• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks for the report mate and good luck getting the splinters out of you backside after your starting pack predictions haha. You can't pick two players in each position- who are you dropping??

Interesting Tuggies seconds went down again. QBN would be $1.01 for the seconds premiership now.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Thanks for the report mate and good luck getting the splinters out of you backside after your starting pack predictions haha. You can't pick two players in each position- who are you dropping??

Interesting Tuggies seconds went down again. QBN would be $1.01 for the seconds premiership now.

Haha!

I have no idea what I would do re: the starting 2nd/back row - 2 options -

4. Wilson
5. Leaper
6. Wells (Jones dropped)
7. Penca
8. Noa

Sok playing 50 odd mins in 2nd's and then 30 odd minutes in 1st's as an impact player - replacing Leaper - moving Noa again to the 2nd row - just as they did today and it worked well.

OR -

4. Wilson
5. Noa (Leaper dropped)
6. Wells (Jones dropped)
7. Penca
8. Sok

Only thing I can really see this impacting is possible line-out options - but Sok is a jumper so can replace Leaper's spot.

Not sure when Wells is back - not sure if he has the whole of June off due to the Brumbies not playing etc.

Yea I was thinking the same thing re: Tuggers 2nd's - not looking good at the moment - Whites should be in clear 1st spot now.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure when Wells is back - not sure if he has the whole of June off due to the Brumbies not playing etc.

Yea I was thinking the same thing re: Tuggers 2nd's - not looking good at the moment - Whites should be in clear 1st spot now.

Would have to think Wells would be a strong chance to play in the Brumbies' World Club 10s side (18/19 June I think).

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is Tai Valeri any chance of returning this year or is he out of action more long term?

Honestly not sure mate - not sure how long he has been sent away for.

At this point in the comp and with the depth the Whites currently have in the 2nd row/back row positions not sure if he could squeeze himself back into the side - I would say if he did come back he would more than likely play the season out in the lower grades.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would have to think Wells would be a strong chance to play in the Brumbies' World Club 10s side (18/19 June I think).

Yea that is true!

I guess let's take Wells out of the picture for the moment - there are still 2 options being -

4. Wilson
5. Leaper
6. Jones
7. Penca
8. Noa

Sok playing 50 odd mins in 2nd's and then 30 odd minutes in 1st's as an impact player - replacing Leaper - moving Noa again to the 2nd row - just as they did today and it worked well.

V's the Vikings in 2 weeks time I think they will go with the structure above. (Unless Wells is avb)

OR -

4. Wilson
5. Noa (Leaper dropped)
6. Jones
7. Penca
8. Sok

Depending on what Sok's fitness is like and how his injury pulled up you might even see him travelling to Gungahlin with the 4th/3rd grade sides next week to get some more match fitness (1st/2nd/Colts have the BYE)

At the end of the day if they kept everything the same and stuck with the same 4-8 that would be totally fine - at the moment it is the form 2nd row/back-row in the comp.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also Canberra Vikings Coaches have been announced -

Wayne Southwell from Royals will be the head coach

Adam Fahey from Queanbeyan and Tim Sampson from Tuggeranong named assistants.

Dan Palmer stays as scrum coach with Dan McKellar as coaching director.

Some players from Queanbeyan that could push for spots -

Penca (A must in the squad)
Noa (A must in the squad)

Barbaro (Prop)
Elliot (Hooker)

Leaper (Lock)
Wilson (Lock)

Douch (Scrumhalf)
Chalker (5/8)

Tiatia (Centre)

Anyone else want to possibly list some players from their clubs that could push for a Canberra Vikings spot?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Noa playing in this comp is OJ Noa, who played for the Harlequins in 2014, won player of the year in the Dewar Shield and played for the Rising in 2014 before moving North, I think he made the Vikings squad last year.

Sakarai Noa plays for Moorabbin and made the Rising squad last year.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also Canberra Vikings Coaches have been announced -

Wayne Southwell from Royals will be the head coach

Adam Fahey from Queanbeyan and Tim Sampson from Tuggeranong named assistants.

Dan Palmer stays as scrum coach with Dan McKellar as coaching director.

Some players from Queanbeyan that could push for spots -

Penca (A must in the squad)

Noa (A must in the squad)

Barbaro (Prop)

Elliot (Hooker)

Leaper (Lock)

Wilson (Lock)

Douch (Scrumhalf)

Chalker (5/8)

Tiatia (Centre)

Anyone else want to possibly list some players from their clubs that could push for a Canberra Vikings spot?

I would presume that last years squad would get 1st dibs. However, there are a few names absent thru retirement, injury, transfer:
Rodney Iona
Phil Kite
Jerome Nuimata
Rowan Perry
Ita Vaea
Joe Tomane
D Oakman-Hunt

Would suggest Frankie Fanifo would/should not get a spot also due to lack of game-time and dare I say, form.
Jordan Jackson-Hope and Ben Hyne from the Vikings will be there and I would like to see young Sam Giltrap in the squad. Gungahlins Jamie Kotz is another youngster that I would like to see given a chance.

One moment between Vikings and Gungahlin yesterday, highlighted the class of both these players. In a game definitely not made for backs, Kotz sprinted 60-70 mtrs only to be cut down by Giltrap who moments earlier had been caught in a ruck on the other side of the field.

Would also Like to see Andrew Robinson play for the Vikings as opposed to a Sydney side

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)

The couple of games Ive seen this year involving Tuggies, I certainly wouldn't be putting my money on them. However, Finals are always a different ball game as we know, and will depend on players being dropped from 1st grade to allow for Rep players returning

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would presume that last years squad would get 1st dibs. However, there are a few names absent thru retirement, injury, transfer:
Rodney Iona
Phil Kite
Jerome Nuimata
Rowan Perry
Ita Vaea
Joe Tomane
D Oakman-Hunt

Would suggest Frankie Fanifo would/should not get a spot also due to lack of game-time and dare I say, form.
Jordan Jackson-Hope and Ben Hyne from the Vikings will be there and I would like to see young Sam Giltrap in the squad. Gungahlins Jamie Kotz is another youngster that I would like to see given a chance.

One moment between Vikings and Gungahlin yesterday, highlighted the class of both these players. In a game definitely not made for backs, Kotz sprinted 60-70 mtrs only to be cut down by Giltrap who moments earlier had been caught in a ruck on the other side of the field.

Would also Like to see Andrew Robinson play for the Vikings as opposed to a Sydney side

Yea mate there are acouple of spots up for the taking/or at least as back-ups (part of the wider squad).

Yea mate Frankie is done - I think he is a great player but playing 2nd's most of the year and doesn't look as fit as he did - if he gets selected over some of the other club guys sh*t will get crazy haha.

Kotz will make the squad for sure - not sure about Giltrap.

The squad should be named in the next week I think - more than likely a squad of 35 odd players i'd say!

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Some names for the Training Squad I reckon if you have had recent articles by Canberra Times and the group selected in the Australian Barbarians against the Aust Under 20

Nick Jones and Tuidraki with Baa Baa's in Brodie Leber, OJ Noa, Edan Campbell - O'Brien, Andrew Robinson, Liam Berry, Neori Nadruku and Max Pizzamiglio.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some names for the Training Squad I reckon if you have had recent articles by Canberra Times and the group selected in the Australian Barbarians against the Aust Under 20

Nick Jones and Tuidraki with Baa Baa's in Brodie Leber, OJ Noa, Edan Campbell - O'Brien, Andrew Robinson, Liam Berry, Neori Nadruku and Max Pizzamiglio.

Yep should of had Nadruku in the Whites guys I suggest.

When you break it down there are a heap of good players running around in the John I Dent - I am guessing/hoping they will have the ACT side again this year to give some of the guys that don't make the starting 23 Vikings side a chance to play some rep footy.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Current Ladder - (After 10 Rounds)

Vikings - 44

Whites - 40

Royals - 31

Eagles - 31

Uni-Norths - 25

Wests - 18

Easts - 12

** I have seen 2 different ladders now one having Royals higher than Eagles and then Eagles being higher than Royals - unsure which one is correct - but I believe they are now both on 31 points.

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Round 11 - (Short Round due to Public holiday)

Wests V Royals @ Jamison

Vikings V Uni-Norths @ Viking Park

Whites, Easts, Eagles - BYE E

Predictions this week -

Wests playing some great rugby V's the Whites last weekend + a win the week before I think they will be starting to build some confidence - Royals having the BYE last week will be fresh ready to go but I think Wests may ambush Royals - Going for an upset - Wests by 3

Vikings V's Uni - I think Uni will stick with the Vikings for the 1st 40 and then start to fade - Vikings by 25

Also if anyone is down at Batemans Bay this weekend they are hosting the Brumbies Provincial Championships - Rep Sides from -

- South Coast
- Southern Inland
- Monaro (which will contain players from the 3rd/4th grade Canberra comp)

They will play over 3 days and then a Brumbies Provincial Rep side will be selected - it's a good watch if you are down there - just a heads up!

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
** I have seen 2 different ladders now one having Royals higher than Eagles and then Eagles being higher than Royals - unsure which one is correct - but I believe they are now both on 31 points.

JID uses PD as the first tiebreaker, so Royals are third, Eagles are fourth.

Also, I think you've fallen into the same trap I did after the first Owls-Wests game, Wests are deceptively good against a team that is off its game for whatever reason, but still not good enough to win. I won't be shocked if the Easts game is their only win for the season.

Also, we're back to the glorious repeat-fixtures, with round 13 simply a repeat of round 10 at the reverse grounds.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
UC Vikings Preliminary Training Squad

Nick Dobson Prop Gungahlin Eagles
Mitch Douch Scrumhalf Queanbeyan Whites
Luke Duffey Centre Gungahlin Eagles
Carl Elliot Hooker Queanbeyan Whites
Seth Going Wing Canberra Royals
Brent Hamlin Scrumhalf Canberra Royals
Cuan Hublutzel Hooker Uni-Norths Owls
Nick Jones Flanker/No.8 Uni-Norths Owls
Jake Knight Wing Tuggeranong Vikings
Jamie Kotz Wing Gungahlin Eagles
Brodie Leber Flanker Western Districts Lions
Harry Lloyd Prop Western Districts Lions
Connal McInerney Hooker Canberra Royals
Keith Morgan Centre Queanbeyan Whites
Neori Nadruku Prop Queanbeyan Whites
OJ Noa Flanker/No.8 Queanbeyan Whites
Dean Oakman-Hunt Flanker/No.8 Tuggeranong Vikings
Dan Penca Flanker Queanbeyan Whites
Jake Rakic Centre Tuggeranong Vikings
Andrew Robinson Centre Tuggeranong Vikings
Nick Saunders Flanker Eastern Suburbs
Eli Sinoti Wing Western Districts Lions
Faalelei Sione Prop Canberra Royals
Steve Sione Flanker/No.8 Canberra Royals
Brendan Spears Wing Queanbeyan Whites
Ernest Suavai Centre Tuggeranong Vikings
Sione Taula Prop Tuggeranong Vikings
Isaac Thompson Flyhalf/Fullback Tuggeranong Vikings
Iosua Tonga Flanker/No.8 Tuggeranong Vikings
Pat Tuidraki Centre Gungahlin Eagles
Harry Tyson Fullback Canberra Royals
Mitch Ward Scrumhalf Gungahlin Eagles
Toby Wilson Lock Queanbeyan Whites
Brendon Woodward Flanker Canberra Royals

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Queanbeyan - 8
Vikings - 8
Royals - 7
Gungahlin - 5
Wests - 3
Uni Norths - 2
Easts - 1

I think the club representation is a pretty accurate reflection of the current JID ladder.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It will be interesting to see who makes the cut with a significant amount of players in the Brumbies and wider training group available for NRC............

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
It will be interesting to see who makes the cut with a significant amount of players in the Brumbies and wider training group available for NRC....

Well I wouldn't be cutting Toby Wilson as he is the only lock in the squad. He'll be a busy boy jumping at 2 and 4 and pushing both sides in the scrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.