• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Awesome review on the game macka_au - as mentioned sounds like Vikings and Whites 2 weeks in a row have had very similar games.

I just checked the Super Rugby draw - if the Brumbies were able to make it to the final - it is a week before the John I Dent final - so any players selected you would think would be back for the final at least - BUT saying that what impact will that place on the club side - out of the two I think Whites could "get away" with Penca being away simply due to the amount of back-row cover they have - but he is a huge inspiration to the club/players - so would it impact them more on that front trying to make the final?

The way he played yesterday he must know he has a shot at playing for the Brumbies - his running of the ball was some of the best ive seen him do in alot while, his defense as normal was on point - and of course being a pest to Easts around the Ruck.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless the Brumbies get another injury Penca is unlikely to get a call up............

Oakman-Hunt is next in line and might come off the bench this week, and Pocock is potentially due back for the Force match..............

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Unless the Brumbies get another injury Penca is unlikely to get a call up....

Oakman-Hunt is next in line and might come off the bench this week, and Pocock is potentially due back for the Force match......

Hi Slim - keen on your views about whether Penca is the right sort of player for S15. No doubt he is a star in the JID but I don't think he has the right build to make an impact at the higher level. I know he has a lot of supporters in QBN and I love watching him play JID but I can't see him going to S15.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On the topic of Penca, he was pretty damn good in the NRC last year. He looks to be on the short side to me. Is that your worry about him at Super level?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
On the topic of Penca, he was pretty damn good in the NRC last year. He looks to be on the short side to me. Is that your worry about him at Super level?
Are you thinking of Perry? If I recall correctly Penca only played 30 odd minutes of NRC last year, unless that's what you're referring to?

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I was at Nicholls on the weekend and as happened last week with the Vikings and Whites the Eagles came out of the blocks very slowly. They looked tired in defense and disorganized in attack. That may have been a reflection on Royals coming out fresh after a bye and more hungry as they had more to lose but the score was 17-0 at half time. I must give credit though to Royals for the brilliant try from their own 22, the ball must have gone through 6 sets of hands without a backward step and every time they looked like they might be tackle there was a support player in exactly the right position and the pass was perfect. Then as so often happens the worst thing for Royals was the half time break. After the break the Eagles Came out to play and looked much better in paddock not conjunctive to running rugby. The field looks like it never recovered from the mud bath against Tuggies 4 weeks back and I hope that future home games are scheduled at Gungahlin enclosed oval. The Eagles forwards scored twice in the left corner with one of them being converted from the touch line and when they crossed with a lovely run from the stand in fly half Garner the conversion was all that was needed to hit the lead 19-17. Royals had a penalty late to win the game, but missed, as Vikings did last week and as Whites did at this ground in round two. So the Eagles have beaten Royals, Vikings and Whites this season. I agree that the odds should be $2.00 Vikings, $2.01 Whites but if anyone will give me 5 to 1 about the Eagles it might be worth a sneaky few dollars.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I would have thought he was a bit short. He plays above his size in the JID and like No 8 noted his ball running ability is a key part of his game. I just don't see that carrying through to S15 where you need bigger bodies to bend the line. Not questioning his value to QBN or doubting what a great JID player he has been for a long time but just not seeing him as a S15 player.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the Brumbies put up weekly highlights, but not sure about whole games. I thought that Keron Dack bloke might upload the games he commentates to youtube but can't seem to find anything.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would have thought he was a bit short. He plays above his size in the JID and like No 8 noted his ball running ability is a key part of his game. I just don't see that carrying through to S15 where you need bigger bodies to bend the line. Not questioning his value to QBN or doubting what a great JID player he has been for a long time but just not seeing him as a S15 player.

I agree that his height has prob held him back from higher honors - on the Canberra Vikings Page his profile says he is 181cm (W: 101kg) - I don't know if he would be that tall to be honest - but might be wrong.

If he was 185-190cm he would of been contracted (fulltime) by the Brumbies straight out of school I reckon.

Have to respect the guy for giving so much to a club (and school/Eddies) and being one of the best junior and senior players over the past 10-15 years in the ACT.

If anyone deserves a Brumbies spot in the John I Dent it is him - but that is not how professional sport works - I will be happy to see either Oakman-Hunt or Penca there - to be honest its just nice to see ACT Juniors/seniors moving up the ranks to the Brumbies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Are you thinking of Perry? If I recall correctly Penca only played 30 odd minutes of NRC last year, unless that's what you're referring to?

Yep. Not mixing him up with Perry who I think has a hell of a lot of potential and seems to be going good with Easts in Sydney.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yep. Not mixing him up with Perry who I think has a hell of a lot of potential and seems to be going good with Easts in Sydney.

I wonder if Perry is kicking himself abit for leaving now - as it was going Perry > Oakman-Hunt > Penca in the rankings of Brumbies radar last year.

He seems to be going really well in Sydney and Easts are one of the form sides this year (possibly partly a result of him being there) - he should play NRC this year again aswell!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This suggests Penca didn't get much game time in NRC last year
http://www.rugby.com.au/players/dan-penca

The stat that he had 5 ball carries for a total gain of 7 meters goes to my concern that he just isn't a big enough body to make a real impact beyond the JID.

Yea he got very limited game time last year - I know someone mentioned 30 minutes I honestly don't even know if it would of been that long - I was thinking more like 15-20 but might be wrong. So not really enough time to show what he has or what he hasn't got at that level.

He played for the ACT side and I believe captained them during the same time the NRC was going on last year and was a standout.

I remember he was part of the Brumbies Academy side out of school etc and then got dropped with afew other players I believe like Lala Lam, possibly Jack Lam etc - would be interesting from a professional point of view why some of these players just didn't make it.

Another player who I have been keeping an eye on this year after a good NRC is Robbie Abel (playing for Easts) - the few times I have seem him play though really hasn't impressed - Anyone else feel he could be let go by the Brumbies at the end of the season? He's not "young" either being 27-28.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I doubt they'll get rid of Abel, especially with Moore and Anae leaving.....

Yea this is true - guessing he will spend another year in Club Rugby though - I am guessing Mann-Rea will be the starter with Saia as bench player - or vise-versa.

Can't see them bringing Abel up to bench player and having Saia playing Club Rugby all year.

Will be interesting where Saia goes Club wise - will have to be Vikings or Whites - I am guessing Whites due to history but you never know. . . .

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Word is neither dean O-H or Penca will make their debut for Brumbies this week. It looks like they've decided to take Tom Staniforth to New Zealand and hope the back row stays healthy. At a pinch Arnold is probably athletic enough to cover 6 if needed.

Disappointing for both of those boys. But I guess it's still good to see a local getting some time.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Word is neither dean O-H or Penca will make their debut for Brumbies this week. It looks like they've decided to take Tom Staniforth to New Zealand and hope the back row stays healthy. At a pinch Arnold is probably athletic enough to cover 6 if needed.

Disappointing for both of those boys. But I guess it's still good to see a local getting some time.

Don't disagree with the approach they are taking but from Dean O-H perspective you would have to wonder why they had you in training and various other extended squads throughout the year. If he isn't getting called up at a time when every back rower in the club has fallen over then when will he??

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yea this is true - guessing he will spend another year in Club Rugby though - I am guessing Mann-Rea will be the starter with Saia as bench player - or vise-versa.

Can't see them bringing Abel up to bench player and having Saia playing Club Rugby all year.

Will be interesting where Saia goes Club wise - will have to be Vikings or Whites - I am guessing Whites due to history but you never know. .

I think it is a bit of a concern for the brumbies going into next year with 3 mediocre hookers on the roster. I'd rather see them target and recruit a quality hooker or give a nod to a solid up and comer to speed track his development with a view to the future. Josh M-R, Siai and Able are all good back ups and you could run with any one of them but I can't see value in having 3 plodders that are at the end of their careers filling spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.