• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
So two weeks in - is it a fair bet to say the premiership will be fought out between Tuggies, Royals and Qbn with Eagles and Wests fighting out to see who goes out first week in the finals. Set for a great battle to see if Easts can give the spoon to unis.

Anyone seen anything to suggest otherwise?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought one of the Vikings back rowers was impressive in Oakman-Hunts absence allen? someone said he played for wests last year? Vikings pack was pretty dominant they seem to have addressed some of the set piece issues that plagued them last year.

Angus Allen probably. Essentially a No 7. Has been around the Brumbies age group teams for quite a few years and was in last year's U20s squad. Played with Wests last year and moved to Vikings this year. I also thought he might have played for Aus U20s but could be wrong about that.

Played in the Brumbies' trial match v the Rebels earlier this year. Will probably make it into the Brumbies full time next year or shortly after.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
So two weeks in - is it a fair bet to say the premiership will be fought out between Tuggies, Royals and Qbn with Eagles and Wests fighting out to see who goes out first week in the finals. Set for a great battle to see if Easts can give the spoon to unis.

Anyone seen anything to suggest otherwise?

haha as long as we're completely overreacting and calling it early. It looks like a two horse race with Royals slight favorites over tuggies to win the premiership.

Just judging only by the scores and having not watched any of the other games there is a huge gap between the two teams mentioned above and the rest of the pack.

QBN will finish third managing to consistently beat the eagles, wests, uni-norths and easts throughout the year.

Easts will finish 4th upsetting gungahlin on at least one occasion, finishing the job against Wests and notching up another win against university.

Gungahlin will finish 5th having lost at least once to each of wests and easts and then not able to pick up wins against QBN, tuggies or royals. They'll miss out on the four narrowly perhaps even on for and against.

Wests will finish in 6th having notched up an upset win against Gungahlin, staying close in games with tuggies, QBN and royals and notching up a couple of wins against Uni-Norths they do enough to avoid the spoon.

Uni-Norths finish with the spoon. A tough year for the owls unable to build on a solid 2017 they are never able to find their form and are unable to consistently beat any of the other teams in the competition. They take gungahlin to the wire in each game but are unable to come away with a win they do however steal one from wests.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
haha as long as we're completely overreacting and calling it early. It looks like a two horse race with Royals slight favorites over tuggies to win the premiership.

Just judging only by the scores and having not watched any of the other games there is a huge gap between the two teams mentioned above and the rest of the pack.

QBN will finish third managing to consistently beat the eagles, wests, uni-norths and easts throughout the year.

Easts will finish 4th upsetting gungahlin on at least one occasion, finishing the job against Wests and notching up another win against university.

Gungahlin will finish 5th having lost at least once to each of wests and easts and then not able to pick up wins against QBN, tuggies or royals. They'll miss out on the four narrowly perhaps even on for and against.

Wests will finish in 6th having notched up an upset win against Gungahlin, staying close in games with tuggies, QBN and royals and notching up a couple of wins against Uni-Norths they do enough to avoid the spoon.

Uni-Norths finish with the spoon. A tough year for the owls unable to build on a solid 2017 they are never able to find their form and are unable to consistently beat any of the other teams in the competition. They take gungahlin to the wire in each game but are unable to come away with a win they do however steal one from wests.

Outstanding! And next weeks Powerball numbers?

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Predictions
Uni Norths vs Tuggeranong- Vikings by 9
Royals vs Gungahlin - Royals by at least 40
Wests vs Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 10
Easts have the BYE, a good chance for them to rest up.

I was impressed by Uni last weekend and I think that they can really hang in there against Tuggeranong this weekend. Very much looking forward to seeing how Dara respond after their last effort. I think we'll see a fired up Western Districts at Jamison/the feeding grounds on their Ladies Day. I'd imagine that they are desperate to get back on the field after they gave up a 19 point lead to draw with Easts.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Predictions
Uni Norths vs Tuggeranong- Vikings by 9
Royals vs Gungahlin - Royals by at least 40
Wests vs Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 10
Easts have the BYE, a good chance for them to rest up.

I was impressed by Uni last weekend and I think that they can really hang in there against Tuggeranong this weekend. Very much looking forward to seeing how Dara respond after their last effort. I think we'll see a fired up Western Districts at Jamison/the feeding grounds on their Ladies Day. I'd imagine that they are desperate to get back on the field after they gave up a 19 point lead to draw with Easts.

"The feeding grounds on their ladies day".... maybe they are the real Vikings..

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'll probably head down to watch the Vikings play the Owls this week. My predictions below. Again I need to preface this by saying I have not watched any other teams and am making my picks solely off the scores that I have seen.

Uni Norths vs Tuggeranong- Vikings by 30+
Royals vs Gungahlin - Royals by 30+
Wests vs Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 15

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Went to Jamison to see Wests vs Queanbeyan.

How it ended up at 26-20 is a mystery since the Wests scrum got monstered today and they had at least 2 in the bin. The penalty try and Carl Elliott try either side of half time seemed to be too much for Wests despite a late comeback.

It was 4 tries each but the goal kicking won it for the Whites.

Hope the Wests hooker recovers quickly after the hit he copped from Noa.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fair hit, just a massive noise that went with it.

There was a few minutes off while he was attended to and walked off with the medics.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Fair hit, just a massive noise that went with it.

There was a few minutes off while he was attended to and walked off with the medics.

Fingers crossed he's okay. Any reports from the uni v Tuggies? 17 all is an incredible result for the uni boys and I'm betting Tuggies won't be excited about training this week...

Pretty good start to the 2018 JID. Nice to see the gap between the top and bottom teams narrow a little. Healthy for the comp.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Went to both Royals games this season. Thought the first round win was a massive fluke (two tries coming off forward passes and a knock on), but we played to the whistle and definitely showed the spirit needed to win. The Eagles game somehow felt more even, yet also ended up being a more comfortable result than anything in the past few years. Looks like it's a Royals-Whites final at this early stage, but good to see some positive performances from every team so far.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched 2nds and 1sts of Tuggies vs Owls.

2nd grade went pretty much as expected. tuggies set piece (particularly their scrum) was unreal Naylor and Mcgrath were the pick of the tuggies side. Both work horses. There looked to be a really nasty injury to the owls centre late in the 1st half so hopefully he's ok.

It hurts me to say as a Vikings man but Uni-Norths deserved to win... Only saved on the bell by the big tongan prop Taula barnstorming run. We should be talking about tuggies second loss of this young season. Unis scrum was very solid (the inclusion of Ben Alexander obviously gave them a boost). And for most of the game Uni were dominant at the breakdown, Lolo was instrumental in disrupting vikings ball all day. Uni had plenty of opportunities to score and had their backline been slightly sharper I think we would be talking about a different result. Isaac thompson went off injured in the 2nd half so that didn't help matters for the Vikings. Tittor didn't look comfortable when asked to cover flyhalf and vikings lost all direction.

As mentioned I think Uni should have won the game. They deserved it and were let down at the bell by some pretty suspect defence (although I wouldn't wanna tackle Sione either so can you blame them?)

I think Uni are poised to upset a few teams this year, particularly if Ben Alexander can't work his way back into the super rugby side.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks for the reports guys!

I've always thought the JID standard is pretty good but it says a bit when 3 fringe brumbies props drop back and dominate the games they played in. Maybe the gap between JID and Super rugby is bigger than I thought.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Very tense finish at ANU on Saturday, just shows how even our wonderful competition is. Huge weekend coming up with Tuggeranong taking on Qbn (at Taylor Park I think?). No. 8 will you be going? Uni have a bye which could be halt any momentum gained from Saturday. It could also be a positive as I know from talking to a few of the players that there were some wounded bodies floating around the barn after the match. Royals take on Easts which will be a massive test for the tri colours. My match of the round this week is definitely Daramalan vs Wests. Both sides will be desperate to chalk up a win. I'm tipping the Lions to get the job done. I'll post my other predictions later in the week. Does a red card mean anything suspension wise? Or will OJ be free to play this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.