• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James Horwill cited for stamping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After the last two tours, why is anyone surprised? In 2001 they nearly succeeded in smearing ROG for McRae's thuggery. We had the last laugh when that c''t turned up in TP playing for Gloucester. I don't see the point in all the whinging after the event, the fix is always in so let the Southern Hemisphere get on financially without The Lions. How much must the ARU be making out of this Lions tour?

Frankly, Macrae must have been on his own secret mission: I, for one, was very keen for ROG to play.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
not my beloved IRB, If you've seen the replay of the stamping how can you say he was knocked off balance by the lions charging the ruck then put your right foot outside your left to steady your self surely you would put your right foot to the right of your left foot, was a fucking carve up, if it had been a gold shirt on the end of someones boot he'd be on the boat home and you know it

On the other hand if he truly wanted to stamp on Jones' head, don't you think he would have planted his right foot first to the right to steady himself then have a go with his left?

D

daz

I thought James might be in a bit of trouble here and if I didn't know the utter unpredictability of the IRB judiciary I would have thought they might have taken the same line.

I can see why there might be a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the NH over this result.

All the same, thank gawd Horwill is available this week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can see why there might be a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the NH over this result.

Me too - but why is it a "SH conspiracy"?
The conspiracy theorists can send them a letter - here's the address:
THE INTERNATIONAL RUGBY BOARD
Huguenot House
35-38 St Stephen's Green
Dublin 2
Ireland

or phone them - its a local call:
Tel: 00 353 1 240 9200
Fax: 00 353 1 240 9201

D

daz

Me too - but why is it a "SH conspiracy"?

It isn't, of course.

Both NH and SH are lumbered with a judicial process that seems to release outomes based on "darts on a wall" or "chocolate wheel judgements" rather than looking at what everyone else seems to be able to see pretty clearly.

Swings and roundabouts, I guess, but it isn't a conspiracy. It's voodoo magic.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Loathe as I am to suggest lawyering up the process any more than it is already: do they publish some reasons for their decision?
Edit:
Judicial officer Nigel Hampton QC (Quade Cooper) found that on the balance of probabilities, the Horwill could not be found guilty of an intentional or deliberate action of stamping or trampling under law 10.4(b).

"After hearing all the evidence I could not find that, when James Horwill's right foot came into glancing contact with Alun-Wyn Jones' face, that he was acting recklessly," Hampton said. Horwill appeared to stamp on Alun-Wyn Jones in the third minute, with video evidence showing that his boot grazed the side of the lock's face, who had to get stiches after the game.

"I found that I could not reject as being implausible or improbable Horwill's explanation that, as he was driving forward with his right leg raised, he was spun off balance through the impact of Lions players entering the ruck from the opposite side," Hampton continued.

"In an endeavour to regain his balance, Horwill brought his right leg to the ground unknowing that Alun-Wyn Jones' head was in that area, due to having his sight impeded by the presence of Michael Hooper and Tom Croft who were beneath him and over the top of Alun-Wyn Jones.

"Due to these reasons, I cannot uphold the citing."
http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/06/32...alleged-stamp-on-alun-wyn-jones-in-first-test

Reactions: gel

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Glad that Horwill has got off, it was accidental and if the Lions win I'd prefer to have beaten a full choice Wobs team. Some of the reaction by the Lions fans have been embarrassing, I don't want to go into other incidents but many Lions fans complaining are guilty of serious double standards. Also most of them don't seem to realize it was a Kiwi QC (Quade Cooper) that has cleared him, I think your clutching at straws when you imply a Kiwi is being biased towards an Australian to help the Wallabies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Well it wouldn't be a Lions tour without some controversy JSRF! Nearly every one I've witnessed has had something for the fans to debate or complain about. The fix is most certainly not in, we just got lucky.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
What a joke. Can't say i am surprised. Judiciaries have been allowing this kind crap for years - from every country.

It'll put off parents wanting their children from playing the game when it is condoned in this way.

Horwill's stomp wasn't too bad, but was at least worth a few weeks or more.

Oh and this - "Judicial officer Nigel Hampton accepted Horwill was driven off balance with leg raised and didn't know AWJ was underneath him."

..means the Aussie captain is probably an outright liar.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
When you think about all the rugby incidents between Ireland and amongst the Home Nations over the years it's amazing that the Lions actually works as a concept.
I like your thinking.
Distract the buggers by getting them to fight among themselves.
It works well in Australian politics too.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Well it wouldn't be a Lions tour without some controversy JSRF! Nearly every one I've witnessed has had something for the fans to debate or complain about. The fix is most certainly not in, we just got lucky.

The incidents in 97 (Doddie Weir), 01 (ROG), 05 (BOD) and 09 (Fitzgerald) were all legitimate cases the Lions had, this one seems to be certain Lions fans/press corps peddling the biased SH judiciary as a fall back in case Australia win in Melbourne. Make no mistake about it if its 1-1 next Sunday morning the British and Irish press will be pointing out that Horwill shouldn't have been there to lead the Wallabies and it will detract from any debate about the real failings of the players and management. I know the last part is slightly off topic but it pisses me off when we don't see real journalism just the same old crap we get from the usual suspects every Lions tour.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It'll put off parents wanting their children from playing the game when it is condoned in this way.

C4toum3.jpg

I think people are getting very carried away now and I am sorry but when I read that sentence I could not help but picture this.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Have to say I find some of the "magic bullet" explanations of Horwill actions, from some Aus fans, very amusing.

Guy shouldn't be crucified or anything, but he should have been found guilty. As I said before I am glad he gets to play the remainder of the tests. Enough top players on both sides have been lost to injury already don't need to lose anymore for whatever reason.

Let's just hope it's the last such incident in the series and start looking forward to the Rebels game and the 2nd test.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Have to say I find some of the "magic bullet" explanations of Horwill actions, from some Aus fans, very amusing.

Guy shouldn't be crucified or anything, but he should have been found guilty. As I said before I am glad he gets to play the remainder of the tests. Enough top players on both sides have been lost to injury already don't need to lose anymore for whatever reason.

Let's just hope it's the last such incident in the series and start looking forward to the Rebels game and the 2nd test.

Agreed. The tour is already developing into a battle of who can get enough fit players on the paddock. Kev was lucky though.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I like your thinking.
Distract the buggers by getting them to fight among themselves.
It works well in Australian politics too.
If the Lions camp talk about it at all this week, I think you might find that this will unify and galvanize them more than anything else. "It's us against the world boys" and all that sort of crap. Wonderful motivation for a team that probably needs to lift it's physicality.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am waiting to see the twitters from Cosper surely he will be outraged......
oh thats right where'se from:p

Status
Not open for further replies.