• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan vs Wallabies, Nissan Stadium, Yokohama, Sat 4th Nov 4.40pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Although there are a few questions about the makeup of the backline, there is a real possibility that they will run amok. Hodge is not inexperienced at 10, and his defense there will be better than Foley's. Beale will be the second play maker, and probably the primary playmaker on most set piece occasions. He just might set Kerevi alight in the 12 spot, and Kerevi has shown in the past he is capable of setting up his outside backs. The wingers and Kuridrani might have a field day if Kerevi can effectively run off Beale. And while there are questions about Kerevi's defense at 13, I think he goes ok at 12. I don't see the need for musical chairs or barn dance defensive patterns with this lineup.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hodge at 10 is just a piss take... I hope he does well and proves me and others wrong but that selection just irritates the crap out of me...

The less said about Hanigan the better, he's the new Mumm

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Hodge at 10 is just a piss take. I hope he does well and proves me and others wrong but that selection just irritates the crap out of me.

Who would you have played there?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika thinks Hodge and Beale are adequate cover as playmakers and doesn't need Cooper in the squad.

Now it gets put to the test.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hodge at 10 is just a piss take. I hope he does well and proves me and others wrong but that selection just irritates the crap out of me.

Why is it a piss take? Who else do you put at 10 that's on tour? Beale? He'll likely spend half his time there anyway. Anyhow we know Cheika's pattern of attack is based on having a second distributor in the backline so that the 10 can act as a link man and challenge the line more often than a traditional 10. Moving Hodge into 10 allows Beale to maintain his role as the second playmaker and the attacking structure stays relatively the same. If we moved Beale to 10 and Hodge to 15 I don't think Hodge would play the second playmaker role nearly so effective as Beale would.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Until Folau, Hunt and TK are out of the way i'd say he has no chance of becoming a regular starter as a 13 or 15.

I'd say that is flat out wrong. Hunt has shown nowhere near the same level of talent as Hodge has. Hodge is faster, links better with other players, reads the game better, kicks for touch and goal much much better. For me he is Morty mkII. TK is a very solid player but he has had his lulls in form when he has been not required. Keep your eye on Hodge.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ok. I don't think anyone would disagree that would be ideal.

Do we have any?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Well no. Including Foley. But if Foley is the standard then at least Quade and Jono would be brought into the squad as back up.

Unless you are the great Cheika who, err thinks otherwise. And spread the shit sandwich instead.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd say that is flat out wrong. Hunt has shown nowhere near the same level of talent as Hodge has. Hodge is faster, links better with other players, reads the game better, kicks for touch and goal much much better. For me he is Morty mkII. TK is a very solid player but he has had his lulls in form when he has been not required. Keep your eye on Hodge.

The brief moment that we saw Hodge actually play his supposed best position, he committed a defensive misread which ultimately lead to us losing the game. Plus, even on the wing he's been guilty of defensive errors in the past. As far as i'm concerned neither he, nor Kerevi, will ever displace TK till they can defend like he can.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Hunt doesn’t match Hodge’ talent?

Look, Hodge is good. A super star in the making. Hunt is a better product I think right now.

I’d have room for both. And Beale and Folau.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well no. Including Foley. But if Foley is the standard then at least Quade and Jono would be brought into the squad as back up.

Unless you are the great Cheika who, err thinks otherwise. And spread the shit sandwich instead.

It's a risk sure but I think if Cheika was concerned that Foley's illness will go beyond this week he would call one of those 2 up. There's no need to for this game. As pointed out above if it read 10. Beale 15. Hodge most on here would be championing it even though they would have played an identical role with different numbers on their backs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's a risk sure but I think if Cheika was concerned that Foley's illness will go beyond this week he would call one of those 2 up. There's no need to for this game. As pointed out above if it read 10. Beale 15. Hodge most on here would be championing it even though they would have played an identical role with different numbers on their backs.

Apologies, I haven’t been clear. Neither Quade nor Jono should go anywhere near the Wallabies right now. Cheika has a plan, obviously I call this plan the shit sandwich. Now he eats the sandwich.

I personally would have had one of them in the squad as back up for this very obvious eventuality. Very obvious. Cheika didn’t, now he implements shit sandwich.

Whatever happens, I clearly think this shit sandwich was self made bollocks. But who knows he may pull it off against the Blossums. Fortunately it doesn’t effect much else at this stage.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hunt was underwhelming against the Barbarians. Hope he can get back to some of the form he was showing in June tests.

Strange, isn’t it, how some players should be given time following injury recovery. And others are fair game.

Reactions: gel
Status
Not open for further replies.