• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
They had the ACT side playing during the NRC comp last year (not sure if they were under the Griffins banner - can't remember) - and it wasn't a full-blown comp i.e playing warm up matches to NRC Games, playing NRC development sides etc - think in total they may of played 4-5 games.

I would say they would run along the same structure as last year - but would be cool to see a full blown comp > basically running along side the NRC comp > playing before NRC games/Final etc.

Yeah that's along the lines that I heard but with only 1 team from each state

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah that's along the lines that I heard but with only 1 team from each state

Good stuff! This team will be more of a "true reflection" of the top club players - considering most of the NRC Side will be made up of Brumbies - will be interesting to watch some of these games!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
After 12 Rounds - how the Ladders are Looking -

1st Grade -

Vikings - 53
Whites - 45
Eagles - 40
Royals - 35
Uni - 27
Wests - 27
Easts - 16

2nd Grade -

Whites - 50
Vikings - 42
Eagles - 41
Royals - 34
Uni - 29
Wests - 24
Easts - 13

Colts -

Royals - 58
Vikings - 49
Eagles - 42
Whites - 32
Wests - 32
Uni - 15
Easts - 13

1st Grade comp alot of people are thinking the Top 4 is locked in - I still think we could possibly see some changes there - we some teams form possibly dropping/some starting to pick up. I don't believe Vikings can be knocked off the top spot now. 2nd grade much like 1sts the Top 4 looks to be locked up and I don't believe there will be much/if any movement really from this point - besides the Vikings possibly dropping from 2nd spot which is unheard of in recent years - Whites have an extremely strong 2nd grade side and I can't see them being knocked off top spot. Really at the moment if you can lock in a top 2 spot and secure possibly that extra chance into a GF then that as a coach is what I would be focusing on.

Colts are dominated by a strong Royals side - Vikings trying to close the gap and then you have everyone else - really you would think that it will be a Royals V's Vikings GF again - but anything can happen. Whites are needing a win this weekend V's Wests to stay just in the top 4.

3rd Grade (Top 6) -

Hall - 50
Eagles - 45
Goulburn - 42
Whites - 39
Three sides below that on 35 points -
Uni - 35
Royals -35
Vikings - 35

Full ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

4th Grade (Top 6) -

Vikings - 58
Wests - 48
Whites - 47
Royals - 31
RMC - 29
Young - 27

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

The 3rd/4th grade comp this year has been interesting and due to the number of teams I guess has taken a while to "settle" - In 3rd grade Hall are steaming ahead - I think this year's 3rd grade Semi's and possibly GF could be abit of a mixed bag - we may not see the "traditional" sides of Vikings, Whites, Wests, Royals in the final/s.

4th grade is looking a little more "traditional" with Vikings leading the way - with Wests/Whites in really strong spots in 3rd/4th spot - then Royals making up the 4 - but RMC or Young could sneak in. Whites need to get a win V's Wests this weekend - as mentioned above getting that 2nd spot and giving yourself a shot at possibly another game to make the GF should be a real focus for sides at the moment.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't want to bag the officials, and I know that without them there would be no game. But in this case they made a massive error. Noting that this happened directly in front of the touchie and was a blatant act of foul play something should have been done. I know this is a contact sport and accidents happen, but I have watch this a number of times, the player has ample time to avoid contact. The player he hits is without the ball, in fact never has the ball and is looking away. The Easts fullback never takes his eye off the Gungahlin winger and makes no attempt to slow down or evade him. He makes no attempt to tackle the player instead uses the shoulder directly into the jaw of his opponent. Shoulder charges are not legal when a player is in possession of the ball, they are certainly not allowed when a player is not and is looking away. Play continued, but the player is still on the ground being treated when the game ends and the players walk off. I don't know who the fullback is but it is not Marco Ferrini as named in the program, Ferrini was on the left wing. I am left in no doubt that this was a deliberate attempt to take out the winger, who has scored 7 tries, yes 7, against Easts this year. I am biased as an Eagles supporter but there is no place for this in our game. I hope he is cited and spends time on the side line but the officials dropped the ball on this one IMO. Judge for yourself, it is at about the 4 minute 10 second mark of the video

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah I have no issues with it. I wouldn't be outraged if it was a penalty but definatly no sighting or further action. I'm comfortable with the on field non call.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the Vikings website;

Vikings Hold the Door Open for Minor Premiership
By Keiran Deck​
The Vikings have had their biggest test of character under new Coach Tim Sampson, nailing a penalty in the final minutes to defeat Queanbeyan 15-13.
The Vikings had the lead for 75-minutes of the game at Campese Oval, before a relentless Whites attack edged ahead. An unconverted try handed the home side a one-point lead with less than five minutes to go.
The Vikings wrestled possession after the restart, and placed pressure on the clearance kicker three times, before the referee awarded a penalty at the breakdown in front of the posts.
Isaac Thompson, on return from injury, nailed the penalty attempt and scrumhalf Joe Powell directed traffic to play out extra time in their own half, ensuring a gritty win.
Sampson was full of praise for his men after the impressive defensive effort. “It’s the sort of blokes they are,” he said. “It’s something that I haven’t had to coach into them – that’s a massive strength of this squad, it’s how tight they are and they’ve got each other’s back.”
The game started several hours after consistent rain cleared, leaving muddy patches and plenty of surface water. It would be a game won by the best forward pack.
Breakdown pressure and quick ball from Powell created an overlap on the left wing, where Sam Gilltrap used quick hands to put Jake Knight over the line.
Andrew Robinson missed the conversion attempt and the Vikings had an early 5-0 lead.
Vikings continued to place a lot of pressure at the breakdown but Queanbeyan dominated the scrum. The first quarter of the match was played largely in the centre of the park.
The home side would have come into the game with a plan to shut down Vikings backrower Ben Hyne, who is one of the competition’s leading try scorers. The majority of his tries this season have come from hard running close to the line.
The next five points arrived in the 25th minute, when Hyne ran a direct line metres from the try line. He was taken down, but the momentum helped him barrel roll over the chalk. Robinson added the extras and the Vikings led 12-0.
If Queanbeyan had planned to nullify the impact of Hyne, Tuggeranong would have thought about how they were going to stop Sokai Tai.
Tai came on in as a temporary replacement for Dan Penca who was sent to the blood bin in the first half. He made several line breaks straight away.
The third of his significant breaks ended in Chris Barbaro falling over the chalk to the right side of the ruck which had formed just short of the try line.
At half time, Vikings held a seven point lead, 12-5.
Whites fans celebrated Old Boys day by unveiling a plaque on the famous Campese Oval balcony, renaming it the ‘Col Maxell Balcony’. Club members remembered the late club legend, who coached the club to three Premierships in the ‘80s, among a raft of other achievements.
The sun poked through the clouds early in the second half. Dan Matthews kicked a penalty goal in the first 10-minutes that would allow the home side back into the game, in the dying minutes.
The Whites camped in the Vikings’ left defensive corner for eight minutes before they finally found a way through, off the back of another dominant scrum.
Matthews missed the conversion attempt, leaving the margin at one point, 13-12.
Pressure on Mitch Douch forced him to use his clearing kick poorly, straight into Vikings hands. Last year’s runners up benefitted from the good field position when the referee blew a penalty in the final minute, and Thompson claimed the three points on offer.
Next week, the Vikings are back home to take on the in-form Gungahlin Eagles. Both sides will be hoping for dry conditions, to make the use of their fast outside backs.
The next time the two sides meet is likely to be in the major semi-final in August. Sampson says he’s not looking that far ahead. “It might be different conditions then and might be a totally different game next time out.”

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yea would be happy with a penalty I guess but that's it, but also happy with play to keep going - its a tough one - it's hard to say if he could of pulled out or not in time to stopped the impact - to be honest you will prob see impact like that on a weekly basis. Def acouple in the Vikings/Whites game - prob closer to the ruck area so doesn't look as dramatic but def there.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On another note Uncle Joe - what did Easts look like on the field - did Eagles play badly or Easts played better?

The tough thing with Easts is that if they keep dropping games players will move on next year so its re-building pretty much every year - they are really in a bad cycle atm.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
On another note Uncle Joe - what did Easts look like on the field - did Eagles play badly or Easts played better

Easts were not terrible and did some good things. it was a bit wet but not wet enough to justify the mistakes from both sides. Too much dropped ball. Easts really only looked likely to score a couple of times and never looked like they could win the game. Eagles need to play to their strengths a little more if they want to rival Tuggers, Qtown and the Marist boys.

We will agree to disagree on the other point. I would hate to see a season ending broken jaw with an unexpected shoulder charge off the ball. I get that it is contact sport but you can't take out players not in possession. the game was not in the balance and it was not necessary.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alright what are we thinking for this weekend? Predictions -

Easts V's Uni @Griffith

I think this game will follow the same lines as other games when sides play Easts - Easts will stick with it for 40 odd minutes and then drop off - Uni by 20-30

Wests V's Whites @Jamison

This will be a slug-fest I reckon - again in cold and possible somewhat wet conditions - Whites are going to be up against it V's a Wests team with some confidence - this is for me abit of a worrying game - Going to say Whites by 4

Vik's V's Eagles @Viking Park

This is the chance for the Eagles to show they are true contenders in this comp - they knocked off the Whites earlier in the year - they need to stick it to Vikings if they want to build the confidence moving into the finals - Vikings will be a bashed up side from last week so for the Eagles this could be the perfect time to snatch a win - I think come the 60 min mark Vikings may tick into another gear though and put on some late tries - Vikings by 10

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Easts vs Uni @Griffith
The students will win this by 13 points.
Wests vs Whites @Jamison
The Whites will emerge as victors by 8 points here.
Vikings vs Eagles @Viking Park
Vikings will continue on their way and win by 11.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Have just read the Vikings team list where there are a few changes with the most noticeable the inclusion of Thompson and Fanifo in the backline. While Thompson slipping back was probably inevitable , I have to feel for Giltrap who in the games Ive seen has been really solid. In fact, I would say that he has been one of their most consistent and continues to learn and improve each week.
A few weeks back the thread touched on the subject of the Vikings perhaps preferring to utilise older players at the expense of encouraging the development of younger ones and this appears to be the case again, particularly as No 8 said, Frankie hasn't been setting reserve grade on fire.
Moreover, Jackson-Hope is due back soon and will probably slot in at 12 pushing most likely Robinson??? to the wing. Maybe the coaches could have stuck with the young bloke at least until then. Any thoughts.....?

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Have just read the Vikings team list where there are a few changes with the most noticeable the inclusion of Thompson and Fanifo in the backline. While Thompson slipping back was probably inevitable , I have to feel for Giltrap who in the games Ive seen has been really solid. In fact, I would say that he has been one of their most consistent and continues to learn and improve each week.
A few weeks back the thread touched on the subject of the Vikings perhaps preferring to utilise older players at the expense of encouraging the development of younger ones and this appears to be the case again, particularly as No 8 said, Frankie hasn't been setting reserve grade on fire.
Moreover, Jackson-Hope is due back soon and will probably slot in at 12 pushing most likely Robinson??? to the wing. Maybe the coaches could have stuck with the young bloke at least until then. Any thoughts...?

Gilltrap didn't play well last week. He made a couple of silly decisions. I think it's as simple as he didn't play well and will spend a week in 2nds to hopefully motivate him to get his spot back. Personally I don't think Fianifo has much left in the tank.

I also noticed Mcgrath comes back into the front row. Should help solve the Vikings scrummaging woes.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Gilltrap didn't play well last week. He made a couple of silly decisions. I think it's as simple as he didn't play well and will spend a week in 2nds to hopefully motivate him to get his spot back. Personally I don't think Fianifo has much left in the tank.

I also noticed Mcgrath comes back into the front row. Should help solve the Vikings scrummaging woes.

Thanks Macka...its the one game I haven't seen although the highlights showed him do some good things. I agree also that a benefit of being in a top club is the competition to keep your place. I hope he has a blinder in seconds

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Been a lot of things not to like about the way Tuggies have gone about things in the past using the weight of the cheque book. I have to say I can't fault the way they have built a team and achieved results this year. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong but I can't critise the way they have gone about things this year. I'll stop short of saying I'd be happy to see them win the flag but I certainly wouldn't begrudge them any success. The new coach seems more likeable than Brad Harris and perhaps that is reflecting in results.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sok into 5 for Leaper at the Whites - Leaper must be injured or away as he is not listed in 2nd's (never trust the stampede though haha) - see what impact this has - this may give Fahey and the coaching staff a good idea of what they will do moving forward.

The Stampede Vikings line-up is different to the lineup listed on their own weekly team-sheets - so see what side shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.