• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Given all the departures (and returns) its quite hard to come up with the 25 players or so who will be on a top up for next year....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But despite that he could help to the promotion of Super Rugby in OZ. The Media loves him, so Super Rugby would have more advertisement than the AFL lol

The League media will go through the cycles of grief like they did with Folau. And, if he's a success, player agents all over the NRL will start to use him as a lever.

Mungo fans will cream their daks over one of theirs conquering yet another sport.

I think he could do OK, but struggle with a structured defence (which the NRL doesn't have).

In any case, the ARU may facilitate a situation where he becomes a marquee player and allows him to play both here and overseas.

But if they tip a single dollar for his contract, then whole rugby hierarchy can go get fucked. I'd also consider the Tahs

This is a guy who will not feature on FTA TV on a regular basis in order to help the sport. Might get the odd Sunday morning slot on Channel 10's replay, and some news coverage of course.

But, unlike Folau, he won't be the face of anything worthwhile except to users who've already paid their money to get Fox.

So, but all means, let's talk. But let's also be careful about pissing away money on a non-qualified player.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Wouldn't mind if the ARU paid him to play in the NRC whilst he's still a rookie convert. No amount of money in any other circumstance will bring that competition significant media exposure. It would be money well spent. Also I'd be pretty miffed if he missed his first preseason with the Tahs playing in Japan. He'd be next to useless when he returns.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The League media will go through the cycles of grief like they did with Folau. And, if he's a success, player agents all over the NRL will start to use him as a lever.
Mungo fans will cream their daks over one of theirs conquering yet another sport.

The former, not the latter sentiment. Dyed-in-the-wool league supporters and the red cordial media boosters can't see past their sport. If/when he signs for the Tahs he'll be forgotten other than be referred to as "former rugby league star" when he scores a try or two.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You've gotta think Hayne's a pawn short of a chess set here: fancy thinking he could ever crack the Fijian 7s squad. No experience in a foreign code (didn't he learn that when taking on American football?), body shape MASSIVELY all wrong, and an absolutely gun group of players in front of him. But, no, in the small fishpond of Australian rugby league he's the best athlete in the world, a shitty little sport like 7s is a doddle for yer man. Now he's gone and tied himself to one (very small and insignificant) country forever. Who can't pay him what he thinks he deserves.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who can't pay him what he thinks he deserves.

It would seem that the only sport where Hayne can realistically expect to earn $1m+ per season is the one he doesn't want to return to.

Hopefully if the Waratahs are genuinely interested they don't fall into the trap of thinking they have to come up with a deal (them + third party + Japanese off season) that is level with what he can get in the NRL.

There has to be a discount for the fact that he isn't worth nearly as much to rugby union and particularly rugby union in Australia (without Wallabies eligibility) as he is to the NRL.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't want Hayne in Super rugby next year if the ARU are having to tip money in. He's not qualified to play for the Wallabies, so his presence in Australian rugby doesn't help us at the top level. He's really cooked it IMHO. He could have come into the Tahs, got an ARU top up and maybe some Japanese footy go with it, then maybe taken Izzy's path and lined up in gold. Now those doors are more or less closed and he has a couple of choices: back to the NRL or playing overseas. If he's all about money then his manager should be on the phone to a couple of Japanese or European clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
"How can you keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Fiji?"

Hayne is obviously a restless soul. If he is just after an easy buck, France beckons.

However my guess is that he might be more interested in trying himself out in Soup. Hope so, anyway.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Its interesting to see the different perspectives and views here about the whole Hayne to Super Rugby thing, as there is a critical subtext here IMHO and I think this is the precursor.

So we all know the the ARU money maker is the Wallabies, however in this scenario its irrelevant.

Now, all the Super Rugby clubs are running at or close to a loss and the ARU are scrambling for ideas to to right the Super Rugby ship and get it healthy, and get the clubs to be operating in the black.

We all know bums on seats (at games and in front of the TV) makes money.

Is this the ARU having a crack at trying to bolster the Super Rugby competition and build the Super Rugby image and brand?

The NRC can't market off Wallaby players, but they could market off "marque" players, along the lines of what the A league did by bringing in a big name or two.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now, all the Super Rugby clubs are running at or close to a loss and the ARU are scrambling for ideas to to right the Super Rugby ship and get it healthy, and get the clubs to be operating in the black.

We all know bums on seats (at games and in front of the TV) makes money.

Is this the ARU having a crack at trying to bolster the Super Rugby competition and build the Super Rugby image and brand?

The NRC can't market off Wallaby players, but they could market off "marque" players, along the lines of what the A league did by bringing in a big name or two.

Super Rugby and NRC have the same problem: no easy FTA access. Can't really solve that problem for the good of rugby as a whole with a few extra bums on seats.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Super Rugby and NRC have the same problem: no easy FTA access. Can't really solve that problem for the good of rugby as a whole with a few extra bums on seats.

Very true, but we have to start somewhere.

FTA is the key, but if nobody wants to watch it then does it matter if its on FTA? It's hard to sell something nobody watches, and even harder to sell after it rates poorly on FTA.

If the Hayne train adds audience and interest, then it adds value to the product and increases the value to FTA and heading in the direction we need.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm not sure if this is off topic or not - this is being asked given money being spent has been referenced, what will have more long term benefit for our game;

• Signing a marquee player,
OR
  • Who was aware of this?

I spend a considerable amount of time enjoying my rugby, reading forums and keeping abreast of what is happening.

How many of us knew next week is
  • The biggest week of rugby in Australia"
  • National Rugby week.
I reckon the idea is great and with awareness it can do great things for our game.

If you have ideas on how to share, and promote, whilst being mindful of budget constraints please share. If your going to be critical - it doesn't help provide an outcome.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

FTA is the key, but if nobody wants to watch it then does it matter if its on FTA? It's hard to sell something nobody watches, and even harder to sell after it rates poorly on FTA.

If the Hayne train adds audience and interest, then it adds value to the product and increases the value to FTA and heading in the direction we need.

IIRC one of the reasons why FTA doesn't want super rugby is because they are worried it won't rate

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think you'd have to be a sky blue supporter to think that Groucho.

Most balanced observers understand that the Waratahs will be the recipients of the most benefit of the current ARU top up system, through no special treatment of the ARU.

There's limited cash available, the ARU needs to contract on the basis of what the Wallabies need, not leave that up to the discretion of each franchise equally. As a result, with NSW producing a large number of players, a large number will choose to be based in NSW, despite being able to earn their top up wherever they go in Australia.

That's the reality of the situation and what it needs to deliver.

Giving a player an ARU top up, when he's not eligible for the Wallabies, to play for the Waratahs who do receive the most benefit of the top up system would be flagrant favoritism for the Waratahs. Does anybody honestly believe if any other state brought forward the prospect of a player not eligible for the Wallabies, that the ARU would cough anything up for a top up?

You can't help where the Wallabies on Contracts choose to play, but helping one Super Rugby team, who has the most Wallabies, with money for a player not to help the national cause? Is the ARU going to establish a marquee fund for each franchise? What if the Force think bringing Aaron Sandilands across in the second row might be a huge marketing coup?

I'd be ultimately as happy if Hayne went to the Reds, Train Without a Station, or whatever franchise needs his contributions (in both senses) the most. If that makes me unbalanced, then color me blue, blue, blue, blue-white and pink.

Hayne will undoubtedly increase the marketability of rugby in Australia. Whether that outweighs his cost to Australian rugby is the question. Simply counting him (or any other asset) as a cost is one reason why we got to be cash-strapped in the first place. Our managers think and act like accountants while our competitors think and act like salesmen.

The other reason is dreary parochialism. People need to get past the obstacle of evaluating any opportunity based on whether it benefits some provincial team the most.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

I am entirely sure that Super Rugby would rate higher on FTA than Foxtel. Know several people that would watch who won't pay the privilege.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I wonder if he's speaking about the code more broadly when he says 'we will make a compelling offer'.

He doesn't say if that offer will come from the ARU, or a Super team.
Yes I've read elsewhere that there is no top uo.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wouldn't mind if the ARU paid him to play in the NRC whilst he's still a rookie convert. No amount of money in any other circumstance will bring that competition significant media exposure. It would be money well spent. Also I'd be pretty miffed if he missed his first preseason with the Tahs playing in Japan. He'd be next to useless when he returns.

Don't forget that he won't play TRC and the Europe's tour like Foley or Nick Cummins. And he hasn't played too much this year, just a few minutes for Fiji 7s, he's a fresh fish. In his situation a pre-season in Japan could be positive to make his first steps in the XV code

Status
Not open for further replies.