• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kane Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stats hey? I like many was a fan of Kane's performance v the Argies.

Explain this though, stats from here:

3 tackles, 1 run (for 12m) and 1 ruck/maul hit

Compare to Sharpie with: 5 tackles, 10 runs, 9 ruck/mauls
and BA with 5, 10 and 11.

In fact Douglas, from these stats, had the lowest work rate of the entire pack by some way. A mistake?

I specifically remember 2 individual runs from Douglas. Those stats must simply be wrong, at least in the runs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'll do a review later tonight to see just how inaccurate they are.

I follow NRL statistics quite heavily it's just disgraceful how poor the Union ones are. They're just so inaccurate.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I follow NRL statistics quite heavily it's just disgraceful how poor the Union ones are. They're just so inaccurate.

I was doing something as simple as doing a round by round tabulation of goal kicking stats in Super Rugby and was checking one doubtful game and I saw they had given a successful kick to Stephen Moore.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Thank God the Wallabies employ their own statistician and carefully cross-check and mine all the available data.

Oh.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is what I've got

Runs 3
Tackles 8
Rucks 50
Mauls 5

Ha, one of the rucks he hit he went straight from the side, right in front of Barnes and no penalty. A couple before the McCabe try.

50 is a very good number, a bit inflated because we had a lot of possession but generally you want your tighthead lock hitting 35-40 rucks a game. Had 25 at the break so a good spread.

Michael Hooper is a freak, he must've hit something like 100 rucks.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
This is what I've got

He certainly is a freak. His work rate is a cut above any other forward and he will only get better as he learns to better manage his game plan. At the moment it is raw enthusiam and athleticism, I remember him running down a French winger from behind in the under 20 competition.The guy has serious toe, just like his brother.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This is what I've got

Runs 3
Tackles 8
Rucks 50
Mauls 5

Ha, one of the rucks he hit he went straight from the side, right in front of Barnes and no penalty. A couple before the McCabe try.

50 is a very good number, a bit inflated because we had a lot of possession but generally you want your tighthead lock hitting 35-40 rucks a game. Had 25 at the break so a good spread.

OK, but what was your measure of "rucks"

first 3 or 4 would make sense for a tight 5 unit

but first one or two for an backrower

would be my level

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gaggerland's own Minister of Analysis, Scott Allen, publishes accurate and reliable stats.

Very trustworthy and always insightful.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, but what was your measure of "rucks"

first 3 or 4 would make sense for a tight 5 unit

but first one or two for an backrower

would be my level

Any ruck a player binded to, so yes sometimes they don't cleanout anyone and just go over the ball and and secure it. I think that counts as "workload" since they're following the ball and actually doing something.

But apart from the rucks you really wonder why they get the tackles and runs wrong for a lock when they stand out doing their thing.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The issue is we have three good TH locks (Horwill, Timani, Douglas) but no-one on the LH side (after Sharpe retires). As much as I'd love to see a Horwill/Douglas pairing (possibly with Timani at 6/8/18) I wonder who would be taking charge of the lineout. Pyle? Simmons?

If MMM signs with the Force I'd be happy with him or Pyle.

S

Sydneybra

I remember when Sharpe was out of the side and our lock pairing was Horwill and Chisolm our scrum was awesome but our lineout was shocking. That was 2009 I think, so I'm not sure how Horwill has developed since then. Maybe that's why Deans keeps putting Dennis in the side -- to have someone to call lineouts when Sharpe is gone and Horwill and Timani/Douglas are our locks. Especially given that he seems to favour Timani over Douglas and Timani is apparently too heavy to lift.

Still I'd rather have a secure scrum and a lot of grunt at the breakdown and a lineout no more than adequate. It's worked for the ABs for a few years now.

I think Kane is heavier at 122kg compared to the 120kg Timani

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As a Bok fan I will be very happy if he picks Timani over Douglas every time.

One looks like a guy who consistency works from set piece to ruck and then again. The other pops up now and then and does something noteworthy. I'll take the former.

Stats schmats.

T

TOCC

I thought he was pretty ineffective against South Africa.. We were dominated in the forwards and Douglas was a key culprit.

J

Jiggles

I thought he was pretty ineffective against South Africa.. We were dominated in the forwards and Douglas was a key culprit.

He is a perfect example of the problem with some of the current players. Great one week, rubbish the next. Mind you a lot of the senior forwards were just as bad. TPN was incredibly soft in letting in the Louw try.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
He looked out of his depth against the Bokke. I haven't seen anything that makes him a long-term solution

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought he was disappointing against the Boks, but showed enough in GC to get another shot. You could say the same about Ships. Be very harsh to turf these guys out after one bad game in their 2nd test.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought he was disappointing against the Boks, but showed enough in GC to get another shot. You could say the same about Ships. Be very harsh to turf these guys out after one bad game in their 2nd test.

they were all crap and out of their depth,

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I should clarify- both are injury cover, so obviously I wouldn't mind Douglas being dropped for Timani. But I don't agree we should chop and change simply for the sake of it, especially with all the injury-enforced changes we already have to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.