• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Honestly not much to report from 1st Grade - Vikings simply outplayed the Whites. The Whites looked a little nervous and did not execute their decision making well at times.

In different parts of the game the Whites were all over the Vikings but just don't draw many points from these chances.

Did not have the spark as the last times the two sides played at Queanbeyan but as mentioned Vikings simply outplayed the Whites/better decision making.

Watched part of the 2nd's - Vikings really took it to the Whites and again the Whites looked a little nervous - but they are such a solid side - will be hard to beat in acouple of weeks - I would expect them to be playing the Vikings again. . .

Have the whites sorted out their goal kicking woes or did cost them?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Too good to not share;

View attachment 8239

Good/interesting read. . . . will be interesting to see what Easts side make the field next year. At the end of the day the sign of a successful club is one that can win games - so next year of course they need to work on the internal runnings of the club but externally they need to be showing they can win games and not be at the bottom of the ladder again.

They have gone acouple steps forward with the internal stuff they are doing but have also gone acouple steps back technically having a worse season on the field than last year.

If I was them I would be networking like crazy with St Edmunds and Grammar at the moment - and I know this is abit out of the box but if they can't recruit from the other ACT Union clubs start looking at - Monaro Comp, Southern Inland Comp and the league comp/s.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have the whites sorted out their goal kicking woes or did cost them?

To be honest the goal kicking yesterday was pretty solid, the kicker (Spears) was the "normal" kicker from the last few weeks (who at one point must of kicked about 5 from 20) - Did not impact the game.

I still believe Danny Matthews who plays 2nd's/Some 1sts earlier in the year - needs to come in the game at some point - his decision making, and kicking abilities are awesome - huge reason why the 2nd grade side is so successful.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Honestly not much to report from 1st Grade - Vikings simply outplayed the Whites. The Whites looked a little nervous and did not execute their decision making well at times.

In different parts of the game the Whites were all over the Vikings but just don't draw many points from these chances.

Did not have the spark as the last times the two sides played at Queanbeyan but as mentioned Vikings simply outplayed the Whites/better decision making.

Watched part of the 2nd's - Vikings really took it to the Whites and again the Whites looked a little nervous - but they are such a solid side - will be hard to beat in acouple of weeks - I would expect them to be playing the Vikings again. . .

Agree No8..Thought however that the Whites were on top for the 1st 20 but Vikings absorbed the pressure and their defence was superb. Their decision to take the 3 points early on was a little perplexing considering how little ball they had had and with Noa just being binned. Felt like they were either too stuffed from defending or lacked confidence...very un-tuggers like. Whites then did really well to defend with only 14. After that however, like you say, it was pretty much Vikings game despite the tit for tat scoring.

2s...hmmm...obviously the Vikings hadnt been reading our informed and tactically astute posts. We suggested that the whites pack would be too strong and Vikings would have to play to their strength, their backs. Needless to say, they didn't and attempted to chug it up against a superior foe. Backs like Giltrap made good ground when they got the ball just didn't get it enough.

Royals were simply way too good in the colts as the scoreline suggested

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree No8..Thought however that the Whites were on top for the 1st 20 but Vikings absorbed the pressure and their defence was superb. Their decision to take the 3 points early on was a little perplexing considering how little ball they had had and with Noa just being binned. Felt like they were either too stuffed from defending or lacked confidence.very un-tuggers like. Whites then did really well to defend with only 14. After that however, like you say, it was pretty much Vikings game despite the tit for tat scoring.

2s.hmmm.obviously the Vikings hadnt been reading our informed and tactically astute posts. We suggested that the whites pack would be too strong and Vikings would have to play to their strength, their backs. Needless to say, they didn't and attempted to chug it up against a superior foe. Backs like Giltrap made good ground when they got the ball just didn't get it enough.

Royals were simply way too good in the colts as the scoreline suggested

Yep totally agree. . . .

Just a side note the more I watch Giltrap the more I am impressed - this guy will have to be picked up by the Brumbies/or a Super Rugby Club within the next 12-24 months - he just makes breaking the line the easiest thing in the world - very impressed with this young guy.

I would be more worried having him at the back in 1st's than having Earnest there to be honest.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Good/interesting read. . will be interesting to see what Easts side make the field next year. At the end of the day the sign of a successful club is one that can win games - so next year of course they need to work on the internal runnings of the club but externally they need to be showing they can win games and not be at the bottom of the ladder again.

They have gone acouple steps forward with the internal stuff they are doing but have also gone acouple steps back technically having a worse season on the field than last year.

If I was them I would be networking like crazy with St Edmunds and Grammar at the moment - and I know this is abit out of the box but if they can't recruit from the other ACT Union clubs start looking at - Monaro Comp, Southern Inland Comp and the league comp/s.

How about even further afield? I know vikings will get blokes from interstate just basically at the suggestion of ex players who live in those parts. I understand that Tuggers success is a big drawcard but the chance to play premier rugby , and lets face it, a good chance to play 1st grade, would be a nice carrot for young players with some ability especially country kids who don't want to live in a big city.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yep totally agree. .

Just a side note the more I watch Giltrap the more I am impressed - this guy will have to be picked up by the Brumbies/or a Super Rugby Club within the next 12-24 months - he just makes breaking the line the easiest thing in the world - very impressed with this young guy.

I would be more worried having him at the back in 1st's than having Earnest there to be honest.

My sentiments also No 8...it seems strange that we would be talking up a bloke who is playing 2nd grade, but he's definitely not a second grader and just unfortunate to be at a club spoilt for riches. Besides you've only got to read about a bloke called Phil Kearns...

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watch 2nd half of colts 2nds and 1sts yesterday.

Tuggies colts just looked completely overmatched. That royals side will be really tough to beat for whoever ends up playing them in 2 weeks.

2nd grade was a really good game of footy. Tuggies scrum was under pressure early. when a new prop came on and Mcgrath switched to loose head it seemed to fix things. A couple of interesting referee decisions in the game however still a really good game to watch. Tonga and whoever their no 8 was were fantastic. Queanbeyans back row proved too good over the ball coming up with turnover after to turnover which seemed to be the difference.

Agree with no8 in first grade Vikings just outplayed QBN. Usually suspects all had great games. I reckon we'll probably see a tuggies qbn final.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Eagles 24 - Royals 3

Big win from the Eagles - finally got to watch the 2nd half through the Livestream.

Will be a tough side to beat next week.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Interesting game today. Staniforth started for Royals, Mann-Rae was on the bench for Darra and Jamie Kotz was a late withdrawal for the Eagles. Darra prop Dobson was off with a serious looking calf injury in the first exchanges. The first half was a real tussle. The Darra 6 put down a few balls and Royals pushed a lot of passes. Rocky had a couple of strong runs and Steve Sione was equally as strong. McGee was good around the ruck and strong in the line out. Pedro missed a couple of penalty shots before slotting one in a half that Royals seemed to get the the better of. With minutes left on the clock Darra attacked down the right and chipped into the corner - Taliauli cleaned up beat one and threw a loose pass to Johnston the dribbled into touch giving Darra a line out 5 meters out. The ball went to 4 and Royals took it straight down. Darra took touch again and on the second attempt rolled it over for a good try to Small I believe. 7 -3 at half time to Darra but to me Royals seemed in control of the match.

Second half Darra kicked a penalty and then scored off an interception against the run of play to skip out to 17 - 3 but still I felt Royals looked strong. Then the big change in the game occurred- with Royals on the attack the Darra centre gave away a professional foul and was shown yellow. Shortly after McInerney and McGee came together and McGee started throwing them wildly like it was 1988. A pretty good dust up followed and the end result was McGee shown red and Darra down to 13 with 30 mins to go and Royals with a penalty 5 metres out. Call off the fight the game should have been done and dusted then and there. Darra lifted to another level - Rocky started cutting sick in defence and Darra stuck strong with Royals on attack within the 25 for the next 20 mins or so. By the time Darra took Mann-Rea off the bench Royals were broken and Darra ran in a late try for good measure.

What to make of it all I'm not sure. Gutsy tough win that showed immense character but not sure if that was Darra's grand final or the sort of win that bonds a team and builds momentum. On the plus side Darra won with 14 men without Jamie Kotz and Pato Noreago. On the down side McGee's season is likely gone, Dobson looked finished and Rocky looked sore and had a lot of ice on his leg when he came off with 20 to go. Taufui was great backing up from seconds to cover the loss of Dobson and I don't see a huge loss there especially if Pato returns (how many games did he get?). McGee is likely to be a bigger loss - what are Darra's reserve rowers like?

I suspect QBN will be warm favourites going into next week but I do think it will be interesting! That is a good Darra team and I think it will only be injuries and suspensions that stop them giving it a real shake!

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Darra beat QBN 27 - 28 in colts and Uni beat Darra 39 - 14 in seconds. Uni scrum very dominant!

Interesting scoreline in 2s . Rugbynet states that the previous encounters were only 2-3 points difference. Worryingly for Uni, it says Vikings won both their encounters by 50 and that was without those 1st graders who have since gone down.
Anyone know if Uni gain any of their own top graders for next week?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting game today. Staniforth started for Royals, Mann-Rae was on the bench for Darra and Jamie Kotz was a late withdrawal for the Eagles. Darra prop Dobson was off with a serious looking calf injury in the first exchanges. The first half was a real tussle. The Darra 6 put down a few balls and Royals pushed a lot of passes. Rocky had a couple of strong runs and Steve Sione was equally as strong. McGee was good around the ruck and strong in the line out. Pedro missed a couple of penalty shots before slotting one in a half that Royals seemed to get the the better of. With minutes left on the clock Darra attacked down the right and chipped into the corner - Taliauli cleaned up beat one and threw a loose pass to Johnston the dribbled into touch giving Darra a line out 5 meters out. The ball went to 4 and Royals took it straight down. Darra took touch again and on the second attempt rolled it over for a good try to Small I believe. 7 -3 at half time to Darra but to me Royals seemed in control of the match.

Second half Darra kicked a penalty and then scored off an interception against the run of play to skip out to 17 - 3 but still I felt Royals looked strong. Then the big change in the game occurred- with Royals on the attack the Darra centre gave away a professional foul and was shown yellow. Shortly after McInerney and McGee came together and McGee started throwing them wildly like it was 1988. A pretty good dust up followed and the end result was McGee shown red and Darra down to 13 with 30 mins to go and Royals with a penalty 5 metres out. Call off the fight the game should have been done and dusted then and there. Darra lifted to another level - Rocky started cutting sick in defence and Darra stuck strong with Royals on attack within the 25 for the next 20 mins or so. By the time Darra took Mann-Rea off the bench Royals were broken and Darra ran in a late try for good measure.

What to make of it all I'm not sure. Gutsy tough win that showed immense character but not sure if that was Darra's grand final or the sort of win that bonds a team and builds momentum. On the plus side Darra won with 14 men without Jamie Kotz and Pato Noreago. On the down side McGee's season is likely gone, Dobson looked finished and Rocky looked sore and had a lot of ice on his leg when he came off with 20 to go. Taufui was great backing up from seconds to cover the loss of Dobson and I don't see a huge loss there especially if Pato returns (how many games did he get?). McGee is likely to be a bigger loss - what are Darra's reserve rowers like?

I suspect QBN will be warm favourites going into next week but I do think it will be interesting! That is a good Darra team and I think it will only be injuries and suspensions that stop them giving it a real shake!

Geez Istanbul were you taking notes...great report

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yep totally agree. .

After a quick search I found this....nice vid.

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)

Did you watch Earnest yesterday? Watching the live stream I thought Earnest sure did his earnest to earn my applauds, serving as an earnest reminder that Earnest is a pretty dangerous player.

Status
Not open for further replies.