• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

July Internationals 2023 - matches not involving Australia

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
F04Gv7IaUAAsuci.jpeg.jpg

DMac not even.in the 23. Must be injured?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couldn't agree more Kiwi, I suspect although a bit of a surprise about DMac not being on bench the clue was given in him playing 80 minutes last week?

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Really only whitelock and maybe Lester not back
Surprised with Dmac and maybe Narawa not on bench but like it’s been said maybe some rotation in the rugby champs for all teams

good side through, stronger with jorden / telea back and retalick in the forwards
Williams and Samisoni forming and bomb squad bench

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Problem with leaving DMac out is that if RMo or Beaugan need replacing/ subbing you've gotta change half your backline: e.g. Jordan to 15, Telea to 14, Clarke to 11 which is a big disruption during a game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Problem with leaving DMac out is that if RMo or Beaugan need replacing/ subbing you've gotta change half your backline: e.g. Jordan to 15, Telea to 14, Clarke to 11 which is a big disruption during a game.
Yep , but don't we want these things to be tried now than in KO games in WC. I do think that LF would of been on field or bench if fully fit as he prevents a lot of theose problems, so have made as few changes as possible?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I reckon this was pre planned before last week's game - they want size on the bench.

Foster confirmed the former at today's presser but I don't think he was asked about the latter...

He also made this statement wrt SamW:

"He's available for selection, based on where his body's at," said Foster. "We made a decision, by not playing him this week, we can give him an extra week after that and it gives us a decent block of recovery for that leg.

"He would be available to play, but we've made a long-term decision, rather than a medical decision on that one."

Maybe it's just me but doesn't the second part of that contradict the first?

Edit: CGW just showed a clip that wasn't on either news bulletin in which Foster said Narawa pulled up with a sore back on Sunday & hasn't trained all week.

There maybe a very good chance that Eben Etsebeth wont play due to his dad death yesterday.

Any update on that?

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wierd odds, but don't pretend how they set them anyway, and don't they have different odds in different markets? I was reading from one South African who says that sport betting market is small over there (don't know how true) and he wonders if they try to attract people to it.
I wouldn't know as I don't bet anyway, and actually admit to noy liking the whole thing,

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I gave up sports betting a long time ago when it was pointed out to me that no matter how much I won all of it & more ended up going back over the counter on stupid bets and/ or the bar shouting my mates. I didn't want to end up being one of those sad & broke old blokes you see at the local tab or pub/ club on a Saturday arvo trying desperately to win back what they lost on Friday arvo, Thursday arvo, etc. so one day I just decided to stop.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^ I gave up sports betting a long time ago when it was pointed out to me that no matter how much I won all of it & more ended up going back over the counter on stupid bets and/ or the bar shouting my mates. I didn't want to end up being one of those sad & broke old blokes you see at the local tab or pub/ club on a Saturday arvo trying desperately to win back what they lost on Friday arvo, Thursday arvo, etc. so one day I just decided to stop.
Gambling can be a massive issue for some, just like any other addiction. I grew up around racehorses so having a punt is part of my DNA. However, I’m pretty restrained with it, I only bet small, it just adds a bit to the excitement of the event, especially when as a neutral such as in this instance. So I’ll have a few bucks on SA purely because it looks outrageous value.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not against gambling either (will play Lotto etc), just not for me, but do admit I would rather odds for rugby games etc weren't ever advertised etc. I just get iffy when gambling get's involved the temptation for crooked results come in. Cricket cames to mind.
I know it differnt sport, but always remember being at a luncheon where one Alan Jones was speaking, was boasting he had a horse racing that day, but it wasn't going to be in places9he reckoned about 5th) as it was being set for race next week and jocket was under instructions not to ride it hard. We all had to listen to race and horse came in 6th!! Not suggesting it was been done to stretch odds or anything, just punters didn't know the jockey's instructions etc

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There is no doubt a dodgy element to horse racing, but in the instance you are referring to there I suspect the horse was preparing for races over a longer distance and this was a lead up to that. Its fairly common practice in that situation not to flog the crap out of the horse as it will likely get outsprinted anyway. Even the parrot wouldn’t publicly advertise that they were deliberately ‘pulling’ the horse. Anyway, for another thread. Good luck tomorrow.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Foster confirmed the former at today's presser but I don't think he was asked about the latter...

He also made this statement wrt SamW:

"He's available for selection, based on where his body's at," said Foster. "We made a decision, by not playing him this week, we can give him an extra week after that and it gives us a decent block of recovery for that leg.

"He would be available to play, but we've made a long-term decision, rather than a medical decision on that one."

Maybe it's just me but doesn't the second part of that contradict the first?

Edit: CGW just showed a clip that wasn't on either news bulletin in which Foster said Narawa pulled up with a sore back on Sunday & hasn't trained all week.

Any update on that?
I actually wondered if there might be a point being made here for SamW re: his decision to go against All Blacks advice and proceeding to play in that Super Rugby final.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems the Japan/ABXV match is overlapping times with Wallaby/Puma test, might have to miss first part of test?