• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Could be time to give JOC (James O'Connor) a break.
His sins for a young bloke of 23 are more of a kid having a good time at 21 (missing the official launch for the RWC 2011-definitely a no no), having very late night coffees (he may be an insomniac {joke, Joyce}), and spitting the dummy with airline staff for a seating mix-up and coming up against the airport officials no tolerance policy (who amongst us here can throw the first stone on that situation) rather than drunken punch ups (e.g. Beale), drugs, or stealing.
The first two transgressions occurred during team time and may have been as a result of the Deans (mis-)management?
Missing out on the Wallabies and their EOYT to Europe would have cut him to the bone.
As a young player, he has a considerable amount to offer Australian rugby into the future, unless we, the fans, act similiarly to the Kiwi fans in their attitude to Quade Cooper.
We should be trying to work out how to solve his problems, rather than continually haranguing him as in this thread.
He's copped his punishment, so leave off, unless you've worn the gold jersey yourself; but then, in which case you would not be fueling the fire here.
I for one, see a great Wallaby of the future in JOC (James O'Connor), unless he is forced to pack up his bags permanently.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We should not be trying to work out how to solve his problems.He is an adult.
He has parents,a partner and a manager.He has a gut load of cash to spend on professional help if he so desires.
It's more than a little ridiculous to blame his personal poor choices on anyone else.
If he grows up,comes back and pulls his head in terrific.
If he doesn't,I don't give a shit.
I have never been a Wallaby,nor am I likely to be.
But my fucking cash goes to funding the Wallabies,and I have a right to discuss who I think should or shouldn't represent me.
Being a Wallaby is a privilege not a right.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm with ILTW. The bloke's a great player, but there's plenty of other. In the scheme of things he's not good enough to be given special consideration.

He needs to prove himself, not be given a clean slate by everybody, when he obviously hasn't done anything to deserve it.

The fact is for all the chat he made about wanting to prove himself after the Air Asia incident, he went and took the best overseas offer that came through.

Now he's throwing similar comments about wanting to come back and rumours are circulating about him trying to throw together a deal to parachute himself back into Wallabies contention. Everybody gave him the benefit of the doubt when the rumours about first going to Europe came out. Now it's a case of once bitten, twice shy.

If he deserves to be given a break, he'll prove it in his actions over the next 24 months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who signs him though?

Brumbies have already said no to him, he'll cost a fortune and too many backs is one of their problems as is.
Waratahs have no need for a winger, fullback or centre. Money is an issue too.
Reds, Richard Graham, nope.
Rebels, been there, not wanted.
Force, burnt bridges, he'd have to build them.

In that environment, I don't think you can say that he'll cost a fortune.

If he's committed to coming back to Australia because he wants a shot at the RWC, he'll have to take what is offered to him.

If no one really wants him the asking price will drop significantly. Once the price gets low enough, someone will take him. All his issues will be a lot easier to accept if he's only being paid the average Super Rugby salary rather than being the most expensive player in the team or close to.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Although I agree with what you are saying Braveheart, he will need to be willing to take the drop in cash and a lot of rules imposed on him. He obviously wasn't willing to take this year with the Force.

Yep he might change his mind next year but who is saying that any of the teams will have anything other than injury cover available....... Also if this story is true and he will only be looking for a one year deal in Oz guessing that will be another mark in the con column.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Fox sports have reported that his manager has come out and said the story isn't true he is looking for a short term deal for this year with the view to play super rugby in 2015 and that he hasn't signed anything with Toulon so take what you will from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Source on this? Was is on Foxtel, twitter, website? Can't seem to see any reference to it.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Yep, got it. Interesting his manager didn't get on camera to refute it, just issued a statement. Perhaps showing contempt for the rumor?

As the presenter described it the scenario from midi olympique is not totally unplausible; he still could sign a short-term deal, come back for 2015, then head back over for big coin. The whole 'RWC sabbatical' clause it perhaps the bit they didn't want to get out in the public (who would anyway) and thats why his manager is in damage control.

Regardless, the fact a rumor made it out into public can't be doing his chances of gaining an OZ S15 contract any good.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Realistically what club would sign him on more than a year contract anyway?

I was a strong supporter of JOC (James O'Connor) and was a bit jaded when he left but at the moment it seems reading through this thread he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's pretty simple to me: he should work out if he really wants to play for Australia. If he does, he should come home, take his lumps and work hard like every other would-be Wallaby does. I think the example QC (Quade Cooper) set is a pretty good one. He knuckled down and won back the trust of the group.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
At this stage I think it best if he forgets about the next world cup. After 3 or 4 years away he might be ready to commit long term. He doesn't do any clubs (local or foreign) by playing these games with contracts. It shows he has absolutely no loyalty towards long term club goals. Nothing has changed, starting to doubt if it ever will.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
At this stage I think it best if he forgets about the next world cup. After 3 or 4 years away he might be ready to commit long term. He doesn't do any clubs (local or foreign) by playing these games with contracts. It shows he has absolutely no loyalty towards long term club goals. Nothing has changed, starting to doubt if it ever will.

The issue is come the 2019 RWC he'll be 29. If he's not in the team as a 10 or 12 he'll probably be too old to make it as a winger. If he really wants to play he should man up and face the music.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It's pretty simple to me: he should work out if he really wants to play for Australia. If he does, he should come home, take his lumps and work hard like every other would-be Wallaby does. I think the example QC (Quade Cooper) set is a pretty good one. He knuckled down and won back the trust of the group.

I agree - he should work out if he wants to come back to Aus to play and then commit to that course. A one-year contract just to become eligible for the RWC doesn't look like commitment to me, nor does the prospect of only giving one year to a Super team. I really don't think any well managed Super franchise would be party to a one year deal with JOC (James O'Connor) just to see him have an opportunity to be selected for the Wallabies. Doesn't strike me that he is willing to put in for the good of the Super franchise but just selfishly wants his cake and to eat it too. IMO he would need to sign at least a two year (and preferably longer) deal with a Super franchise before anyone would be interested in him again.

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Could be time to give JOC (James O'Connor) a break.
His sins for a young bloke of 23 are more of a kid having a good time at 21 (missing the official launch for the RWC 2011-definitely a no no), having very late night coffees (he may be an insomniac {joke, Joyce}), and spitting the dummy with airline staff for a seating mix-up and coming up against the airport officials no tolerance policy (who amongst us here can throw the first stone on that situation) rather than drunken punch ups (e.g. Beale), drugs, or stealing.
The first two transgressions occurred during team time and may have been as a result of the Deans (mis-)management?
Missing out on the Wallabies and their EOYT to Europe would have cut him to the bone.
As a young player, he has a considerable amount to offer Australian rugby into the future, unless we, the fans, act similiarly to the Kiwi fans in their attitude to Quade Cooper.
We should be trying to work out how to solve his problems, rather than continually haranguing him as in this thread.
He's copped his punishment, so leave off, unless you've worn the gold jersey yourself; but then, in which case you would not be fueling the fire here.
I for one, see a great Wallaby of the future in JOC (James O'Connor), unless he is forced to pack up his bags permanently.

He's not two he can solve his own problems. After all they are his making.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the OZ, well, a mungo journalist at the Oz...........

Apparently JOC (James O'Connor) nearly signed with the Storm for a short contract:

James O'Connor's aborted bid for NRL

MELBOURNE'S search for a five-eighth to complement Cooper Cronk will begin in earnest on Saturday night but it almost ended before it began with the signing of former Wallabies star James O'Connor.

The Australian can reveal the Storm opened talks with O'Connor late last year when coach Craig Bellamy met the rugby union star and his manager in Brisbane.

Melbourne had become aware of O'Connor's interest in playing in the NRL through a third party, and that interest was confirmed when Bellamy spoke to the former Wallaby in Brisbane.

O'Connor had signed to play in the northern hemisphere with London Irish and was looking for a short-term stint in the NRL later this year before returning to Super Rugby in 2015.

Bellamy walked away from his meeting with O'Connor impressed and, although the Storm was wary of his recent history, the club was confident Australian rugby's enfant terrible would thrive in its renowned culture.

It is understood the Storm believed O'Connor would give the club another option at five-eighth while also providing cover for Billy Slater at fullback during the State of Origin series.

However, talks stalled over the following month and by the end of November the club had become frustrated by the apparent indifference of O'Connor and his manager.

Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi was reluctant to discuss yesterday the Storm's talks with O'Connor, although he confirmed a meeting had taken place and the club explored the prospects of recruiting the ex-Wallaby.

"Craig met James O'Connor and his manager in October," Ponissi said. "Craig was impressed with what James had to say. We looked at the option of signing him but decided not to pursue it any further.

"There has been no contact with James O'Connor since late November."

News of O'Connor's dalliance with the Storm will only fuel speculation he could play in the NRL at some point in his career.

To be fair, the whole article seems to be a bit of a beat up...........

And the low standards of reporting in Newscorp has trickled down to its sports section..........

Status
Not open for further replies.