• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
What is the rule in relation to uncontested scrums. I thought at one stage it was a forfeit but I think Tuggies went uncontested a couple of weeks ago and had to drop a player off from the point they called it uncontested. I can't see Tuggies getting past Wests this week.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What is the rule in relation to uncontested scrums. I thought at one stage it was a forfeit but I think Tuggies went uncontested a couple of weeks ago and had to drop a player off from the point they called it uncontested. I can't see Tuggies getting past Wests this week.

I always thought the rule was if you started a game with uncontested scrums it was an automatic forfeit but if during the game you do not have capability to continue with a contested scrum you were able to go to uncontested without it impacting the result of the game.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I always thought the rule was if you started a game with uncontested scrums it was an automatic forfeit but if during the game you do not have capability to continue with a contested scrum you were able to go to uncontested without it impacting the result of the game.

I believe this is correct. As long as you start the game with contested scrums it doesn't impact the game. It's probably happened a few times but I know Gungahlin went uncontested against tuggies earlier in the year and it didn't mean gungahlin had to forfeit.

I do have concerns about the depth at prop at tuggeranong. Presuming Wagner is no good this week, Mcgrath probably comes in at tight-head from what i understand it's not his preferred side (whatever that means haha). If he or Taula get injured i think the next man up is probably cushan in colts? And he got worked by the gungahlin colts front row on the weekend.

Could be trouble.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)

I believe this is correct. As long as you start the game with contested scrums it doesn't impact the game. It's probably happened a few times but I know Gungahlin went uncontested against tuggies earlier in the year and it didn't mean gungahlin had to forfeit.

I do have concerns about the depth at prop at tuggeranong. Presuming Wagner is no good this week, Mcgrath probably comes in at tight-head from what i understand it's not his preferred side (whatever that means haha). If he or Taula get injured i think the next man up is probably cushan in colts? And he got worked by the gungahlin colts front row on the weekend.

Could be trouble.

There has to be some consequence for going uncontested otherwise Tuggies would be crazy not to have Wagner go down in the first 5 minutes, replace him with a more mobile Oakman-Hunt and call uncontested to nullify the advantage of the Wests scrum.

I think the game I was thinking of was the Vikings v Darra one and it was Darra rather than Vikes who went uncontested and I'm sure they had to drop off a flanker and play with 14 from the point they called it. I'll google it - I'm sure it's somewhere but there must be some consequence otherwise any team with a weak scrum would exploit it.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yep Schedule 2 of the 2017 ACTRU rules says:

World Rugby Law 3.6(d) union specific variations-
a) A provision may be introduced that where uncontested scrums are ordered as a result of there being no suitably training (sic) and experienced front row replacements for any reason, the team concerned shall not be entitled to replace the player whose departure caused the uncontested scrums.

Seems fair to me!

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I can see Adam is well-respected and I don't think he needs to move on - what I saw from the Whites First Grade side this year is that they were just a bit one dimensional - always close to being that really dynamic side they were last year but just a bit of the mark.

I think bringing Mosely into first grade from Colts was the right move - when in form he was arguably the best 10 running around in 1st grade at different points of the season - I can see him becoming a Brumby - very much a "New Zealand" style 10 - can control the game well.

Saying that though they dragged him from the game - prob about 15 mins into the 2nd half - and he was NOT happy about it.

Apparently Mosely was dragged because a blue card issued by the physio after he had a head clash in the first half. They suspected a fractured jaw. He was not happy at all and did not want to leave the field. Hope it wasn't that kind of injury.....

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Any inside word from the Wests or Tuggies camps this week? I'm guessing the scrum machine would be getting a fair flogging around Erindale all this week.

Do we know the extent of Wagner's injury?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I predict the Vikings will get a flood of fatties next year from aspiring front rowers from all over the country, who have visited this thread.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I predict the Vikings will get a flood of fatties next year from aspiring front rowers from all over the country, who have visited this thread.

Or dare I say it - a few promising front rowers on the rise from other clubs suddenly decide they like the "opportunities" in Vikings land..,

Grant Bones

Frank Row (1)
Not sure if it's true but did Ryan Jones start for Queanbeyan second grade today. He was named in the stampede. If I'm not wrong he started in first grade grade last week against Wests. If this is the case we have serious a problem with final qualifications in the competition.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not sure if it's true but did Ryan Jones start for Queanbeyan second grade today. He was named in the stampede. If I'm not wrong he started in first grade grade last week against Wests. If this is the case we have serious a problem with final qualifications in the competition.

Jones didn't end up playing today - he's been out for most of the season and maybe played 2-3 2nd grade games and 2-3 1st grade games - def has not been a perm member of the 1st grade side this year. He will more than likely play next week I'd say due to Qbns No.8 sustaining a knee injury.

Unsure sure what the issue is here?

I'd understand if they had named Penca.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wests scrum was something else today...taula, Henry and Liam are not first graders anymore...think def Henry and Taula are done...

Grant Bones

Frank Row (1)
Jones didn't end up playing today - he's been out for most of the season and maybe played 2-3 2nd grade games and 2-3 1st grade games - def has not been a perm member of the 1st grade side this year. He will more than likely play next week I'd say due to Qbns No.8 sustaining a knee injury.

Unsure sure what the issue is here?

I'd understand if they had named Penca.
So you think it's fair No8? Jones played first grade last week and you think it's ok for him to play 2nd grade in the grand final. If the valley did that there would be an uproar.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So you think it's fair No8? Jones played first grade last week and you think it's ok for him to play 2nd grade in the grand final. If the valley did that there would be an uproar.

There have been prob 5-6 guys in the 2nd grade side that have played 1st or 2nd grade throughout the season - Jones this year has been apart of the 1st and 2nd grade sides - not a perm member of 1st grade.

Still don't get the issue?? He's a 1st/2nd grade player - playing 2nd grade?

As mentioned I'd understand if a perm 1st grader was named like Penca. . .

I think you're reading into this a bit to much haha. . .

Grant Bones

Frank Row (1)
There have been prob 5-6 guys in the 2nd grade side that have played 1st or 2nd grade throughout the season - Jones this year has been apart of the 1st and 2nd grade sides - not a perm member of 1st grade.

Still don't get the issue?? He's a 1st/2nd grade player - playing 2nd grade?

As mentioned I'd understand if a perm 1st grader was named like Penca.

I think you're reading into this a bit to much haha.
Not reading into it like you say, but it should not be allowed. If He played first he can't go back to seconds.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
If a player has been drifting between 1's and 2's them there is no problem with them playing 2's come finals time. Game time in a higher grade shouldn't automatically disqualify you.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Next Saturday is our chance to avenge the hurt of 2002. Going to be one hell of an afternoon on Blue Bagger Hill!
Get there in blue and in numbers!
3000 loud and passionate voices on the hill, go you good thing!

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Comp will have rules around injury dispensations, which I suspect Jones will satisfy. If allowed he will be a big in for the Whites next week.

1s decider could be a huge game if Wests can limit their errors. Their style will take Royals out of their comfort zone if they execute well. Royals will cut them to shreds if they don't though, and would be thoroughly deserving premiers.

What's the over/under on Tuggies player budget for next season? A new front row might just be the start...

Status
Not open for further replies.