• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Haha - yea I know what you mean mate - I guess I meant they have won every other game and lost a game from a reffing mistake - i.e they were not outplayed.

In some way I was sort of hoping that Uni would kick that goal at the death to win the game to put some more fire in the belly - but one thing that was noticeable is that a number of times they were saying on field we are going to face times like this in the final - so they are a smart side that is thinking about these things - which is good to see.

It's hard to say who will get the most out of the Brumbies coming back, Vikings maybe? but really who will they get back? The John I Dent Grand Final is a week before the 1st Wallabies Test so the Wallabies wont be there. It might possibly only be Butler, Ah Wong, Powell, the young no.12 who is playing with them now anyway - they are great players but not the difference between 2nd grand winning a grand final with the players moving down or 1st's winning.

Les Makin, Coleman, Wells, the other outside back - can't think of his name - for the Whites.

The Whites players have played more John I Dent this year so possibly giving them the edge?

Going to be a total cracker in 2 weeks time. . Vikings V Whites - Major semi-final.

Yeah tend to agree with you No8. Whites will certainly have the edge in the forwards as whoever gets pushed to 2nds will just make an already good pack better. While Butler will certainly help tuggers top side, whoever drops down does not appear to have the same impact.

Vikings 2nd grade backline however, will definitely have the edge on Whites with a near 1st grade backline of Bowden, Ravouvou, Giltrap and Fanifo as well as guys like Murray who has a few runs in the top grade.
Would suggest that whites pigs and Vikings backs together would make a pretty decent 1st grade side.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah tend to agree with you No8. Whites will certainly have the edge in the forwards as whoever gets pushed to 2nds will just make an already good pack better. While Butler will certainly help tuggers top side, whoever drops down does not appear to have the same impact.

Vikings 2nd grade backline however, will definitely have the edge on Whites with a near 1st grade backline of Bowden, Ravouvou, Giltrap and Fanifo as well as guys like Murray who has a few runs in the top grade.
Would suggest that whites pigs and Vikings backs together would make a pretty decent 1st grade side.

Yea mate together they could prob form a side that would crack the top 4 in the 1st grade.

Very interested to see what happens with 2nd grade - lets see if Whites can go all the way. . . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 17 - LAST ROUND!

The last round has ended up where we will have cracking games across the board - you have Royals and Uni fighting for a finals spot, you have Wests and Easts wanting to gain from pride and hopefully set their 2017 season off on a positive note and you have Tuggers who if they lost and scored less than 4 tries would see themselves on equal points with Whites (I believe).

Royals V Tuggers @Phillip

Must win game for Royals to make sure they make the finals - or I believe if they could get a bonus point loss - they could still sneak in with a better for and against - from very quickly looking at it.

If Vikings did drop this game and scored less than 4 tries then, they and Queanbeyan I believe would be on 68 points each but Vikings wrapping up the minor premiership again due to better for and against.

Vikings by 6

Uni North V Gungahlin @ANU

Again a must win game for Uni - they are 3 points behind Royals at the moment - to be safe you would want to aim for a bonus point win but the Eagles are a tough tough side so getting the bonus could be harder said than done.

Uni by 4

Wests V Easts @Jamison

Both teams will be pump'd up for this game - it is basically their grandfinal - Easts between the 2 sides should be wanting this win more than anything - so I hope they come out totally firing. Do I believe they can get the win - maybe but I just think Wests forwards will be too much for this Easts side.

Wests by 12

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also saw yesterday that Tyrel Lomax from the Vikings has signed a 2 year contract with the Melbourne Rebels -

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rebels...vbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEwNDNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Great news for Tyrel who I believe is one of the best young rugby talents in Australian Rugby at the moment.

I know Vikings would be extremely pleased for him but their front row stocks are very low now - they would have to be doing some recruiting for next season - this has been one of their weakest areas this year. I know they have some good upcoming Colts guys but they may not be ready for Full-Time 1st Grade game time.

Touching on the front row for Vikings Michael Henry and Sione - What are peoples thoughts on how these 2 have performed this year? Been Vikings for a long time now and been a rock in the front row - is this still the case?

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
Touching on the front row for Vikings Michael Henry and Sione - What are peoples thoughts on how these 2 have performed this year? Been Vikings for a long time now and been a rock in the front row - is this still the case?

From an outsiders perspective I think it's pretty obvious Henry has struggled a little bit this year without Brad Harris there to nurture and guide him.

Something Royals might look to target this weekend?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also saw yesterday that Tyrel Lomax from the Vikings has signed a 2 year contract with the Melbourne Rebels -

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rebels-lure-lomax-away-brumbies-052755937.html;_ylt=AwrSbmK3mo5X3wkAFG8L5gt.;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNGJxN2RuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEwNDNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Great news for Tyrel who I believe is one of the best young rugby talents in Australian Rugby at the moment.

I know Vikings would be extremely pleased for him but their front row stocks are very low now - they would have to be doing some recruiting for next season - this has been one of their weakest areas this year. I know they have some good upcoming Colts guys but they may not be ready for Full-Time 1st Grade game time.

Good on him. The Rebels appear to be really good at trusting in the youngsters. Reckon the Brumbs would be hesitant to give Tyrel any games for a year or so whereas the Rebs will no doubt give him a bit of bench time next year

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rebels...vbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjEwNDNfMQRzZWMDc2M-

From what I understand there's going to be a bit of an exodus at the end of the year. Not just in the front row but in general.

Looking at the scrum as an outsider it's more of a reflection of the coaching staff. The team hasn't changed all that much and the individuals in the pack have all shown an ability to scrummage last year and in some cases in the NRC (Taula, McGrath etc).

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Lomax will be a big loss going forward both for the Vikings and Brumbies. But it's awesome to see a local lad pick up a contract.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone know the status of the games tomorrow? All grounds are being reported as closed.

Ouch. what happens in the event games are cancelled

Looks like there has been some changes to game locations/game times but mainly in lower grades from what I can see -

Phillip Oval
3.05pm – Royals v Tuggeranong, Premier Division 1st Grade (Field 1)
· Tuggeranong playing for Minor Premiership, Royals playing for top four finish
· Match to be filmed by ascension sports
1.40pm – Royals v Tuggeranong, Premier Division 2nd Grade (Field 1)
· Tuggeranong playing for a top 2 finish, Royals playing for a top four finish
1.35pm – Royals v Tuggeranong, Women’s Division (Field 2)
· Tuggeranong playing for a minor premiership, Royals playing for a top 2 finish

Viking Park
10.30am – Royals v Tuggeranong 1st Division 2nd Grade (Field 2)
· Tuggeranong playing for a Minor Premiership, Royals play for a top four finish
11.50am – Royals v Tuggeranong 1st Division 1st Grade (Field 2)
· Tuggeranong playing for a top four finish
1.10pm – Royals v Tuggeranong, Premier Division Colts (Field)

ANU North Oval
3.05pm – Uni Norths v Gungahlin, Premier Division 1st Grade (Field 1) – TBC by ANU Sport
· Uni Norths playing for a top four finish & Match of the round
1.40pm – Uni Norths v Gungahlin, Premier Division 2nd Grade (Field 1) – TBC by ANU Sport
· Gungahlin playing for a top 2 finish and Uni Norths playing for a top four finish
1.35pm – Uni Norths v Gungahlin, Women’s Division (Field 2) – TBC by ANU Sport
· Uni Norths play for a top 2 finish
12.15pm – Uni Norths v Gungahlin, 1st Division 1st Grade (Field 2) – TBC by ANU Sport
· Gungahlin playing for a minor premiership, Uni Norths playing for a top 4 finish
*Note – Colts and 1st Division 2nd grade games will not go ahead

Jamison Oval
3.05pm – Wests v Easts, Premier Division 1st Grade
*Note – 1st Division 1st Grade, 1st Division 2nd Grade, Colts & Premier Division 2nd Grade will not go ahead

All other regional venues, Goulburn (Goulburn v Hall), Young, (Young v ADFA) & Cooma (Cooma v Queanbeyan) fixtures are going ahead as per scheduled. All of those fixtures have significant bearing on ladder positioning for the finals in particular (Goulburn v Hall 1st Div 1st Grade, Cooma v Queanbeyan 1st Div 1st Grade & Young v ADFA 1st Div 2nd grade).

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From what I understand there's going to be a bit of an exodus at the end of the year. Not just in the front row but in general.

Looking at the scrum as an outsider it's more of a reflection of the coaching staff. The team hasn't changed all that much and the individuals in the pack have all shown an ability to scrummage last year and in some cases in the NRC (Taula, McGrath etc).

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Lomax will be a big loss going forward both for the Vikings and Brumbies. But it's awesome to see a local lad pick up a contract.

Very interesting - will be keen to see what happens next year. Can't believe it is already the last round already - just crazy.

Yep great for Lomax and I think the Rebels setup at the moment is one of the best in the country - I question the Brumbies development programs/systems at the moment and even though they made the finals I think over the next 2-3 years we could see them start to slide towards the bottom of the aussie conference.

Reactions: mst

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Where has Tyson Tamihere gone? Is he injured or has he returned to NZ? Royals don't look the same team without him.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Where has Tyson Tamihere gone? Is he injured or has he returned to NZ? Royals don't look the same team without him.

Not sure where he is mate - possibly injured - maybe hung up the boots after the GF - I know its not old but he would be what 27-28?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just saw that Seilala Lam was capped for Samoa in the June Internationals -

http://www.samoaobserver.ws/en/01_06_2016/sport/6902/Family-passion-and-blue-jersey.htm

I know he had a stint with the Canberra Vikings 2 years ago after leaving Sydney - and to be honest didn't really look fit/ready to go for the NRC - but I still believe Jack Lam and Seilala Lam are 2 of the biggest losses for ACT Rugby in the last decade - poor development, poor pathways I think hurt their careers - even though Jack has been very successful I don't really believe it was on the back of the support he got through his junior/colts career in the ACT.

Maybe one day we will see them playing in the Whites jersey again - A. Fainga'a, S. Fainga'a, S. Lam and J. Lam - now that would be cool to see all on the same field. . . . . maybe chuck in Matt Giteau in there while your at it haha

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
FT so far:

Gungahlin with 14 men (down to 13 at one stage) with a late try to beat Uni-Norths 31-26
Royals beat Vikings 30-28
Wests 25 beat Easts 22

Status
Not open for further replies.