• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies-Logo1.jpg
John I Dent Cup.jpg

First played for in 1938, the John I Dent Cup was won by the Royal Military College, 27-6 over Norths, and it has been contested every year since except between 1942 and 1944 during World War II.

The Cup was a gift from John I. Dent, a wealthy Cootamundra grazier, who owned shops in Civic, Kingston
and Manuka. Dent was a personal friend of W. G. Woodger, the then President of the ACTRU, and he retired to live in Canberra and took up a grazing lease in the area that is now Weston.

Perhaps it was significant that Dent moved to Weston, the site of the Royals club. Royals have appeared in 29 of the 52 grand finals, winning 16 and losing 13.

Clubs that have long since disappeared from the ACTRU competition, RAAF, Navy, Forestry School and
Ainslie have all lined up in ACTRU grand finals but perhaps the one oddity that stands out in the winners' list is
the 1950 victory by Royal Military College No 2 over Royal Military College No 1, 17-15.

RMC dominated possession of the Cup in the early years, taking it back to Duntroon on 14 occasions between
1938 and 1962.

Source: Canberra Times 17 September 1993, Sports Supplement Page 1

Season 2015 has been done and dusted.

Time to start the wang for 2016.

Who is changing clubs? Any movements in the Coaching Ranks?

What impact are the 2015 Colts Graduating Cohort going to have in 2016?

Which 2015 Schoolboys will bypass Colts and be parachuted directly into Premier Rugby?

Ex-Reds Player and Brisbane Easts Coach Tim Sampson , the new coaching Director at Tuggies

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Coaching for 2015
Easts- John Ross
Royals- Wayne Southwell
Gungahlin- Daniel Atkins
Tuggeranong- Tim Sampson
Queanbeyan- Adam Fahey
Uni Norths- Daniel Hooper
Wests- Craig Robberds

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Andrew Robinson, senio (can't spell his last name) and Liam McGrath are all playing for the Sydney Stars. Any word on if they're returning to Tuggeranong for next year?

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Those blokes will lob back into Tuggies next season won't they?
Good to see a few JID players in the NRC non contracted squad who are touring NZ in a few weeks.
Any other movements between the clubs?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Apparently there was a ACT 7's comp held last week. Does anyone know anything of this or get along to watch?

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Apparently there was a ACT 7's comp held last week. Does anyone know anything of this or get along to watch?

Still going, men's on a Friday night, Women and kids on a Saturday:
Friday 9th October
- (Games 6.00pm to 7.40pm)
- Men's 7's

· Saturday 10th October
- (Games 12.00pm to 4.00pm)
- Women's 7's and Girls U18/U15 7's

· Friday 16th October
- (Games 6.00pm to 7.40pm)
- Men's 7's

· Saturday 17th October

· Saturday 24th October

· Saturday 31st October
- Women's 7's, Girls U18/U15
- Boys U18/U16 7's

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
in the mens Eagles had to get a point from their last game against uni to ensure the they took out the comp. They failed to do that in somewhat controversial circumstances leaving the gate open for Wests to take the title with a bonus point win. Wests happily obliged with a big win over Tuggies. some good 7's played but also some out of condition guys having a run in the off-season.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What's Easts situation for 2016? Any possiblity of them being a dark horse this season?

I can't see much changing with Easts - if they are going to rebuild it's not going to be a quick fix.

I would say a lot of 1st grade sides will start pre-season within the next month - so will start to get an idea around how sides are building.

Oz talent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Been over at the RWC- what an amazing experience... Hopefully the Brumbies come good and really challenge again in 2016.
how are clubs looking?
any news?
are all spots on the Brumbies roster taken for next year?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I notice that the Brumbies 7's side that was picked from the local tournament last month, is playing at the 'Fishers Ghosts 7's" in Campbletown this w'end. Has anyone knowledge of the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.