• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Very well balanced squad - and a great reflection of how the comp is travelling.

Awesome to see 8 Whites players in there - Spears and JR (Keith Morgan) have been playing some awesome rugby - I was thinking of putting them down on my list earlier in the week but thought they may miss out - so great to see them there.

The Whites players that I really think should be in the final playing squad -

Penca
Noa
Elliot
Nadruku
Wilson - A 2nd row of Wilson and Hyne (from Vikings) would be awesome

Possibly considering Wallabies/international selections i.e (Powel and the argie not being here) Douch could push for a spot - I personally think he is better than Dowestt.

One guy I am surprised who missed out was Chalker - the no.10 for Whites - he has been playing some great rugby and would have him over Thompson.

Also good to see Carl Elliot in the side - I thought he would be there. Not sure of the back story with Carl (came from Wests?) and I am not sure how old he is - must only be early 20's but this dude is one to watch out for - if the Brumbies are having Hooker issues next year then man I would really look at possibly snapping this guy up - extremely good old school style rugby player.

Seat Warmer

Frank Row (1)
Very well balanced squad - and a great reflection of how the comp is travelling.

Awesome to see 8 Whites players in there - Spears and JR (Keith Morgan) have been playing some awesome rugby - I was thinking of putting them down on my list earlier in the week but thought they may miss out - so great to see them there.

The Whites players that I really think should be in the final playing squad -

Penca
Noa
Elliot
Nadruku
Wilson - A 2nd row of Wilson and Hyne (from Vikings) would be awesome

Possibly considering Wallabies/international selections i.e (Powel and the argie not being here) Douch could push for a spot - I personally think he is better than Dowestt.

One guy I am surprised who missed out was Chalker - the no.10 for Whites - he has been playing some great rugby and would have him over Thompson.

Also good to see Carl Elliot in the side - I thought he would be there. Not sure of the back story with Carl (came from Wests?) and I am not sure how old he is - must only be early 20's but this dude is one to watch out for - if the Brumbies are having Hooker issues next year then man I would really look at possibly snapping this guy up - extremely good old school style rugby player.

Seat Warmer

Frank Row (1)
Yes, Carl Elliot is a Wests Junior and a good player. He along with about a dozen other good players have left Wests over the last 3 years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only Country because ARU refused to allow an International Transfer to NZL for the ITM Cup (Southland Stags IIRC) while NRC was on, and the Vikings NRC roster was full, and NSW Country Eagles wasn't.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Arnold was also playing for Vikings last year, and he would be expected to be in Wallaby camp...........

That would leave Staniforth and Enever as the first choice locks.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Enever and Staniforth will be the likely second row pairing...

Smiler has also been used at lock in previous seasons.

Yea mate I don't believe Wilson or Hyne will be in the starting side (unless injury) - Hyne should make the playing squad and hopefully Wilson gets a good crack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yea I guess he is still with the 7's side - can't remember the last time he played for Royals - maybe one game last year?

Has been with the 7s rehab side for some time now. Not sure of his current fitness status, but if he's right will most likely be training with the 7s squad hoping for a spot at Rio.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'd say the ladder isn't going to change much, the top 4 is locked in. I think Qbn and Royals will end up being the top 2 and will meet in the grand final.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I'd say the ladder isn't going to change much, the top 4 is locked in. I think Qbn and Royals will end up being the top 2 and will meet in the grand final.

I'm not so sure. QBN's very soft run into the finals is a worry and you can't write off Tuggies or Darra. Tuggies rolled Royals a couple of weeks ago and Darra are building nicely. It is one of the most open and best JIDs in years!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Have to agree with you that I think the ladder is somewhat locked up - the only thing I can see changing if Uni some how pull something out of the bag and get a few wins and knock Eagles/Royals out of the Top 4 but to be honest I don't think that will happen.

I do have abit of a feeling that Wests could get up V's Royals this weekend though!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm not so sure. QBN's very soft run into the finals is a worry and you can't write off Tuggies or Darra. Tuggies rolled Royals a couple of weeks ago and Darra are building nicely. It is one of the most open and best JIDs in years!

Re: The Whites draw - I think due to the nature of the comp (only 7 sides in the comp) - I don't think any side has a good/bad draw leading upto the finals - i.e the Vikings Draw for the rest of the season -

Vikings Draw -

V Uni @home
V Whites @away
V Eagles @home
V Wests @away
V Easts @home
V BYE
V Royals @away

V's the Whites Draw -

V BYE
V Vikings @home
V Wests @away
V Easts @home
V Royals @home
V Uni @home
V BYE

I do agree that possibly having a last round BYE could be a bad thing but its hard to say - will the rest be good, will it be better to play a top 4 side - still not sure haha - playing one extra game - does that give the Vikings the edge - does it impact fatigue?

Only time will tell I guess haha....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's saying that the Vikings or Whites are going to be in the grand final and win the grand final - and we all know what happened last year...lol...

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I might be a bit late to the party..... I've been away. Just had a look at the NRC squad. Probably some guys who'll be a bit disappointed but it's certainly a better representation of club rugby as a whole than last years squad.

Does anyone know if there's a limit on super contracted players? Just off the top of my head you've got:

Props: Alexander, Anae, Makin, Smith and Lomax
Hookers: Mann-Rae and Abel
Locks: Enever and Staniforth
Back Row: Butler, Smiler, Wells, Hyne and bloke from Melbourne they just signed?
Halfback: Dowsett, Powell (maybe), Lonergan (new signing)
Fly half: Jooste
Centres: Jackson-Hope, Smith, Lausi
Wingers: Ah Wong, Coleman, Dargaville
Fullback: Toua

I'm probably missing some. But there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of room for club guys.

This might be the craziest thing anyone has ever said but I honestly think Canberra should have two teams. Everyone is so hung up on bringing the Kookaburras back, why not have the UC Kookaburras and the Canberra Vikings? Seems like everyone wins and opens about an extra 20 odd spots for club players.

In my opinion this competitions needs to be about development. And adding more teams achieves that goal.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I might be a bit late to the party... I've been away. Just had a look at the NRC squad. Probably some guys who'll be a bit disappointed but it's certainly a better representation of club rugby as a whole than last years squad.

Does anyone know if there's a limit on super contracted players? Just off the top of my head you've got:

Props: Alexander, Anae, Makin, Smith and Lomax
Hookers: Mann-Rae and Abel
Locks: Enever and Staniforth
Back Row: Butler, Smiler, Wells, Hyne and bloke from Melbourne they just signed?
Halfback: Dowsett, Powell (maybe), Lonergan (new signing)
Fly half: Jooste
Centres: Jackson-Hope, Smith, Lausi
Wingers: Ah Wong, Coleman, Dargaville
Fullback: Toua

I'm probably missing some. But there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of room for club guys.

This might be the craziest thing anyone has ever said but I honestly think Canberra should have two teams. Everyone is so hung up on bringing the Kookaburras back, why not have the UC Kookaburras and the Canberra Vikings? Seems like everyone wins and opens about an extra 20 odd spots for club players.

In my opinion this competitions needs to be about development. And adding more teams achieves that goal.

I agree but it is about $$$. From memory there is a cap but I am not sure how you rank people like JJH who has come off the bench a couple of times, Jooste who is contracted but has not played bar a trial in Wagga, Hyne has played every JID game and is on a development contract. these guys can't be classed the same as Smiler. As for Lonergan they wont let him play colts, he wont be playing NRC.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is a limit on how any Super Rugby contracted players each team can have, but I don't remember the number (roughly somewhere between 15-18?).........

JJH will be getting a Brumbies contract for next year, and his profile has already been added to the Brumbies site along with Hyne.........

I imagine the Brumbies will have to loan a prop, hooker and maybe an outside back to another team?

Dowsett isn't being retained so he'll probably go back to a Sydney team.

Status
Not open for further replies.