• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 15 - Stampede -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-15_website.pdf?836015

Whites have gone with what I thought they may do afew weeks ago - they have dropped Leaper and Sok has gone into 5 - this will be interesting to see what impact it has from a starting XV perspective - when they moved to this structure late in the last few games it made a big difference.

Pretty powerful back 5 the Whites have -

4. Wilson
5. Tai
6. Jones
7. Penca
8. Noa

I am guessing Michael Wells will be back after Brumbies duty - so I would say that Jones may get dropped - which would be tough to see because he has given everything this year in 1st grade.

But a back-row of Wells/Penca/Noa - no other back-row in the comp would come close to that.

Robbie Coleman also at fullback this weekend for Whites.

Lomax and Jackson-Hope are back for Vikings - honestly not sure what impact that will make. Looks like Gubler comes up from 2nd grade to fill the No.8 spot - possibly Oakman-Hunt traveled with the Brumbies yesterday?

Easts again will only play 1st's, 2nd's, 3rd's - no games in Colts or 4ths.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Round 15 - Stampede -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-15_website.pdf?836015

Whites have gone with what I thought they may do afew weeks ago - they have dropped Leaper and Sok has gone into 5 - this will be interesting to see what impact it has from a starting XV perspective - when they moved to this structure late in the last few games it made a big difference.

Pretty powerful back 5 the Whites have -

4. Wilson
5. Tai
6. Jones
7. Penca
8. Noa

I am guessing Michael Wells will be back after Brumbies duty - so I would say that Jones may get dropped - which would be tough to see because he has given everything this year in 1st grade.

But a back-row of Wells/Penca/Noa - no other back-row in the comp would come close to that.

Robbie Coleman also at fullback this weekend for Whites.

Lomax and Jackson-Hope are back for Vikings - honestly not sure what impact that will make. Looks like Gubler comes up from 2nd grade to fill the No.8 spot - possibly Oakman-Hunt traveled with the Brumbies yesterday?

Easts again will only play 1st's, 2nd's, 3rd's - no games in Colts or 4ths.

That's a good QBN side and Royals will really have their work cut out to get the points today. The sun is out so I might even get off my arse and wander down to Phillip for a look. If Royals don't put in a good showing today they have to drift heavily in the odds of winning back to back and would be in danger of missing the finals.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Wandered down to Phillip this afternoon - not sure I got my $5 worth of value. QBN won easily in the end but somehow managed to keep Royals in the hunt for 60 odd minutes. Sokai was phenomenal! Probably one of the most dominant displays in attack and defence I've seen in the JID. I'd go so far as to say if he had a Blue jumper on then Royals win today.

I think it is safe to put a line through Royals this season unless there are a half a dozen or so players returning from injury or somewhere? Where is Tyson the skipper from last year? In terms of Royals - Ben Johnson tried hard all day at 15 and Pedro was solid at 9. I'd say the Royals front row narrowly outplayed the QBN front three but beyond that there was very little to get excited about. Steve Sione scored 2 tries but he made no other contibution at number 8. He actually runs on the field looking tired. The Royals backline looks like it could use a gym membership or some KFC vouchers. They tried hard showed some good skills but at times it looked like boys against men.

In terms of QBN I'm not convinced I saw a GF winning team today. Goal kicking is a major concern. You can't score 4 tries to 1 and only take a 10 point lead into half time. The regular kicker was hooked after missing 4 straight and that gave Coleman a chance to step up and miss the next 2 or 3. The game today should have been iced after 30 mins and QBN won't be let off against a better opposition if they kick like that in finals. Nandruku was strong with ball in hand and Wells was useful but I have to say Penca and OJ were fairly invisible today.

The QBN backs were good without being brilliant. Coleman was quiet and didn't make a break all game.

Surprised at the lack of urgency from Royals. There was no sense the season was on the line. Deep in the second half royals trailed by 5 and received back to back penalties inside QBN half. On both occasions Royals executed a very poor kick for touch that game them a line out throw 30 meters out. A half decent kick would have had QBN defending its line. Just a major lack of urgency.

Based on what I saw today I'd have Vikings premiership favourite and I give Gungahlin a big shot at making the GF. That said if Sokai keeps playing at the level he did today it's hard to write QBN off.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Royals 20 - Whites 37

Agree with Istanbul - Whites were abit lack-luster today - saying that they kicked 1 from 8 (I think) - last week they kicked 2 from however many 12,13 - so 3 from 20 odd in the last 2 weeks. Danny Matthews NEEDS to come into the 1st Grade side if simply due to the fact he can kick them from nearly anywhere.

Agree Sok was on fire today!

Whites didn't look good but could of got a 30 point win.

Without a goal kicker they can not win the comp though.

Uni should now leap frog Royals into 4th spot and to be honest I don't think Royals are going to make the 4.

Vikings 86 - Easts 0

Wests 22 - Uni Norths 39

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ACT Rugby Club Competition Round 15

Results

Premier Division

Royals v Queanbeyan
1s Queanbeyan 37 Royals 20
2s Queanbeyan 53 Royals 15
Colts Royals 31 Queanbeyan 17

Uni Norths v Wests
1s Uni Norths 39 Wests 22
2s Uni Norths 55 Wests 0
Colts Uni Norths 26 Wests 17

Tuggeranong v Easts
1s Tuggeranong 86 Easts 0
2s Tuggeranong 85 Easts 5
Colts Tuggeranong 20 Easts 0

First Division

Royals v Queanbeyan
1s Queanbeyan 42 Royals 27
2s Queanbeyan 21 Royals 7

Uni Norths v Wests
1s Uni Norths 59 Wests 5
2s Wests 22 Uni Norths 15

Tuggeranong v Easts
1s Tuggeranong 86 Easts 15

Young v Cooma
1s Young 21 Cooma 7
2s Young 17 Cooma 14

Gungahlin v Goulburn
1s Gungahlin 22 Goulburn 16
2s Gungahlin 36 Goulburn 10

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Royals 20 - Whites 37

Agree with Istanbul - Whites were abit lack-luster today - saying that they kicked 1 from 8 (I think) - last week they kicked 2 from however many 12,13 - so 3 from 20 odd in the last 2 weeks. Danny Matthews NEEDS to come into the 1st Grade side if simply due to the fact he can kick them from nearly anywhere.

Agree Sok was on fire today!

Whites didn't look good but could of got a 30 point win.

Without a goal kicker they can not win the comp though.

Uni should now leap frog Royals into 4th spot and to be honest I don't think Royals are going to make the 4.

Vikings 86 - Easts 0

Wests 22 - Uni Norths 39

Based on what I saw today Royals would be making up numbers and would bow out in the first week of finals. I would rather see Unis in there have a go. QBN should give the kicking tee to Sok - the dude can do everything else!! He is always keen in attack and hungry around the line but today he was also strong in defence. Two or three times today Royals were looking dangerous in attack and he just shut it down with a big hit. He also ran over the top of Jamie Bodman with a huge fend that saw him have to go off injured. Maybe it was a master stroke putting him in seconds and moving him out of his preferred backrow. He played like a guy with something to prove.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Based on what I saw today Royals would be making up numbers and would bow out in the first week of finals. I would rather see Unis in there have a go. QBN should give the kicking tee to Sok - the dude can do everything else!! He is always keen in attack and hungry around the line but today he was also strong in defence. Two or three times today Royals were looking dangerous in attack and he just shut it down with a big hit. He also ran over the top of Jamie Bodman with a huge fend that saw him have to go off injured. Maybe it was a master stroke putting him in seconds and moving him out of his preferred backrow. He played like a guy with something to prove.

Royals prob have the best "un-predictable" attack in the comp i.e they will attack from anywhere and it could be fantastic or could just be a big flop. It's hard to say who a club would rather play in the finals - from an experience point of view even though I believe Uni's form is currently better I think I'd prefer to play them in the finals.

Sok would of been pump'd up playing against his old side but also playing for a 1st grade spot which he prob hasn't had to do in years. Penca as you mentioned was abit invisible today - but still outplayed the Royals No.7 and Jones is just solid as hell - Mr. Consistent.

Not sure why he didn't play but a guy they (Whites) REALLY missed was Douch at No.9 - they had White playing at 9 who is normally a 10 or 15 and they had Hawke away who I believe is the coach of the ACT Schoolboy side. Douch controls the game alot better and can kick goals aswell - I hope we see him or Matthews in the side next week and leading into the finals because goal kicking is a major issue at the moment.

As mentioned Whites pretty make it look pretty but this year they seem to have a knack at just closing these games out which is a sign of a really good side.

Any reports on any other games?

Saw Vikings had a field day putting 80+ points on Easts in every grade.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Had one eye on Uni-Norths v Wests.

Uni-Norths scored a couple of long range tries but their scrum was dominated by Wests who did well to come back towards the end of the game but Uni-Norths were keeping them at arms length.

Big news was that Joe Tomane got injured in his comeback game on the same knee that was operated on and limped off in the second half and was on crutches following the game.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Had one eye on Uni-Norths v Wests.

Uni-Norths scored a couple of long range tries but their scrum was dominated by Wests who did well to come back towards the end of the game but Uni-Norths were keeping them at arms length.

Big news was that Joe Tomane got injured in his comeback game on the same knee that was operated on and limped off in the second half and was on crutches following the game.

Thanks for the update!

Not good news for Tomane at all.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 16 -

Easts V Royals - @Griffith

Eagles V Wests - @Gungahlin

Whites V Uni - @Campese

Vikings - BYE

Only 2 more Rounds left - have no idea where this season has gone - only feels like last week when Royals were winning the GF.

Looks like Vikings have wrapped up the minor premiership and it looks like possibly Uni will sneak into the top 4 (waiting for the ladder to be updated).

Again insane how fast this season has gone - last game of the year at Campese this Saturday so you would expect a big crowd.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Round 16 -

Whites V Uni - @Campese

Vikings - BYE

Only 2 more Rounds left - have no idea where this season has gone - only feels like last week when Royals were winning the GF.

Looks like Vikings have wrapped up the minor premiership and it looks like possibly Uni will sneak into the top 4 (waiting for the ladder to be updated).

Again insane how fast this season has gone - last game of the year at Campese this Saturday so you would expect a big crowd.

Who do Royals and Uni play in the last round? You would expect QBN should beat Uni by more than 7 this week and that Royals should get a bonus point against East (although nothing would surprise me the way Royals played on Sat). If QBN and Royals both win well this week then it is Royals 4th and Unis 5th headed into the final round. Who do they each play?

I suspect whoever gets through will be making up numbers in the finals this year but a sign of a good healthy interesting comp all the same that it is competitive for places till the final round.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn't get a chance to head down to Erindale this weekend. I had a couple
Of things po up last minute.

Having a look at the scores makes me pretty sad. It's a real shame to see easts struggling so much. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the players.

I thought they were making some really positive steps forward earlier in the year.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Who do Royals and Uni play in the last round? You would expect QBN should beat Uni by more than 7 this week and that Royals should get a bonus point against East (although nothing would surprise me the way Royals played on Sat). If QBN and Royals both win well this week then it is Royals 4th and Unis 5th headed into the final round. Who do they each play?

I suspect whoever gets through will be making up numbers in the finals this year but a sign of a good healthy interesting comp all the same that it is competitive for places till the final round.

Uni's Last Two Games -

- Whites
- Eagles

Royals Last Two Games -

- Easts
- Vikings

Uni has now overtaken Royals at 4th place - the Ladder looks like so -

Tuggeranong - 64
Whites - 59
Eagles - 53
Uni Norths - 41
Royals - 40
Wests - 27
Easts - 16

Royals have the "easier" draw I guess - with a easy win over Easts (prob a bonus point win) and then more than likely a loss V's Vikings - but then Uni have Whites who have gone close to beating twice this year and then Eagles who they have been close with aswell.

If Uni can sneak a win V's Whites or Eagles and stay close in the other game they will make it through.

It's a tough one to call.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I didn't get a chance to head down to Erindale this weekend. I had a couple
Of things po up last minute.

Having a look at the scores makes me pretty sad. It's a real shame to see easts struggling so much. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the players.

I thought they were making some really positive steps forward earlier in the year.

They seemed to be making some good positive steps forward at the start of the year - signing some "good" players, getting a colts side together, linking up with RMC etc but they have ended up (to now) having a worse season than last year results wise.

They play (as mentioned above) Royals this round - but then play Wests in the final round - they will treat that like a Grand Final - doing as much as possible to get a win (you would hope).

The final round game for Easts V's Wests - will be the perfect sign where these clubs want to go next year - if they concede defeat either side then its not a good sign leading into next year.

I don't know what the answer is for Easts - and how long do you (Brumbies/ACTRU) leave a side to struggle and are there to simply make up the numbers? - not saying ACTRU/Brumbies should help Easts I just don't know who else would. Do they try and find some investors to pump some cash into the club so they can offer some good game payments? Should they be going to Grammar and Eddies 1st XV games and inviting players down to training - giving them free gym memberships, supplement vouchers etc?

If a side never gets better - what do you do?

They are in a situation now where they can not win a game, but are needing players to come play for them but not winning makes players not want to join the club - so it is a very negative cycle.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
They seemed to be making some good positive steps forward at the start of the year - signing some "good" players, getting a colts side together, linking up with RMC etc but they have ended up (to now) having a worse season than last year results wise.

They play (as mentioned above) Royals this round - but then play Wests in the final round - they will treat that like a Grand Final - doing as much as possible to get a win (you would hope).

The final round game for Easts V's Wests - will be the perfect sign where these clubs want to go next year - if they concede defeat either side then its not a good sign leading into next year.

I don't know what the answer is for Easts - and how long do you (Brumbies/ACTRU) leave a side to struggle and are there to simply make up the numbers? - not saying ACTRU/Brumbies should help Easts I just don't know who else would. Do they try and find some investors to pump some cash into the club so they can offer some good game payments? Should they be going to Grammar and Eddies 1st XV games and inviting players down to training - giving them free gym memberships, supplement vouchers etc?

If a side never gets better - what do you do?

They are in a situation now where they can not win a game, but are needing players to come play for them but not winning makes players not want to join the club - so it is a very negative cycle.

I think we all agree the JID would be a pretty average comp if it only had 6 teams. In a perfect world we would have 8 - 10 teams but that's not happening! To keep it at the current 7 teams we need Easts there as I don't see a viable alternative. I think we also all feel uncomfortable having a team there year in and year out filling the role of whipping boys. I think John Ross and the Able boys have done great things but it is bloody hard starting from such a low base. How do you build any momentum when the results just aren't there? How will next year be any different?? I just think there needs to be an acceptance amongst all clubs that the Brumbies and ACTRU needs to adopt a totally bias attitude that favours Easts in respect to any practical decision being made. The lions share of brumby allocations need to go there even if stronger clubs miss out. If it is possible to provide admin assistance or any other leg up it should happen. The aim should be to prop Easts up until success happens. Success breads success and when the results start to come the recruitment will naturally start to happen a bit easier along with sponsors etc.

Is there an option? Does anyone really believe Easts can dig themselves out of this hole by themselves?

You have to hand it to Easts - it takes a lot of club spirit and resilience to go through some of the recent seasons that club has endured and still keep turning out. I wouldn't blame them if they folded but they have stuck solid. It's about time the rest of the comp agreed to help them out a bit.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think we all agree the JID would be a pretty average comp if it only had 6 teams. In a perfect world we would have 8 - 10 teams but that's not happening! To keep it at the current 7 teams we need Easts there as I don't see a viable alternative. I think we also all feel uncomfortable having a team there year in and year out filling the role of whipping boys. I think John Ross and the Able boys have done great things but it is bloody hard starting from such a low base. How do you build any momentum when the results just aren't there? How will next year be any different?? I just think there needs to be an acceptance amongst all clubs that the Brumbies and ACTRU needs to adopt a totally bias attitude that favours Easts in respect to any practical decision being made. The lions share of brumby allocations need to go there even if stronger clubs miss out. If it is possible to provide admin assistance or any other leg up it should happen. The aim should be to prop Easts up until success happens. Success breads success and when the results start to come the recruitment will naturally start to happen a bit easier along with sponsors etc.

Is there an option? Does anyone really believe Easts can dig themselves out of this hole by themselves?

You have to hand it to Easts - it takes a lot of club spirit and resilience to go through some of the recent seasons that club has endured and still keep turning out. I wouldn't blame them if they folded but they have stuck solid. It's about time the rest of the comp agreed to help them out a bit.

Yea true mate - totally agree with all comments.

I don't mind seeing a large number of Brumbies players going to Easts - of course it will really only make an impact a few times of the year for the higher guys - but players like Anae, Wells, Abel etc who prob wont make the starting 23 (unless injuries) - wouldn't mind seeing all those style of players go to Easts.

Next year will be interesting to see what turn over of players they have again - i.e the Abel brothers, there italian import etc

I would really like to know if they are trying to get into Grammar or Eddies much to try and poach some players.

Re the Brumbies could they go as far to assign the Brumbies Academy players (right out of Grammar/Eddies or currently in 1st XV) to Easts? - Or at least officially invite them to join Easts - start going to 1st Grade training, gym sessions etc and get some of the Brumbies players to rock up etc.

See what happens. . . . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Predictions for this weekend -

Royals I think will be out to prove something as they try and get back into the Top 4 - I believe there would be alot of talk around being GF winners last year and not wanting to not make the finals this year - not a good look for the club if they don't make the finals this year - Royals by 40

Eagles will I believe start to get into finals mode and prob start to structure their last 2 games like they are playing semi-finals to build as much momentum leading into the finals in acouple of weeks - Eagles by 15

Whites V Uni - @Campese

Uni will be pump'd up for this game as they are now in the 4 and will want to stay there - I think they will have Whites on the ropes for the 1st 60 and then Whites may get a sneak try or 2 to lock the game up - Whites by 6

Vikings - BYE

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)

I expect Royals will get the W for the first time since I can remember and will really require the bonus point in the battle for fourth spot. Unfortunately Easts are a mess and will be looking to build something for next year but this will not be their week. - Royals by 28

Eagles will be too strong for a Wests team with little to play for. It will be a tough game in the forwards until the half time break, but the Gungahlin side will throw it around and blow them off the park in the second forty. - Eagles by 21

Whites V Uni - @Campese

Uni will be looking to keep there spot in the four and Whities have second spot locked up. even though winning form is good form the last thing Qtown need at this stage of the comp is injuries. They will not throw this game but the result will be less important that maintaining match fitness. - Uni by 3 - Not a bonus point so they will finish this round equal on points with royal to make their game against Dara a cracker next week.

Vikings - BYE and a rest after scoring about 150 points in 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.