• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The rule should be that it doesn't matter who the player is coming back to play grade. It should be whoever it is plays for the weakest team and so on. I think that would work best.

So a player could be playing for Whites this week, then next Easts, then the week after play for Wests?

I have to 100% disagree with this - alot of the time the Brumbies players are aligned with Clubs so they become a part of the club, build the culture etc - i.e Speight at the Eagles - always down there running the water for the boys, offering advise etc - has been fantastic for the Eagles just to have him there. . .

That is only one reason it would be totally wrong for your suggested set up. . . add about another 20 to that haha.

Sorry mate.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm sure I saw Enever turn out for the Brumbies on Friday night. Did he back up again on Saturday?

And I'm sure Poey wouldn't turn out for Uni-Norths after the Brumbies and he decided not to use the Brumbies' bye week to get around one of the games he had to miss through suspension.

Yea mate - I was sure Les Makin was named in the 23 aswell for the Friday night game - Enever only played a half but fairly sure Les played the full 80 - so maybe didn't get on, on Friday night?

Larkham was at the game - so possibly wanted to give the boys an extra run for fitness etc - unsure.

Yea my Pocock example was just an example haha. . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah gotta say I'm with Slim on this one the current system works well. Who have the eagles got in their allocation in addition to Speight?

Brumbies JID allocations:

VIKINGS:
Nigel Ah Wong
Jarrad Butler
Christian Lealiifano
Scott Sio
Joe Powell

UNI-NORTHS:
Allan Ala'alatoa
Ben Alexander
Michael Dowsett
David Pocock
Joe Tomane

ROYALS:
Albert Anae
Sam Carter
Tom Staniforth
Lausii Taliauli
Matt To'omua

GUNGAHLIN:
Rory Arnold
James Dargaville
Josh Mann-Rea
Henry Speight
Ita Vaea (Retired)

WESTS:
Tomas Cubelli
Scott Fardy
Aidan Toua
Nic Jooste

QUEANBEYAN:
Robbie Coleman
Tevita Kuridrani
Leslie Leulua'iali'i-Makin
Andrew Smith
Michael Wells

EASTS:
Blake Enever
Stephen Moore
Jordan Smiler
Ruan Smith
Robbie Abel

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Current Ladder -

Vikings - 26

Whites - 24

Royals - 22

Eagles - 18

Uni Norths - 14

Easts - 12

Wests - 10

Full Ladder -
http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Can't really see the ladder changing to much in regards to positions after this weekend's games - besides Vikings extending their current lead - and depending on what happens in the Whites V's Royals game them possibly switching positions.

With 11 Rounds to go before finals - to be honest I can't see the top 4 really changing - can Uni, Easts, Wests form any sort of fight back?

I see the ladder finishing something like so -

Vikings
Queanbeyan
Royals
Eagles
Wests
Uni
Easts

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yea mate - I was sure Les Makin was named in the 23 aswell for the Friday night game - Enever only played a half but fairly sure Les played the full 80 - so maybe didn't get on, on Friday night?

Larkham was at the game - so possibly wanted to give the boys an extra run for fitness etc - unsure.

Yea my Pocock example was just an example haha.

That's a bit surprising about Enever, but Makin wasn't in the 23 for the Brumbies on Friday. Alexander started and Smith came off the bench iirc.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Looking at the Brumby allocations and speculating who might be called up for wallaby duties, I'd say that royals and queanbeyan will most likely get the best end of season boost from returning players. Eagles have lucked out a bit with Vaea's retirement and Speight likely to be on higher duties. Tuggies get a couple back but possibly not the benefit QBN and Royals might get.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Easts should get all of those players back except for Moore.........

Brumbies JID allocations:

VIKINGS:
Nigel Ah Wong
Jarrad Butler
Christian Lealiifano (Wallabies)
Scott Sio (Wallabies)
Joe Powell

UNI-NORTHS:
Allan Ala'alatoa
Ben Alexander
Michael Dowsett
David Pocock (Wallabies)
Joe Tomane (Wallabies)

ROYALS:
Albert Anae
Sam Carter (Wallabies)
Tom Staniforth
Lausii Taliauli
Matt To'omua (Wallabies)

GUNGAHLIN:
Rory Arnold (Wallabies)
James Dargaville
Josh Mann-Rea
Henry Speight (Wallabies / Sevens)
Ita Vaea (Retired)

WESTS:
Tomas Cubelli (Argentina)
Scott Fardy (Wallabies)
Aidan Toua
Nic Jooste

QUEANBEYAN:
Robbie Coleman
Tevita Kuridrani (Wallabies)
Leslie Leulua'iali'i-Makin
Andrew Smith
Michael Wells

EASTS:
Blake Enever
Stephen Moore (Wallabies)
Jordan Smiler
Ruan Smith
Robbie Abel

Injuries could see Butler or Ala'alatoa receive a squad call up, but rather unlikely.........

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah but unless any of the Easts allocation is up for running the gift at halftime they won't be helping out come finals time.

By your wallabies selection QBN are the big winners. If you believe the Canberra Times today, Butler is a wallabies chance and that would be a big loss for Tuggies even if he might have struggled to displace the Oakman-Hunt super stars!

Is Sam Carter a sure thing for the wallabies? He'd look good in blue packing beside Staniforth!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Carter has had at most four good games this year, but more fairly two, and I wouldn't be giving him more caps ahead of guys like Coleman, Neville, and Timani. So looking good in the Royals camp!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Carter has had at most four good games this year, but more fairly two, and I wouldn't be giving him more caps ahead of guys like Coleman, Neville, and Timani. So looking good in the Royals camp!
Yeah - To'omua has been average at best as well and given he is injury ridden and headed o/s next year it would probably be for the best if he just slotted into the royals backline rather than pulled on the gold jumper!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Nah, he looked good in the first four rounds........... and history would indicate that Cheika will likely pick him in the squad.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's a bit surprising about Enever, but Makin wasn't in the 23 for the Brumbies on Friday. Alexander started and Smith came off the bench iirc.

Yea I was surprised to see Enever and Les playing - I was under the impression both had played/in the 23 on the Friday night (Was wrong about Les) - for Enever - unsure of his game time - but maybe Larkham just felt he needed about more time on field possibly. . . .

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yea I was surprised to see Enever and Les playing - I was under the impression both had played/in the 23 on the Friday night (Was wrong about Les) - for Enever - unsure of his game time - but maybe Larkham just felt he needed about more time on field possibly. .

Enever played 14 minutes for the Brumbies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
An extract from the Vikings webpage re last weeks game v Wests.

Premier First Grade

By Keiran Deck​

The Vikings held on for a 41-27 win over Wests despite a spirited Wests comeback.
Wests arrived at Viking Park without a win to their name and their round three loss to Tuggeranong fresh in their minds.
Vikings also had a point to prove after going down to Queanbeyan in a nail biter at home last week. Club stalwart Michael ‘Chic’ Henry scored a double, including a try late in the game that appeared to break Wests’ grasp on the game.
Wests had the first points in the opening minutes off the back of a Vikings penalty.
The men in red took the lead from Wests minutes later when Henry crossed to the right of the posts off the back of a rolling maul.
Andrew Robinson converted the try and the Vikings led 7-3.
The lead would change for a second time before the 10-minute mark as Wests sent the ball wide, Max Pizzamiglio finding a hole in the Vikings’ backline defence.
Seb Larroway hooked his conversion attempt but Wests had shown themselves to be equally as dangerous in the opposition 22.
The lead changed hands again without another tackle being made. Jake “The Snake” Knight reinforced his nickname in the 10th minute, bumping off one tackle and sliding past two others to cross under the posts.
At 14-8 the crowd were expecting a high-scoring affair. The running rugby continued right through the first half.
The Vikings have made a habit of running the near length of the field to score in recent weeks. Knight made a break on his defensive 22-metre line, linking with Robinson on half way who beat two defenders to score. The Vikings sprinting to a 19-8 lead. Uncharacteristically, it would be their only long range try for the match.
The game hadn’t reached the quarter-time mark and four tries had been scored. The fifth try of the match came after a frustrating period of play. Both sides gave away back to back penalties and there were three dropped balls. Wests broke the stalemate using quick hands, ending with winger Jone Pio crashing over the chalk.
Wests have had two byes in the first six rounds and their winless record fails to reflect their ability to challenge the best teams. At 19-13, Vikings would have to work to remain on top of the table.
Vikings winger Knight was forced from the field around the 30-minute mark, replaced by veteran Frankie Fainifo.
Fainifo himself went down during a scrappy passage of play at the end of which Ernest Suavai finished another five pointer for the hosts in the left corner.
It would be the final points of the half and the Vikings led 24-13.
The second half started much slower with five minutes of tough football and efficient breakdown defence. Wests again failed to defend their line from the red zone as Isaac Thompson passed to Fainifo flying up the inside who crashed over the line.
The score 31-13 Tuggeranong had a strong lead and Wests were forced to take some risks to get into the game.
Under pressure Wests made several mistakes from set-pieces, giving the Vikings a number of opportunities in attacking territory. The frustration boiled and a yellow card was awarded against the visitors while the Vikings were five metres from the line.
Henry bagged a double from the ensuing lineout but Robinson’s conversion attempt was wide, leaving the score at 36-13. The try appeared to be the one that broke Wests’ back.
Josh Hitchens made up for his disappointing ball handling against the Whites with a clinical display against Wests. The flanker scored the final try of the day for the hosts in the 60th minute, splintering off the back of another lineout maul.
At 41-13 Wests wouldn’t lie down. They found a way to the line twice more but the comeback was left too late.
Vikings head to Griffith Oval to take on Easts for the first time this season on Saturday. The game will be live streamed as the Club Lime Match of the Round. You can find the link to the stream on the Brumbies website.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone want to put abit of insight into 2nd/3rd/4th grade - who they they think might be in for a shot this year?

I think in 2nd Grade at the moment there are really 2 sides playing for the GF win and that is Vikings on 27 Points and Whites on 23 then the next after that is Eagles 18, Royals 17.

Full Ladder -
http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

In 3rd grade its a little wide open due to the nature of the comp - but as it stands at the moment the top 4 are -

Hall - 30
Goulburn - 21
Uni Norths - 18
Whites - 18

Then you have the Vikings in 5th place on 17

Full Ladder - http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

4th Grade is a little more stable I guess from a history point of view - as it stands -

Vikings - 28
Wests - 27
Whites - 23
RMC - 20

Full ladder -

It will be interesting to see how the 3rd and 4th grade comps end up - with your standard sides maybe not even reaching the semis.

Anyone think the new comp set-up in 3rd/4th grade has been a good thing for the comp, bad thing, much of a muchness?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Tuggies would have to be a chance in some of the lower grades - the fact that they lost every GF they competed in last year doesn't matter. They are still good. There is no shame in second.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Tuggies would have to be a chance in some of the lower grades - the fact that they lost every GF they competed in last year doesn't matter. They are still good. There is no shame in second.

Very true - well in the lower grades the Vikings have not won much for afew years now - so they will have the drive to try and change that - but Wests and Queanbeyan always seem to build towards the end of the season - maybe Vikings peak a little too early haha.

Vikings 3rd grade side is generally one of their stronger sides - so to see them sitting in 5th is somewhat surprising.

I still believe now due to the nature of the comp/number of teams in the 3rd/4th grade comp - it will still take afew more rounds yet to get a clear/good idea of the top 4 sides.

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this week.

Easts v Vikings

Tuggeranong to absolutely clean up Easts on their ladies day. Easts will scrap and keep it close til halftime but Tuggeranong will run away with it in the 2nd half. Vikings by 50

Queanbeyan v Royals

The match of the round, I would expect a very tight one. Royals have shown in the last two weeks what a great defensive side they are, their set piece should be able to hold their against the competitions strongest pack in Queanbeyan. I think the Blue baggers defence will get them over the line in a close one. Royals by 3

Wests v Uni

Should be a cracking game, both sides desperate for a victory. With a bye week under their belts and few injuries hopefully healed Uni should be a much stronger side then in previous weeks. Wests seem to also be a much improved side from the trials and Round One, their pack hitting their straps and the back gelling well. I predict the Owls to get up here but only by a try. Owls by 5

The Blindsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
A few whispers out of the easts camp, apparently head coach John Ross has been working on club great Jack Vander Glass in the off season about possibly having one last crack. Apparently Jack has started to open up to the idea, might see him in the coming weeks perhaps?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A few whispers out of the easts camp, apparently head coach John Ross has been working on club great Jack Vander Glass in the off season about possibly having one last crack. Apparently Jack has started to open up to the idea, might see him in the coming weeks perhaps?

He better open upto the idea quick because its nearly half way through the season lol.

Would be cool to see Jack Vanderglas playing for Easts - but unfortunately not sure if its really going to help them.

Easts have done a heap over the last 12 months i.e fielding a colts side, getting consistent lower grade sides (re: numbers), linking with RMC, building a better 1st grade side - I just hope they can keep building from this last 12 months - and I really do hope they get a win this year - its not good for the comp if they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.