• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi guys,

I'm the community rugby media inter this season at the Brumbies and I'll be covering the John I Dent Cup this season. I've written the review for the round 1 fixtures and after round 1 I really like the looks of winger Angus Le Lievre and fullback Mitch Douch for the whites and I'm a big fan of colts graduate Cameron Holt for the Vikings. Easts look more improved this season, wests were gutsy in defeat and tough to break down, Vikings always look good and Queanbeyan looked the goods but they need to play for the full 80.

Welcome mate. Great initiative to have someone like yourself come and sit on the hill with us common folk and get our perspective on the game we all love.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wests vs Easts is this weeks Hahn's Super Dry match of the week which will be streamed live and exclusive with brumbies site providing a link to the stream.

Hey mate!

Awesome to have you on board - I have always been interested in local sports writing in particular the John I Dent - so will defiantly be following your weekly wrap-ups.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Eagles 28 - Whites 23

Weird game today - abit all over the place - VERY much like last years game (possibly same round) - same ground.

Whites looked good in patches but didn't have enough strike power/consistency to finish the Eagles. They NEED to sort their scrum out ASAP - really struggling.

Eagles played some "smart" rugby - maybe not all very ethical (watching too much ProD2 Rugby from France) - they could make abit of an impact this year - they have some great backs and some solid forwards.

Whites really need to go back to the drawing board - take a step back and really re-group for the Vikings game in a couple of weeks.

The club didn't win one game today.

Anyone go to the Royals V's Uni game? Royals really good or Uni really bad?

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
1st: Royals 76 Uni Norths 12
2nds: Royals 22 Uni Norths 20
Colts: Uni Norths 31 Royals 0
3rd: Cooma 38 Uni Norths 7
4th: Uni Norths 38 Cooma 7
Women's: Royals 26 Uni Norths 22

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Any reports from Royals v Uni? Sounded like Royals had a good number of fringe Brumbies in the line up but that is still a fair flogging! Hopefully for uni it was just a false start to the season and not a sign of things to come.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Any reports from Royals v Uni? Sounded like Royals had a good number of fringe Brumbies in the line up but that is still a fair flogging! Hopefully for uni it was just a false start to the season and not a sign of things to come.

BIg difference for me was the support play for the blue baggers every time they hit the line there was someone there to receive a pop or clean out, very impressive to watch

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

My first observation of the ACT club comp.
Royals seemed to have a plan, everyone knew what it was and they stuck to it. Very good hands.
One negative - they broke Uni in the first 20 and then went to sleep - unfortunately at half time I suspect the coach gave them a spray and they came out and played for most of the rest of the game.
MOTM for me was the Royals 7.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
My first observation of the ACT club comp.
Royals seemed to have a plan, everyone knew what it was and they stuck to it. Very good hands.
One negative - they broke Uni in the first 20 and then went to sleep - unfortunately at half time I suspect the coach gave them a spray and they came out and played for most of the rest of the game.
MOTM for me was the Royals 7.

That sounds promising for the blue bags. I can't imagine anyone would tip Tuggies missing the final four but it sounds like there will be some good competition for the other three spots. The comp will be all the better with a strong Wests. It sounds like Qbn might be a tad off the pace they set last year and Darra will win plenty.

By all reports, after 1 round it sounds like:
Easts - much improved
Uni - weakened
Qbn - slightly weakened
Royals - improved
Tuggies - same
Wests - much improved
Darra - improved

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
That sounds promising for the blue bags. I can't imagine anyone would tip Tuggies missing the final four but it sounds like there will be some good competition for the other three spots. The comp will be all the better with a strong Wests. It sounds like Qbn might be a tad off the pace they set last year and Darra will win plenty.

By all reports, after 1 round it sounds like:
Easts - much improved
Uni - weakened
Qbn - slightly weakened
Royals - improved
Tuggies - same
Wests - much improved
Darra - improved

Fair summary Istanbul. I reckon by round 5 we will get a more accurate idea as to a probable top 4 , but lets hope that all the teams keep us guessing right up to the end

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Potentially 2 good games this weekend if the Owls can regroup after last weeks whoopin'. However, I think the gap will be too big to close up against a side like Tuggers
Vikings by 45

Royals v Eagles.... both appear greatly improved versions this year. have to go with the Royals after their demolition job last round.
Royals by 15-20

Status
Not open for further replies.