• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Unfortunately I don't see goulburn as a real option, they just don't have the player numbers to participate in the John I Dent. The only real option I could see would be a club out of Wagga, whether that is a stand alone club like Waratahs or Ag or they form a new club and draw players from all the clubs in Wagga. I can see how there might be some resistance to that from current clubs there but if it is done right it could be a way of keeping good players in Wagga and providing a pathway to NRC and super rugby for their best players. There at so many players in Wagga and southern inland that this would be a realistic option in my opinion!

Yea I thought the Southern Inland may be an option - having played against the Southern Inland side there a def a number of players that would not look out of sorts in the John I dent comp - I think travel would be the key factor though.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Yeah cant see them forking out for a club which theyd have to compete with.
Yeah tracelling to wagga once or twice a year will impact clubs. Some might not be able to afford it.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
There is no perfect solution to this, but we need to start a conversation about it, a six team Comp will not be a great thing! Maybe something like a southern inland rep team for 1st grade and colts, goulburn play 2nd and 3rd grade because they dominate their comp too much! Just an idea, the more the better!

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
One thing to be careful of is focussing too much negative attention on easts, and not recognising the multitude of other issues threatening the viability of the competition. As it stands I think a lot of clubs are struggling to consistently fill fouth grade, along with colts in a couple of instances. Easts are a basket case but the whole comp needs to be looked at.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Could you have Goulburn propping up Easts? With the local Canberra players filling the Easts 1sts and 3rds, then Goulburn playing under the Easts "banner" in the 2nds and maybe 4ths? This would give each team the ability to train independently, and Easts could have some of their home games (maybe against Tuggeranong hehe) up in Goulburn.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Could you have Goulburn propping up Easts? With the local Canberra players filling the Easts 1sts and 3rds, then Goulburn playing under the Easts "banner" in the 2nds and maybe 4ths? This would give each team the ability to train independently, and Easts could have some of their home games (maybe against Tuggeranong hehe) up in Goulburn.

I believe that was looked at at the end of last year and knocked on the head by both teams... things may change though.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I think Griffins makes a good point. Yes Easts are a basket case but there are wider issues with the JID. Does anyone see Uni pressing for a flag anytime soon? Uni appear to be a great club with a fantastic culture and never seem to struggle for numbers but will they ever have the resources to attract and keep the quality of players needed to compete with Tuggies or QBN? I hope Uni can become a competitive force but I can't see how and I don't think that is healthy for the comp. It's not particularly entertaining to start every season knowing that Tuggies and QBN will be top, Easts and Uni will be bottom so essentially the season is all about 3 teams battling it out to see who fills the remaining two finals places.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I think Griffins makes a good point. Yes Easts are a basket case but there are wider issues with the JID. Does anyone see Uni pressing for a flag anytime soon? Uni appear to be a great club with a fantastic culture and never seem to struggle for numbers but will they ever have the resources to attract and keep the quality of players needed to compete with Tuggies or QBN? I hope Uni can become a competitive force but I can't see how and I don't think that is healthy for the comp. It's not particularly entertaining to start every season knowing that Tuggies and QBN will be top, Easts and Uni will be bottom so essentially the season is all about 3 teams battling it out to see who fills the remaining two finals places.
I certainly agree that the comp is facing some issues, player numbers are quite poor for us at the moment with it a struggle to get enough to fill all grades each week. It makes me proud to see that people consider us a dominant force like tuggeranong, we have only made one first grade final in the last 4 years, although we have been blessed with great depth over the past decade so we have been strong through the grades but that goes in cycles, we haven't got the money of tuggeranong so being able to compete with them regularly is a challenge that I think we just so happen to be up to this year, but we did only win one grade 2 weeks ago against them. I would say we would have one of the smallest operating budgets in the competition so it isn't something that other clubs can't do with the right people involved!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm going to post this one up in a couple of threads, as I think it will be a great annual event - Shute finishes earlier now to fit in the NRC;

There maybe allot of players still wanting to run around.Or it maybe an end of season tour / - not a bad place for a tour.
  • Interested clubs?
  • The NRC clubs may field a team (Fringe players)?
  • There maybe NSW subbies rep side or 2?
manlysevens@manlyrugby.com.au

7s.jpg

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I reckon Uni are prob the most improved club over the last couple of years - they have good numbers as you mentioned, they have a great colts side and the 1st grade side seem to be building nicely - currently sitting in 5th spot but I reckon we could see them at finals time.

As Grant mentioned alot of clubs are simply struggling for numbers - I think that is a reflection though of how aussie rugby is struggling - guys are more attracted to league, afl or sit the season out and play cricket etc...

Will be interested to see the scores today!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Scores from the weekend -

Uni 20 V Qbn 22

Royals 15 V Vikings 31

Easts 7 V Wests 72

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can the regular contributors perhaps give a brief report on the colts games also,with a focus on players with some 1st grade potential. This is particularly relevant when previous thread have been discussing depth or lack of...nice to see some positives.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Fast Frankie is back! He is likely to be the most exciting winger since the redmen ran jet shoes Eddie on the wing. He was one quick gnome!! Any predictions for this week? I'll predict Easts will lose, Tuggies will win and there might be a semi interesting game somewhere in between. Call me Nostradamus but I make those predictions without even seeing the draw. I probably seem negative about it all but I'm frustrated that I if I want to watch good competitive club rugby tomorrow I'm better served trying to find the Shute shield on telly than going along to a JID match!

Status
Not open for further replies.