• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Why?

Force need players in other positions, with Morahan and DHP they have a couple of good outside backs. Signing a outside back on $1million when you're lacking at prop, lock, backrow, halfback and centre is pointless.

Signing him for marketing reasons would be stupid as well, Haynes value is in the east coast, specifically NSW and QLD, Hayne would generate less return for the Force then he would for the Tahs or Reds.

T

TOCC

I don't see the point in signing Hayne, the Tahs have one of the most marketable players in either code with Israel Folau, granted Hayne has exceeded Folau on the back of his NFL gig, but Jarryd Is all a ticking time bomb of bad publicity. His off-field rap sheet isn't endearing, he has walked out on his NFL dream after 12 months, what's to say he won't do the same to rugby union.

Where do you play him, on the wing? Waste of money, wingers aren't worth $1million/season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Will they offer him $1M? There will be no ARU top up. Thought the idea was he'd pick up $200K to $300k for Soup and a million in Europe or Japan.

T

TOCC

Europe and Super Rugby have an overlap, so he can't offset his earnings with a European contract.

As for Japan, they don't pay $1million for players, let alone one who has never played the game, he could maybe earn half that.

Force can't afford him without a top up from the ARU.. The only team who could sign him without ARU support is the Waratahs through third party deals.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Whilst he is an undoubtedly talented player I hope he doesn't sign with the Reds, it will only polarise Reds fans further
Meh.

There will be no ARU Top up.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'd love any franchise in oz to sign Hayne.
He is an exceptional athlete.
But more importantly,the Leaguies would all soil their undies,they wolud be apoplectic!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Why would the ARU help with a top up for a guy who is not Aus eligible.

I don't think our game needs him.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
He still needs to learn the game so playing in the NRC this year would be of value to him. If he turned out for the Western Sydney Rams it would generate publicity for them and the NRC that money simply could not buy and therefore would be well spent whatever it cost the ARU. I imagine he'd also draw more people to Waratahs' games. Remember how many people would turn out for them when they had Tiquiri, Sailor, and Rogers?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Still talk that Hayne a chance for Super Rugby.

Commercial reality is would be great for our game (those who scoff just fail imo to see what hype and interest their is around Hayne and is a marketers dream) and an Oz super rugby franchise to sign such a high profile athlete for the publicity it would attract and in particular interest from league fans in our game is unbelievable commercial value hard to price.

Unfortunately I can't see how it could happen without ARU top up payments given not eligible for wallaby selection. Personally would not be against ARU marquee payments for what he would bring marketing wise to try and get him into Oz super rugby franchise as got to think big. I know latter won't happen as rugby very conservative and would be concerned about precedents it would have.

This is why rugby continues to struggle against other codes in Oz as just lacks the killer edge in being able to implement innovative and game changing strategies to grow the game like what other codes like A-League, AFL etc have done.

Bit like its 2020 strategy - having a strategy is one thing - having ability to execute is another and where not so sure ARU has the nouse to do so. Like to be proved wrong.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
TOCC completely disagree with you - Hayne's high profile would attract even more fans....just having one profile player does not mean adding another high profile player is not required. I really don't get your logic. As more star power you have in your team the more attractive the team.

Do you think clubs like Manchester United etc are built around just one super star.

Think bigger......

T

TOCC

TOCC completely disagree with you - Hayne's high profile would attract even more fans..just having one profile player does not mean adding another high profile player is not required. I really don't get your logic. As more star power you have in your team the more attractive the team.

Do you think clubs like Manchester United etc are built around just one super star.

Think bigger..

I never disagreed with any of this..

But It all comes down to money, Haynes value to Australian Rugby dropped the moment he pulled on a Fiji jersey, if he can't play for the Wallabies then his marketing value is less, his 'pulling power' is less and the opportunity for the ARU to capitalise on his profile is less..

What's the value of these new fans, how many does he bring through the gate for the Tahs? Where do you play him?
You don't pay a Super Rugby winger $1million a season..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fair enough TOCC - marketing wise I still believe the $1m spent would be worthwhile. It is only the current payments structure which is constraining our thinking.

If the ARU did the sums on how much value the publicity Hayne would attract in terms of increased media, increased viewers (league players watching games to watch Hayne) and bigger on ground crowds and that value is the many millions than logically to say paying Hayne $1m is not worthwhile does not commercially equate to reality. Instead if the sums stack up every effort should be made to see if can make it happen.

Got to think outside the box and if got corporate marquee sponsorship etc to make it happen I am all for it. I get comes with wider ramifications and creating precedents so would need to be carefully considered in bigger picture but I would not want ones thinking to be constrained by current rules as that stifles innovative thinking on doing things differently to do game changing strategies to grow the game's profile.

Those who have applied such game changing / disruptive innovative changes that look outside the box and seek to understand where can change the rules if warrants are the ones have the ones who have been successful. Just look at the A_League and their initial execution of the marquee strategy.

If you always be constrained by current rules and regulations and how things are done currently then you will fall behind as sporting landscape crowded and highly competitive. Rugby is being left behind because it is on the innovation curve very slow and bureaucratic with a lot of old school thinking holding it back compared to other codes not constrained by such thinking.

I reckon this is really at the heart of rugby's problem and what needs to change or having difficulty changing this culture quickly enough given how agile a lot of other competing sports codes are in competing for fans and followers.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
TOCC I think we are saying the same thing. I just elaborated on this a bit more as bit more behind this which worth raising beyond whether Hayne should or should not be a target for super rugby as yes agree about balancing up value he brings with the constraints can't represent wallabies vs what would need to be paid to bring him to Super rugby.

I guess what I am saying is I am not sure his star power may still be high even if could not represent wallabies and if could get some sort of corporate sponsorship etc to top up. Might require a bit more innovative thinking which I guess more the focus of my post - as yes don't disagree that given Hayne's can't represent Wallabies does raise some conjecture as to whether the sums would still stack up......

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or actually TOCC to highlight my point - A-League marquee strategy was to bring in high profile aged European players and pay them many millions despite knowing they would never represent Australia.

Huge success in growing A-League, so why could not the same be applied for getting Hayne to grow Super Rugby. And why could it not be equally a success.

Nope I still believe the thinking needs to change here as A-League showed such thinking can be successful.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
TOCC completely disagree with you - Hayne's high profile would attract even more fans..just having one profile player does not mean adding another high profile player is not required. I really don't get your logic. As more star power you have in your team the more attractive the team.

Think bigger..

Even more fans? Mungo fans have made their mind up about union and watching 2 games to see how he goes doesn't make them a fan. The big interest will come from added sponsorships. Super Rugby TV viewers are on the wane and if that is anything to go by the game is losing fans.

Hayne is not the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.