• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Haha I rekon that is probably bang on the money Istanbul!
Wests vs Tuggeranong- Should be a belter. Tipping a close game.
Royals vs Gungahlin- Blue Baggers should be too strong for the men from the north.
Uni vs Easts- The students will win comfortably.

Anyone else getting out to any games?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I might try to get down to Phillip. Both Wests and Darra have a chance to take a big step towards locking in a finals spot tomorrow. Tuggies and Royals have both had a lot of players drafted into the Brumbies this week and could be vulnerable. If Wests and Darra can't get up tomorrow you wonder if they might just be making up numbers in the finals. It would make it very interesting if one or both of them could cause a big upset.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
yeah I agree that both the heavyweights look a little more vulnerable...but I think they will still have to much class.

Tuggers by 12-15
Royals by 15-20
Uni by 25-30

Interesting battle for 3rd and 4th. Whites have Easts, bye and Wests. Gungahlin and Wests however, have a tough road playing combos of Royals, Vikings and Whites...then have to battle it out against each other. Makes bonus points very important so we should see some trys.

At this stage I'll go with:
Royals
tuggers
Wests
whites

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Westies rolled Tuggies quite convincingly - a late try to the stripper reduced it to a few points (31-35 perhaps?) but the lions pack dominated to the point Tuggies had to go to uncontested scrums after a number of front row injuries. Wests were impressive, Kaino is a bit of a beast. Any news from Phillip?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Hi guys,

I'm the community rugby media inter this season at the Brumbies and I'll be covering the John I Dent Cup this season. I've written the review for the round 1 fixtures and after round 1 I really like the looks of winger Angus Le Lievre and fullback Mitch Douch for the whites and I'm a big fan of colts graduate Cameron Holt for the Vikings. Easts look more improved this season, wests were gutsy in defeat and tough to break down, Vikings always look good and Queanbeyan looked the goods but they need to play for the full 80.

This worked out well?? Almost Brumbies-like so much promise with so little follow through. It's pretty hard to find JID scores let alone a match report. Saw in the CT that Easts were unlucky not to get the win against Uni in what sounded like a pretty scrappy affair.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Holy smokes! So much for Royals being vulnerable. Royals premiership odds would have to have shortened after today's results!

Good to hear from you No8!

Yeah...and Gungahlins chances of making the four will have lengthened.
How was Noa going No8?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Read the other day that the long term plan for Googong is for it to grow to a population of 18,000 over the next however many years. Had me thinking whether it would grow the whites catchment, whether there might be a Googong RUC in the Monaro comp, or if there was scope for a struggling club like Easts to cut Qbn's grass and make some sort of link to that community. Not suggesting there will be a glut of high quality players from day 1 but I do recall the days when Tuggies had a cricket score run up against them week in and week out in the early days.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi All,

I haven't been able to get down to a game for a while but was able to get down to VP for 1st grade.

Daramalan were impressive. They dominated possession and territory the entire game. their number 7 (duffey?) was very impressive only on the scoresheet for one but came close another 3 times.

Tuggeranong put in a pretty unbelievable defensive effort their tight 5 (in particular the front rowers) put in a tremendous amount of work in tight around the rucks. However, their attack looked a bit uninspired perhaps lacking a bit of direction. Inserting Lonergan into the side ahead of may have played a factor here as I'm not sure dorrough and Lonergan have played much (if any) football together. tuggies scrum looked good (i understand they got punished in the scrum against wests) even winning a late tighthead to seal the game.

Coming into finals if they continue to defend the way they did on Saturday teams will struggle to score tries against tuggies. but they look to have gone backwards with their attack.

Anyway top four is now set in stone who's excited for finals? Anyone have any bold predictions?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Going out on a limb here, but...

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 5.43.43 pm.png

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Wish we had quality local rugby union coverage like that in the Canberra Times these days. Some fairly impressive blasts from the past mentioned in both line ups there.

Hard to see Royals getting beaten but finals footy is a funny thing....

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
I went out and had a look at Wests vs Queanbeyan. I think the Whites are going to make a big charge and will knock off Wests on the Sunday.
How are the Lions looking long term? They are usually very strong down the grades but are struggling to field a Colts team and aren't in the finals in anything except 1sts?
Have they sent the trophy off to be engraved yet? Do they write Royals or Canberra Royals?
Any early favourites for the MacDougall? Cusack or Muirhead for mine.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I have to say that Tuggies have looked pretty average of late but throw Jackson Hope, lealefiano, Ah Wong, and possibly Powell and others and the trophy engraver might want to pause a bit...

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have to say that Tuggies have looked pretty average of late but throw Jackson Hope, lealefiano, Ah Wong, and possibly Powell and others and the trophy engraver might want to pause a bit.

Yeah Istanbul, finals are are a different beast. From memory however, Royals brumbies seemed to have a way bigger influence than Tuggers brumbies when they met 1st up. Not that I've seen a lot of games this year, but Royals seem to have an overall consistency and confidence that the Vikings just seem to lack. In saying that, in the last game between them Tuggers werent far off the pace and I think scored 3 tries to 2. Throw in close ones and losses against the Whites and Wests and there are no guarantees at all...makes for an crackin' finals.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I went out and had a look at Wests vs Queanbeyan. I think the Whites are going to make a big charge and will knock off Wests on the Sunday.
How are the Lions looking long term? They are usually very strong down the grades but are struggling to field a Colts team and aren't in the finals in anything except 1sts?
Have they sent the trophy off to be engraved yet? Do they write Royals or Canberra Royals?
Any early favourites for the MacDougall? Cusack or Muirhead for mine.

I remember a team called the All Blacks once had a habit of pre-engraving world cups at one stage early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.