• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Mate! Did you see my predictions from Tuesday haha -

Predictions this week -

Wests playing some great rugby V's the Whites last weekend + a win the week before I think they will be starting to build some confidence - Royals having the BYE last week will be fresh ready to go but I think Wests may ambush Royals - Going for an upset - Wests by 3

Vikings V's Uni - I think Uni will stick with the Vikings for the 1st 40 and then start to fade - Vikings by 25

** Page 23

After watching West V's Whites (yes only one game) - I honestly think as I mentioned last Saturday they are a really solid side and I am surprised they have not won more games - could we see a fight back from Wests in the 2nd half of the season - their draw for the rest of the season -

- BYE
- Whites - Home
- Vikings - Home
- Uni - Away
- Eagles - Away
- Easts - Home

Tough few weeks - honestly Whites are going to have it tough at Jamison in afew weeks if they play anything like they did last Saturday. . anything could happen for Wests over the next 6 weeks.

I checked out the Vikings game yesterday - As I expected the Vikings blew Uni out of the water. Butler strengthened the back-row which I feel has been the Vikings biggest weakness this year, then Powell just putting the ball on a plate for Robinson - then Ah Wong with the finishing skills - the 3 Brumbies made a big difference.

If they play V's Whites next week I am a little worried.

Uni were ok in parts - but at the end of the day as the score says just totally outplayed - I think Wests will finishing above Uni this year - I just can't see them winning many more games this year - maybe 1 V's Easts in acouple of weeks.

Yeah I did see that - I couldn't go fishing this weekend so I thought I'd see if I could get a bite out of you instead haha. It was a good prediction!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Hopefully for Royals the wake up call they need? I recall they got smashed in the last home and away game by Tuggies last year before bouncing back.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 12 this weekend -

Easts V Eagles @Griffith

Uni-Norths V Royals @ANU

Whites V Vikings @Campese

Wests - BYE

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
What a cracking round ahead. Can Royals hold off unis charge to knock them out of the four? The victor at Campese surely walks away premiership favourite.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What a cracking round ahead. Can Royals hold off unis charge to knock them out of the four? The victor at Campese surely walks away premiership favourite.

Both Uni and Royals will be fired up after some not so great performances this weekend - I think Royals will get away with the win in a close game.

Whites V's Vikings is the biggest game of the year upto now - the winner will become the GF fav's but even if Whites get the win I don't think they can knock Vikings off the top spot of the ladder (not that it really matters). Will be a cracker - old boys day for the Whites they will be insanely pump'd up.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alrighty - what are we thinking this weekend?

I believe there will be very limited Brumbies (if any) due to the 10's comp this weekend - so all teams should be playing with their full "club sides" -

Easts V Eagles @Griffith

Again Easts will prob stick with the Eagles for the 1st 40-50 mins and then Eagles will start to put some points on - I think we have yet to see the worst of Easts and leading into the end of the year we could see some big scores - Eagles by 25

Uni-Norths V Royals @ANU
Both sides will not be happy about last weekend and will want to show they have what it takes - Royals for me are too experienced, too professional and have more strike power than Uni - Royals by 10

Whites V Vikings @Campese

This is prob going to be the biggest game of the year upto now - Vikings seem to have a knack of winning and Campese and Whites seem to like winning at Viking Park - so its always an interesting fixture - as mentioned above I don't believe we will see any Brumbies in this game (maybe Les Makin?) but I think most will be overseas at the 10's comp - so when you break it right down Whites have the edge in the forwards and Vikings may JUST have the edge in the backs - looks like it may be a rainy old day at Campese on Saturday so if its kept in tight then I believe the Whites will have the game - if it opens up abit they could be in trouble - also being old boys day, Barbaro being presented with his 100th game tie etc, and of course being a Whites V's Vikings clash both sides will be pump'd - Whites by 4

Current Ladder -

Vikings - 49

Whites - 44

Eagles - 35

Royals - 33

Uni Norths - 25

Wests - 23

Easts - 16

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the Vikings website:

Premier Division 1st Grade
VIKINGS POWER PAST OWLS
By Jess Allardyce​
A powerful 80-minute performance from Vikings has firmed then on top of the John I Dent ladder and likely ended Uni North’s chances of finals in 2016 with a dominant score line of 61-3.
Bolstered by Brumbies contracted players Jarred Butler, Nigel Ah Wong and Wallaby squad member Joe Powell the Vikings looked determined to heap pressure on the Owls, maximise scoring and keep their own stingy defence intact. The battle of the Brumbies scrumhalves (Dowsett and Powell) was always to be a highlight and whilst Michael Dowsett was industrious it was Joe Powell who displayed speed of service and many attacking involvements to win the battle and day.
The scoring started after a sustained build-up of phases with veteran prop forward Sione Taula diving over from close range for 7-0 lead.
Not long after Sam Irwin got the students on the board with a penalty goal to take the score to 7-3. From here it was all Vikings as some spectacular tries were scored by Powell, Sam Giltrap and Andrew Robinson.
A feature of the game was the all over the ground support from Vikings back row of Hitchins, Butler and Oakman-Hunt and the ability of the inside backs in Robinson and Rakic to find holes for themselves or their men out wide.
Jake Rakic gave an outstanding individual display crossing the try line three times himself as well as setting up numerous raids. Another try to Ernest Suavai cemented a Vikings victory, as a superb defensive effort froze Uni out of any chance of scoring.
Best for Vikings included in-from centre Jake Rakic with a hat-trick, Dean Oakman-Hunt, Andrew Robinson and Joe Powell.
Vikings Head Coach Tim Sampson was pleased with his sides ability to find the line turning pressure into points and more importantly defend their own line but realises some big challenges await his side in the coming weeks, starting with Queanbeyan Whites at David Campese Oval next week.
The final score, 61-3.
Try’s: Powell (2), Taula, Robertson, Suavai, Rakic (3), Giltrap
Conversions: Robinson (7/8), Rakic (1/1)

Next week Vikings club will travel to face Queanbeyan, which will be Match of the Round and top of the table clashes in Premier 1st and 2nd Grade and First Division 2nd Grade.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Am very tempted to head out to Taylor Park this weekend, however I will be attending the Uni-Norths/Royals game. Expecting a bonus point win from our boys, even if we are away from home.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any inside word on the sides for this weekend?

I can't see Vikings changing much.

Ah Wong out (with 10s)
Butler out (with 10s)
Powell wasn't named in 10s presumably as injury cover for wallabies (he could still play)
Sio left out of wallabies squad but I doubt they force him to play club footy.

Murray or Fianifo in on the wing
Vejvoda in for the back row
Bowden in if Powell doesn't play.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some intriguing contests this weekend in J1D, with Vikings /Whites potentially a cracker. Unfortunately, I'm interstate so will be relying on this thread for an in-depth analysis of that particular game.
Could I request of my fellow bloggers (I'm looking at you No8., macka au etc) a bit of a comparative ratings between the opposing sections in each team ie. Tight 5 loosies, halves, centres and back 3. Cheers guys

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Have to say I haven't made as many games this year as I'd like but I've greatly appreciated the reports and updates on here from number 8 and others. Much appreciated guys and keep it up!

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some intriguing contests this weekend in J1D, with Vikings /Whites potentially a cracker. Unfortunately, I'm interstate so will be relying on this thread for an in-depth analysis of that particular game.
Could I request of my fellow bloggers (I'm looking at you No8., macka au etc) a bit of a comparative ratings between the opposing sections in each team ie. Tight 5 loosies, halves, centres and back 3. Cheers guys
I'll give you ratings for the Uni/Royals game this weekend at ANU North. Should be an absolute pearler. Tipping Royals by 40.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I'll do my best mate! Have a cracker time interstate.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 12 Stampede is out -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-12_website.pdf?836015

Re: the discussion around Sok and where he will be playing - looks like he has been named at No.8 in 2nd grade - so what I think will happen is Sok will prob play 40-50 minutes of 2nd grade - then in the 1st grade game Leaper the 2nd rower will come off after 50 minutes > Noa into the 2nd row > Sok to No.8 for the remainder of the game.

No real surprises in the sides - Murray comes in at 14 for the Vikings though.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
The oldest trick in the book - if your pack isn't working you beef it up by throwing a Sok in there!

Wet conditions will likely suit QBN so I'm tipping the whites to have a good win. Nice touch naming the stand after Col Maxwell and great to hear Br Bob Wallace will be down for the naming.

Status
Not open for further replies.