• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This is good for Canberra Rugby...5 years in a row would of been boring! Was funny to see all the Qbn supporters joining the Royals tunnel. Royals were superb yesterday and beat a side that would beat some professional teams. Any news on who will be coaching Vikings next year?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Mate I think you are being a bit heartless towards the Vikings

... but they still would have taken the time to learn the names of all the new guys Tuggies bought in this year. There were still 7 players from Tuggies run on 2014 GF side playing and two years together builds strong bonds.

I'll never have heart for the vermin.

And while you mention the squads, this sums up the difference in the 2 clubs:

"Player$ they bought in, 2 years together builds strong bonds"

There are lads in that Royals side who played in the early 2000s!!

Wendell

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll never have heart for the vermin.

And while you mention the squads, this sums up the difference in the 2 clubs:

"Player$ they bought in, 2 years together builds strong bonds"

There are lads in that Royals side who played in the early 2000s!!

Let's go thru the Vikings team;
1 Liam McGrath (Local player)
2 Michael Henry (Local player)
3 Phil Kite (Import)
4 Michael Oakman Hunt (Local player)
5 Gareth Clouston (4 seasons at Vikings)
6 Dean Oakman Hunt (Local player)
7 Rowan Perry (joined Vikings from school and played 2 years of colts)
8 Jarrad Butler (brumby)
9 Joe Powell (local player)
10 Rod Iona (also joined from school & is now a Brumby)
11 Jake Knight (Local player)
12 Frankie Fainifo (joined from school and became a pro. Returned this year)
13 Nigel Ahwong (brumby)
14 Jerome Niumata (5 seasons at Vikings)
15 Christian Lealiifano (joined from school and is now a Wallaby)

So 10 players who are local or have come thru their colts program. 2 Brumbies, 2 players that have been there for 4 or more seasons and 1 new import. Royals would be no different with their Brumby players and imports like Sione and Hamlin.

From a non Vikings supporter I think the argument that Vikings just buy teams is a myth. The rugby program that is now offered is what I am told attracts players.

I watched the stream yesterday in Sydney and it was a great game of club rugby. Royals winning will certainly increase interest in club rugby in 2016!

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Royals have never ever used money as an incentive. Every player to don the blue and the white has been developed from the Weston Creek area. We are the destination club for rugby players in the region. The entire 23 from yesterday's game all went to school at Rivett Primary and then Canberra College.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Let's go thru the Vikings team;
1 Liam McGrath (Local player)
2 Michael Henry (Local player)
3 Phil Kite (Import)
4 Michael Oakman Hunt (Local player)
5 Gareth Clouston (4 seasons at Vikings)
6 Dean Oakman Hunt (Local player)
7 Rowan Perry (joined Vikings from school and played 2 years of colts)
8 Jarrad Butler (brumby)
9 Joe Powell (local player)
10 Rod Iona (also joined from school & is now a Brumby)
11 Jake Knight (Local player)
12 Frankie Fainifo (joined from school and became a pro. Returned this year)
13 Nigel Ahwong (brumby)
14 Jerome Niumata (5 seasons at Vikings)
15 Christian Lealiifano (joined from school and is now a Wallaby)

The question is how many of those so called local players, played juniors for Vikings.

And as for coming through their colts team I am assuming you are referring to their recruitment strategies.

I think all over clubs feel far more like a family, Vikings just chase 1st Grade grand finals at all cost. Lealiifano Playing was atypical of their mentality, feel sorry for the players who get shafted.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe a little over the top, but there is an intense rivalry there. It was evident by the Queanbeyan 2nd grade team tunnelling on Royals 1sts. Everyone wants a level playing field and on Saturday the underdogs in all grades (with maybe exception of the women) proved clubs with fractions of the Vikings budget can achieve success through hard work and passion.

The Vikings 1st grade side would give most if not all the Sydney clubs a touch up.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
The question is how many of those so called local players, played juniors for Vikings.

And as for coming through their colts team I am assuming you are referring to their recruitment strategies.

I think all over clubs feel far more like a family, Vikings just chase 1st Grade grand finals at all cost. Lealiifano Playing was atypical of their mentality, feel sorry for the players who get shafted.

Two Vikings players had played juniors for Vikings, being the Oakman-Hunt twins. Only one player had played juniors for Royals with that being Jay Cash.

Royals colts also have a strong recruitment strategy, which contributed to their premiership (which is fine).

What personal involvement have you had with Vikings? I'm going to assume none, so why are you commenting on their culture? If Matt To'omua made himself available for Royals for the GF you would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Anyway well done to Royals it was fantastic that they won it, it was well deserved on the day. It's a shame though lots of effort has been placed on slagging Vikings instead of focusing and celebrating Royals.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Two Vikings players had played juniors for Vikings, being the Oakman-Hunt twins. Only one player had played juniors for Royals with that being Jay Cash.

Royals colts also have a strong recruitment strategy, which contributed to their premiership (which is fine).

What personal involvement have you had with Vikings? I'm going to assume none, so why are you commenting on their culture? If Matt To'omua made himself available for Royals for the GF you would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Anyway well done to Royals it was fantastic that they won it, it was well deserved on the day. It's a shame though lots of effort has been placed on slagging Vikings instead of focusing and celebrating Royals.

Funnily enough the LH for Royals Colts (and started 1st Grade for Royals this year) is a former Vikings Junior and the Vikings' Colts Hooker (current Australia U20 2/16) is a former Royals Junior

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thought it was good to see the obvious respect between the two sets of players after the game on sat, despite whatever sabre-rattling goes on in this forum. Certainly didn't see any of the Royals players bragging or inflaming the Vikings guys, theyd probably be embarrassed to read some of the rubbish here.

Status
Not open for further replies.