• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which part? Automatic week ban or needing to go to judiciary aswell?

I remember when I got a red card once I got automatic 1 week ban then needed to go to judiciary (ACTRU) - 1 week ended up being 3.

Would really like to see Pato play - looks like he has had an up and down season with injury/s.

Which club did you used to run around for lad?

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which part? Automatic week ban or needing to go to judiciary aswell?

I remember when I got a red card once I got automatic 1 week ban then needed to go to judiciary (ACTRU) - 1 week ended up being 3.

Might have been the case in under 14s but in senior rugby you can get let off without serving any suspension.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Has anyone seen the Royals colts play? I have noticed they are the only undefeated team in the entire competition!

Have only seen them in the 1st round against Tuggers. As I mentioned in the thread at that time, Royals were a class above particularly in the 1st half. I suggested then that they would have to be favourites

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Might have been the case in under 14s but in senior rugby you can get let off without serving any suspension.

Didn't Giltrap from Vikings get red carded against Easts? He was playing the next week so there cant be an automatic ban. Any Tuggers readers know the details?

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
Has anyone seen the Royals colts play? I have noticed they are the only undefeated team in the entire competition!

I've followed that royals colts side quite closely and although they are doing well, I believe that they are just the best of what is a really poor colts competition.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the Vikings site;

Five Teams In

Saturday, saw Vikings play arch-rivals Royals in the last round of play before finals begin this Saturday 30 July at Viking Park. Due to poor weather conditions leading up to the day, the games were split between Phillip Oval and Viking Park. Colts and 1st Division played early at Viking Park with the key match-ups between the Women, and Premier 1st and 2nd Grade held at Phillip Oval. Both 1st Division teams finished their seasons on a high with convincing wins as did the Women and Premier 2nd Grade. Colts and Premier 1st grade didn’t fair so well in their lead up to finals.
Three Vikings teams clinched Minor Premierships, and all five teams heading into finals will play in the Major Semi Final on Saturday at Viking Park. 1st Division 2nd Grade and Premier 1st Grade won minor premierships again, and the Women earned their first Minor Premiership since 2010.

1st Division 2nd Grade
Vikings took the field earlier than expected with a 10.30 am kickoff at Viking Park on a crisp and damp morning in Wanniassa. The team needed a win and the bonus point to clinch the Minor Premiership as Wests tooks on ADFA for double points. Unaware the Wests game had been called off, the boys came out firing. Richard Joyes crossed the line three times and Ryan Slater two times as they lead the team to a solid 48-14 victory.
Vikings head into Finals at Viking Park with only one loss this season to Wests, and the confidence to change the outcome of last year’s Grand Final. 1st Division 1st Grade kicks off at 9.40am on VP2, Saturday in the Major Semi Final.
MDP-Vikings-36-A38I0205-1024x682.jpg

1st Division 1st Grade
This was the team that need the most luck on the day. They were four points out and needed a bonus point victory and losses by Queanbeyan and Uni Norths to squeak into finals. The seesaw battle saw the Vikings start out strong, but give the lead back to Royals midway through the 1st half. The defence picked up with some hard hits from Carlos Amar and great team work which kept them in the game. The 2nd half saw the Vikings pull away and grab the victory they so desperately needed. Lix Lealiifano scored two tries, and Matt Wafer, Siope Naeata, and Nathan King each added a try for a 33-17 win.
It was clear at this time that Uni Norths was going to lose their game, but news later in the day from Cooma wasn’t as good. Queanbeyan had defeated Cooma to claim the last spot in the finals for 1st Division 1st Grade. The boys had a great season that didn’t start out how they had hoped. The season finished on a high with four strong victories, and gives optimism for the 2017 season.
MDP-Vikings-49-A38I0440-1024x682.jpg

Women
The ViQueens headed to Phillip Oval for the afternoon match looking for the Minor Premiership. Leading Royals by four points on the ladder going into the game, ViQueens only needed a victory to secure the top spot. From the kickoff anyone watching could see the ViQueens were the better team, holding possession for most of the first half and playing stellar defence when required. The end of the 1st half saw the ViQueens leading Royals 10-0. The second half saw more of the same with dominant play by the ViQueens and another try tallied to the score for a 15-0 lead.
With 20 minutes remaining in the game ViQueens leader Michelle Milward went down with what looked to be a severe leg injury. The game was ended as an ambulance was called to take Milward across the street to Canberra hospital. With the win the ViQueens grabbed the Minor Premiership and pushed Royals down to the third spot on the ladder as Uni Norths defeat Gungahlin in a bonus point win. Peta Leddy was named the Players Player and the Canberra Elite Player of the Round.
ViQueens take on Uni Norths Owls on Saturday at 1.10pm on VP2.
MDP-Vikings-05-A38I0301-1024x682.jpg

Premier Colts
Royals and Vikings met for a game that didn’t matter much at Viking Park. Both teams were looking to get some game time in with byes and forfeits by East in the last few weeks. The ladder had already been decided with Royals winning the Minor Premiership and Vikings finishing second. These two teams will be battling again Saturday at Viking Park from 11.50am on VP1, so neither team wanted to show their cards this week.
It was a calm game with Royals bolting out to a two try lead and Vikings answering later in the half. Vikings couldn’t dig themselves out of the early hole and dropped their final game of the regular season. The game ended with a 31-22 Royals victory, but the Vikings getting an up close look at their opponents for the Major Semi Final on Saturday.
MDP-Vikings-29-A38I0573-1024x682.jpg

Premier 2nd Grade
Vikings 2nd grade returned from the bye weekend having previously been in good form and were keen to finish the season strongly leading into semi-finals. The extra incentive was the outside chance that the side could return to second place and have the double chance in the finals, with a win and Uni Norths defeating Gungahlin.
The match started poorly for Vikings with an energetic Royals side led by Craig McMahon taking an early penalty and a try after great try line pressure to lead 10-0.
Vikings had plenty of the ball and eventually the Royals line was cracked with a great scoot from Blake Henman sending Dan Blackmore crashing over. McMahon again stamped himself on the game for Royals with his second try following a chip and chase and Royals deservedly led at halftime 15-7.
The boys came out firing in the second half with deserved team tries to Travis Pula and Damien Gubler from close range getting Vikings in front 17-15. More pressure on the Royals line resulted in Henman crashing over for the bonus point, with the conversion Vikings had breathing space at 24-15. Vikings had enjoyed an excellent second half combined with Uni Norths close win on the other side of town, sent Vikings back to second position and into a Major Semi Final with Queanbeyan Whites this Saturday at Viking Park from 1.30pm on VP1.
MDP-Vikings-152-A38I1370-1024x682.jpg

Premier 1st Grade
by Keiran Deck​
Two penalty kicks proved the difference as Royals held-on for a 30-28 victory over Vikings in the final round of regular competition.
On a cold and windy day at Philip Oval, Vikings had to avoid a bonus point defeat to concede the minor Premiership.
Meanwhile, Royals were playing for their spot in the finals series. A run of recent losses meant Uni-Norths Owls were in striking distance for the last finals spot.
For the Owls to snatch the position, they had to defeat Gungahlin in a game played at the same time at ANU North Oval, and Royals had to lose this game.
Heavy rain had fallen in the days leading up to the game and Brumbies had to ask ACT ground carers for special consideration. The match was allowed to go ahead because of its bearing on the finals.
Vikings had the first attacking opportunity but Royals’ defence repelled the attempted rolling maul, leading to a passage of broken play.
Royals would score first. They took a quick lineout on the right side of the field, opening up a channel for Jason Swain to cross in the first five minutes.
Another lineout error lead to Vikings’ first points minutes later. Vikings scrumhalf Ryne Bowden sniped the line around the ruck after Royals’ restart was crooked. Isaac Thompson added the extras and Vikings had the lead 7-5.
Royals’ strong defence rebounded several Vikings attacks and it soon paid off for the home side. Winger Seth Going sliding around Tuggeranong’s defence.
Royals added another three on half time to take a 13-7 lead into the break.
Vikings looked fresh in the second half. Jake Rakic made a break up the left side, linking with Jake Knight who snaked his way under the posts.
The Vikings converted the momentum into another seven points as Jackson-Hope made a break on halfway. 21-13.
Another ten minutes of scoreless rugby followed before Pedro Rolando narrowed the gap off a penalty for the hosts.
Brumby Tom Staniforth backed up after the previous night’s Super Rugby final to make an impact in the second half for Royals. A run at the line opened a gap for Ben Johnston to score and Royals regained the lead, 23-21.
Royals had wrestled back the momentum and they backed themselves from a set-piece on half way where Steve Sione scored on the left wing. Rolando added the extras and the Vikings had a nine-point difference to negotiate.
Tuggeranong capitalised on good field position with 10-minutes to go, Dean Oakman-Hunt nearly taking out a goal post reaching for the chalk. But the try was too little too late.
The home side held on in the final minutes to retain the two-point lead and their sport in the final four.
Vikings host Queanbeyan Whites on Saturday in the major semi-final. The winner will go straight to the Grand Final, while the other team will play the victor between Royals and Gungahlin in the minor semi-final.
Vikings
Tries – R. Bowden, J. Knight, J. Jackson-Hope, D. Oakman-Hunt
Cons – I. Thompson 4
Royals
Tries – J. Swain, S. Going, B. Johnston, S. Sione
Cons – P. Rolando 2
Pens – P. Rolando 2

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Alright what are we thinking this weekend guys?

Major Semi-Final - Vikings V Queanbeyan -

This is a classic game - between two massive rivals - the Whites generally step into another gear when they are playing at Viking Park - combine that with some Brumbies players they may get back and a good final game win of the season V's Uni giving them some more confidence - I believe the Whites will edge the Vikings out.

Whites by 3

Minor Semi-Final - Eagles V Royals -

Eagles have had one of their best seasons for a number of years this year - beating all the top sides - but I think Royals after last weeks win and now having some experience at finals time will be too strong for the Gunners boys.

Royals by 8

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Week 1 of the Finals - Stampede -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.ne...09/Stampede-Round-18_website-final.pdf?836015

Only Brumbies player back for Vikings is Powell - Whites have got Coleman and Makin.

No Wells for Whites - I don't believe we will see him again due to him moving on from the Brumbies.

No Butler or Ah Wong listed for Vikings - again never trust the stampede - but these guys may now be on holiday after a full season with the Brumbies.

Whites have gone with dropping Leaper to 2nd grade - and going with Tai, Jones, Penca, Noa in 5,6,7,8.

Dargaville comes onto the Left Wing for the Gunnners side and Taliauli on the right wing for Royals.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Alright what are we thinking this weekend guys?

Major Semi-Final - Vikings V Queanbeyan -

This is a classic game - between two massive rivals - the Whites generally step into another gear when they are playing at Viking Park - combine that with some Brumbies players they may get back and a good final game win of the season V's Uni giving them some more confidence - I believe the Whites will edge the Vikings out.

Whites by 3

Minor Semi-Final - Eagles V Royals -

Eagles have had one of their best seasons for a number of years this year - beating all the top sides - but I think Royals after last weeks win and now having some experience at finals time will be too strong for the Gunners boys.

Royals by 8

My 10c worth...

Major Semi-Final -

1st grade: Vikings by 3
2nd grade: Vikings by 7
colts: Royals by 11

Minor Semi-Final -

1st grade: Gungahlin by 2
2nd grade: Gungahlin by 3

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Premier division
1st grade
Tuggeranong 30 Queanbeyan 22
2nd grade
Queanbeyan 23 Tuggeranong 16
Colts
Royals 31 Tuggeranong 5
First division
1st grade
Gungahlin 68 Hall 12
2nd grade
Tuggeranong 17 Wests 0
Women's division major semi final
Tuggeranong 20 Uni Norths 17
Women's division minor semi final
Royals 55 Gungahlin 5

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Too good to not share;
2017 Awaits. 70 Years Since the Last Flag. Stories Are Made From This!!
Easts Old Boys,
Season 2016 is over and our club won zero 1st grade games. Sounds like a shut up shop, draw a line, close the door, lock it up moment. But how about if I were to tell you that the club is a far superior one to that of 12 months ago? How about that the last game was a 25 -22 loss to Wests in terrible conditions, on their 'Old Boys Day' out there at Jamison? A season defining game where our boys dished it up, played tough, but a couple of mistakes meant we didn't finish in front at the finish. Johnny Ross was cool, calm, and collected when he spoke to the boys at game's end and said that the game was a microcosm of our season. John is the best thing that has ever happened to Easts and repayment time is coming!! Also there were more Easts family there than Westies on their 'Old Boys Day'!! It was a telling moment when the victorious Wests went into their sheds at their home ground and sang their song whilst all the Easts family gathered on their turf for a season ending photo. It was a photo not of resignation, but one of deep resolve. For me it was as if the bird had finally flown free of its cage and that our time is rapidly approaching. I actually felt some remorse for Westies because it seemed that, though we'd lost, we all could see the baton changing hands. Make no mistake, I wanted to sing our club song on the Jamo ground but that would have been disrespectful and I've made enough mistakes this year!!

Speaking of which, the young 1st grade ref, Brodie Ingram, had an excellent game in really difficult conditions. The ref society have a crop of good young people moving through the ranks and we all have rugby at heart and Easts will continue to support them anyway we can. Speaking of which, the refs presentation night is 6 August at the Press Club in Barton and Nye Konig is the contact. I can't go but it would be super to have Easts reps there to .support the refs on their night.
Ok, I have to mention that Robbie 'The Power' Abel scored 2 tries against the Lions and could have had 3 more (imagine a hooker scoring 5 tries!!). In a strong display, our boys came, oh so close, to winning in a match that was hard, fair, and competitive to the last. JP Pretorious (Jeeps, Jepper) was outstanding in the 12 jumper and was surrounded by blokes who stood tall all day. I was so proud to watch our boys continually throw themselves into the fray, and whilst away, did not know that big Gav McMullan and Alex Eglitis ran on in 1st grade and were outstanding. George X, Salad, Young Trev, Keg, MG, Ash, (21 weeks (and counting) also there with Darce to support), Gus, and the mercurial JD proudly strutted our stuff on the cold wind swept Jamo. Big Charlie Abel was a powerhouse and was unlucky to turtle a hurtling West player destined to score late in the game and Brodes had no choice but to send Charlie on his way. To Wests credit, there was no 'push and shove', it was an accident and treated as such. Charlie received a week's suspension and was treated very fairly by the judiciary. Our Charlie is off to France to play in the off season and we will be getting regular updates of how he's going. As an aside, our very own Jacob Abel is proving a massive hit over on the North Island and we all hope he continues to wow them!!
Rossy (Super Coach) along with Damo, Dave M, Dan (the man), Tim, Sparks, have all been the difference in keeping our club focused on what it takes to build a culture we can all be proud of. A magnificent set of people including Brooke and Lou, , MG, Pilko, Gunth, Arch, Stan, and the (real) old boys, Davey Galvin, Mark Toohey, Physio Rob, who all love our club, operate behind the scenes to keep it chugging along.
But if there was any better reason to approach 2017 with confidence and a steely determination after everything that we've all been through to get to this point, other than not letting Debbie Wauchop down, then I can't think of any. Above all, Debbie has been the spark that has kept things going and one that has us all drenched in Red, White, and Blue. Thank you will never be enough!!
A massive presentation night is scheduled for the 20th of August (5:00pm start, all over to watch the Bledisloe Cup game at Harmonie German Club and a big EOB contingent would be fabulous. I have more news about my trip away and the recruitment angle, but maybe I'll leave the exciting bits for a bit later!!
Red, White, and Blue
GD

13697038_1766030393641844_8236244619984300778_n.jpg

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any match reports?

Honestly not much to report from 1st Grade - Vikings simply outplayed the Whites. The Whites looked a little nervous and did not execute their decision making well at times.

In different parts of the game the Whites were all over the Vikings but just don't draw many points from these chances.

Did not have the spark as the last times the two sides played at Queanbeyan but as mentioned Vikings simply outplayed the Whites/better decision making.

Watched part of the 2nd's - Vikings really took it to the Whites and again the Whites looked a little nervous - but they are such a solid side - will be hard to beat in acouple of weeks - I would expect them to be playing the Vikings again. . . . .

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations Easties on a gutsy season! There seems to be some strong leadership in the club and fast growing healthy culture. I hope 2017 brings more success - can you imagine the party when they do win one after 70 odd years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.