their current position in ISA div 2 and wish to join the ISA 1st division 3rds comp and test their strengths against the higher standard of rugby.
ASC according to sources wish to challenge the Stannies 3rds sometime this year to see if their position in the ISA is worth changing. Would be interesting to see the results of a local Bathurst Darby, would be good for ASC and the ISA as a whole!

all due respect counterruck44, ASC coming up into the 3rds comp would be pointless. for trial games pre season, then sure but for one ISA div 2 team to come up into div 1 3rds comp would seem redundant

counterruck44

Bob McCowan (2)
all due respec

all due respect counterruck44, ASC coming up into the 3rds comp would be pointless. for trial games pre season, then sure but for one ISA div 2 team to come up into div 1 3rds comp would seem redundant
Don't see the issue considering Blue Mountains Grammar and Scots School Bathurst have slotted in the 3rds comp quite well and are holding their own against the tougher competition. ASC should be more involved with other Bathurst schools to reignite hometown rivalry and liven up schoolboy rugby in Bathurst!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

Schools need to be playing in competitions where they are evenly matched with similar strength schools/teams.

Big mismatches are not good for anyone and there is a duty of care to avoid them because of the risk of injury to to weaker side.

GPS addressed this with High, Grammar and TAS playing in the Thirds comp. Which by and large has worked well and created a lot of interest in that comp.

If ASC are too strong for where they are, then there seems to be logic in what you are suggesting,

Outsideback21

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with counterruck44. While ASC would get utterly and completely decimated in the 1st XV comp, I think putting them in the Third XV comp would be beneficial, as they're a stronger team than both BMGS and Scots Bathurst. Would really do wonders for the boys in the central west, although I could see an issue with logistics if the amount of schools don't match up. However, that's an issue for minds smarter than mine! Personally I'm all for it, more games for the 3rd grade boys only improves the standard of rugby throughout the season.

S

schoolboy genius

disappointing to see my post deleted (presumably by a pats supporter) about the reoccurring bias shown towards visiting teams in Breen oval. obviously there is always a home ground advantage for each school. however in the case of Pats it always seems to be more of an average advantage. thoughts?

Outsideback21

Bob McCowan (2)
disappointing to see my post deleted (presumably by a pats supporter) about the reoccurring bias shown towards visiting teams in Breen oval. obviously there is always a home ground advantage for each school. however in the case of Pats it always seems to be more of an average advantage. thoughts?
Agree completely. It's reasonable to expect a home ground advantage to occur, but at Pats this is taken too far. Have witnessed games where the referee has actually been a parent of one of the players, which in my opinion is unacceptable and should not be allowed to happen in the first place. The issue is only heightened by blatant dirty play from Pats players, which is a shame, as they can play brilliant rugby when they aren't caught up in dirty niggle. Bias definitely is an issue

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)

I always thought that the refs were appointed by NSW Rugby in the 1s &2s not the school? (If this isn't the case then your argument has a case)However it is well know that a good crowd can sway a ref and St Pats are one of the more vocal schools in the ISA when it comes to cheering.

On the ball

Frank Row (1)

You are obviously close to a good source counterruck.
In one day you have gone from interested to see how All Saints are fairing to hearing rumours that they are tired of Div 2.

Schools in Div 3 (Div 1 3rds/C teams) are in that comp because they were uncompetitive against Div 2 schools and have found a better match against weaker opposition.

Div 2 is a good standard for ISA schools with one team per age division. Strong individual teams can dominate a comp but schools are placed based on the performance of their full line of teams U13-1sts.

All Saints finished behind Redfield, Chevalier and St Andrew's in the Div 2 schools championship last year so they are well placed in Div 2.

outsidein22

Bob McCowan (2)

Can understand where you are coming from with Gregs been on the receiving end of 4 yellow cards, but reality is Gregs were continuously infringing around the breakdown when St Pats were on attack. 4 yellow cards was overkill but Gregs only have themselves to blame, because had their discipline been better they would have most likely won the game. They have the run, pass and tackle skills to match it with anyone in the ISA but need to fine tune their discipline. You will also find that the referee appointments for the 1st XV games are made by Sydney Referees, independent of the school. They could've had the same ref in Campbelltown. It's easy to point the finger when things don't go your way and blame refs and bias. Gregs need to stick with it and prove a point when they play St Pats in a few weeks time. There are a lot of criticisms of the Home/Away draw, but one of the best parts is that each team will get a home game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
disappointing to see my post deleted (presumably by a pats supporter) <rest of post deleted>

Not a Pats supporter. There is always a reason why posts disappear.

Let's stop bagging referees. See point 4.
That is why posts are deleted.

OK enough talk about foul play in games or alleged foul play.

There are four areas at least that we should not write about in a schoolboy forum because they incite abuse whether that be direct or sarcastic.

1. Scholarship issues (use only the scholarship thread for this).

2. Fights - and whose fault it was and "I was at the ground and this is what I saw…" comments.

3. Foul play - and whose fault it was and whether or not it was deliberate and whether of not the punishment was condign, or not - and "I was at the ground and this is what I saw…" comments..

4. Criticism of the referees who are trying their best and are mostly good.

And it doesn't matter if you're right

The season is about to start and mods like Cyclopath and myself, but especially Hugh Jarse, the boss of the schools' threads, will just delete such posts in the future and not necessarily with any explanation.

And this will be done if only a part of a post is untoward - we will zap the lot.

People are encouraged to use the Report function if they see transgressions.

Thank you all.

Stephen Moore

Bob McCowan (2)
I think that the ISA division 2 comp is really valuable and an effective system for the slightly weaker rugby schools. The only reason I can see ASC should move upward into Division 1 is if they carve the division 2 competition and can put a competitive team in the Firsts.

Also keen to see some tips for the weekend, there are some big games Oaks v Pats and the local western rivalry SSC v KWS. I will be at KWS watching and I'm keen to see how they fare. Heard Stannies are plagued with injuries with Mcniven, Hardie and Veitch all in less then great health.
I pick Oakhill over Pats by a try
Augs over Gregs by a couple of tries
And KWS beat Stannies by 2 points (could go either way though)

the bulldog

Stan Wickham (3)
Interested to see what happens if kws are able to beat the boys from bathurst this weekend especially in the ages (13's and 15's) where stannies had alot of central west reps, news out of bathurst is a minority of parents have caused a stink and all rep players must come back through the b's. If true it could very well cost them a isa title

Status
Not open for further replies.