• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan vs Wallabies, Nissan Stadium, Yokohama, Sat 4th Nov 4.40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Most of the kicks Hodge did inside our own half were bombs. A couple drifted a little close to the touch line but they were quite effective with Koroibete chasing. When Folau returns they could be a handy little play to have if Hodge can kick it into the stratosphere and make it contestable for Israel. The contestable kick hasn't been a major part of the Wallabies game for the past few years but with Hodge's boot, the speed of guys like Koroibete, and the aerial skills of Folau it could be a useful play. NZ used it very effectively against us for a period when Dagg and Smith were in the team before Folau was there to defuse a lot of them.

I noticed this too. First time in a long time a player put up solid bombs consistently. I'd love to keep Hodge at 10 if only he could pass... for me he is not just an average passer, he's a poor passer. I'm thinking 12 would be Hodge's long term position.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Judgment is almost always reserved with the Wobblies under Cheika because those of us with even a passable memory know that stringing 2 good games together is something they don’t do.
The only way to stop the negativity is to play well twice in a row. Whatever the actual result.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Judgment is almost always reserved with the Wobblies under Cheika because those of us with even a passable memory know that stringing 2 good games together is something they don’t do.
The only way to stop the negativity is to play well twice in a row. Whatever the actual result.

'Passable memory' - can't remember 2015. Good one.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
You mean where we should have lost to Scotland?

If you're going to go down that path then you only need to look at the last 8 games where we have beaten the All Blacks, thrashed Argentina twice and Japan, beaten the Barbarians with a B side and should have beaten the All Blacks again along with South Africa twice.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you're going to go down that path then you only need to look at the last 8 games where we have beaten the All Blacks, thrashed Argentina twice and Japan, beaten the Barbarians with a B side and should have beaten the All Blacks again along with South Africa twice.

As I said - the results are irrelevant its the manner in which the results are achieved that matters until RWC 2019: and some dimwit wants to paint RWC 2015 as an unmitigated success: the only game in that tournament when we played to our ability was v England. Contrary to popular mythology, its not winning thats a habit its playing well that's the habit:if you're in the habit of playing well you win a lot of games. Conversely, when you don't have a habit of playing well (which we do not for a number of reasons) you lose games you should not lose: Scotland 2017, Dunedin. I don't think we played well as a team against Japan or the Barbarians or Scotland in RWC2015: I gather you think that since we won those games thats all that matters. We disagree.

Reactions: dru

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You mean where we should have lost to Scotland?

What about the game this year where NZ should have lost to us?

Bledisloe 2? Reid knocked it on within the regather that lead to them winning the match?

If you want to look at where teams "should have lost" due to refereeing calls then the All Blacks dominance of the last four years doesn't look as impressive.

We beat Scotland at the World Cup and the All Blacks beat us this year and that's it. Right or wrong, it happened.

Good teams find a way to win and the fact that we even got to the Final in 2015 was remarkable given that we had to play Uruguay, Fiji, Wales, England, Scotland and Argentina to the All Blacks' Argentina, Tonga, Georgia, Namibia, France, South Africa.

Add that to the fact that Cheika had less than 12 months with a not-great Wallabies team to prepare for the tournament and it seems unbelievable that we got that far.

As a reminder, France were annihilated by Ireland in the group stages (who in turn were done in by Argentina) and South Africa lost to fucking Japan.

We had one of the hardest World Cup draws of all time compared to theirs which was one of the easiest.

You're utterly delusional if you don't think that World Cup campaign didn't include "stringing two good games together back-to-back".

I get it - we had a wobbly June series in 2017, didn't we? We lost to to a weak Scotland side - that wasn't a high point in the Wallabies history, but let's look at it in context, yeah?

We lost to Scotland after Australia's worst Super Rugby campaign of all time which caused the players to enter the national camp at all time low levels of fitness and confidence.

We then turned it around to draw with South Africa at altitude, come minutes away from beating NZ in NZ and we then beat NZ in the following game. All the while we've built some pretty handy depth.

The fact that not a single one of our players experienced a victory over any of their Kiwi counterparts, and scarcely any against their Saffa counterparts, within the year prior to the Rugby Championship makes our results seem even more insane.

But nah, terrible season. Amp up the negativity and burn it all down because thats all you really seem to know, Inside Shoulder, and it's incredibly boring. Why do you return to this forum when you seem to despise Australian Rugby so much?

T

TOCC

New Zealand was a very good win, but I’m not getting carried away with a win against Japan, after their win against South Africa it’s the second highest number points Japan have scored against a tier 1 nation in recent history. I thought the Wallabies conceded some soft tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wallabies won 2 from 6 in the rugby championship

Glass half empty, eh? Two draws against the Saffers is better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick, and the loss to New Zealand in Dunedin was an extraordinarily good performance.

One shambles out of 6. Most of us would be deliriously happy with that, after the last umpteen years. I know I am quietly confident that at last the Wobbs are looking a bit like a good rugby outfit.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Just caught up with a replay of the match. Japan tried hard all game.Mafi was strong and the fullback was very good in attack.

For the Wallabies, McMahon never stopped (until he was replaced), the front row all were very strong but for me Sio was a standout there. The Centres and Wings all had good games.

Rob Simmons was definitely channeling Muhommad Ali - floats like a bee, stings like a butterfly. Seems to be something wrong there.

Phipps started the game with a string of errors and pretty much kept it up while he was on. Hodge, for one, must have been relieved to get the swift, on target passes from Joe Powell when the swap was made. Powell's passing game is streets ahead of Phipps'.

Hanigan was again very ineffectual.

Everyone else played well. Was impressed with Philip's efforts when he came on. Quite a step up in dominating play from powder puff Simmons.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Inside Shoulder and TOCC have officially purged me out of this thread, I feel like I’m at a wake reading this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Just caught up with a replay of the match. Japan tried hard all game.Mafi was strong and the fullback was very good in attack.

For the Wallabies, McMahon never stopped (until he was replaced), the front row all were very strong but for me Sio was a standout there. The Centres and Wings all had good games.

Just on your point about taking McMahon off I think it's important to note we leaked the majority of their points when we had taken arguably our four best players in recent times off in Hooper, McMahon, Coleman, and Beale. The structure in the backline fell apart a bit with Rona playing out of position at fullback and no one to support Hodge at 10.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looking at whom we're playing in the next three weeks I can totally understand taking off those four players when we're about 30 in front. It also gave the coaching staff a good look at the depth in this squad; some were found a bit wanting.

Status
Not open for further replies.