• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sounds like a few tinfoil hats are being polished off.

At the time KHunt sat in the centre of a Venn Diagram consisting of Gold Coast resident, current or former RL player, and current or former AFL player. The others implicated so far are Gold Coast Residents, and current or former NRL players.

The set missing on the issued with a Notice to Appear Venn Diagram are Cold Coast residents who are current or former AFL players. On the basis that these things are generally localised with networks based around work colleagues, or acquaintances within an easy commute, the spotlight must be falling on one or more Gold Coast Swans Players.

I reckon any CCC investigation train heading to Sydney would probably not have KHunt as the link, but that would exist off a cell established by those higher up in the organisation. This could get much much bigger or fizzle out like a fart in a lift.

T

TOCC

I snowboard down a mountain of it every day just to get to work :rolleyes:

Get over this perception that Sydney is better or worse than anywhere else. Have a look at the infrastructure on the Gold Coast and ask yourself: even with tourism, how the fuck did those massive buildings go up? There is no corporate infrastructure to speak of, after all.

I'm not denying that Gold Coast has a drug problem, but are you really suggesting that all the skyscrapers on the Gold Coast are funded by drugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not denying that Gold Coast has a drug problem, but are you really suggesting that all the skyscrapers on the Gold Coast are funded by drugs?

Thanks to the likes of Christopher Skase, the Gold Coast has a long and proud history of skyscrapers being funded by hapless investors who ended up losing all their money doesn't it?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any one know if there was a massive plunge in wooden spoon betting before the news of the Titans blokes emerged? I notice they are now $101 to win the NRL Premiership. I remember a few years ago, in the hours leading up before the Storm salary cap scandal came out there was copious amounts of money thrown at them to win the spoon, crazy odds like $51-1 and sure enough with the points deduction it happened.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You're all for playing hardball with players who break the law, but not for suspensions for breaking the law? Isn't that how sporting organisations do hardball? It is, after all, the organisation in charge of drugs in sport. They don't really have any jurisdiction over assault, stealing or bubbling.
I'm all for the sport of a Rugby to hand out harsh penalties.
Not for ASADA/WADA to impose automatic suspensions for something that they really should have nothing to do with.
I'm happy for them to dish out penalties for performance enhancement.
However,as they have remarkabley poor record in doing their job,in typical bureaucratic fashion they have expanded their brief,to make them relevant,and so that they can actually announce some convictions.
recreational use should be disciplined by the ruling body of each sport,not the drug testers.

T

TOCC

Thanks to the likes of Christopher Skase, the Gold Coast has a long and proud history of skyscrapers being funded by hapless investors who ended up losing all their money doesn't it?

I fail to see what this has to do with anything BH...

Just to clarify though, Christopher Skase never developed a skyscraper on the Gold Coast.. Unless your definition of skyscraper is a 3 story resort.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC - the best thing C Skase did was hyis hovercraft service from Marina Mirage to Brisbane Airport, The only ones that didn't like it were the yabbies on the sandbanks - it use to blow them about a metre out of the sand

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I snowboard down a mountain of it every day just to get to work :rolleyes:

Get over this perception that Sydney is better or worse than anywhere else. Have a look at the infrastructure on the Gold Coast and ask yourself: even with tourism, how the fuck did those massive buildings go up? There is no corporate infrastructure to speak of, after all.

Most are sold to Southeners - wanna buy a couple

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Trouble is that IF it is a beat-up then careers are fucked, families potentially ruined and reputations sullied forever more.

If that is the case the QCCC ( via the Govt) should pay many many miliions to each and every player AND the investigating officers publicly named, shamed and sacked

The government does not publish the stories. The media is more at blame that than the government.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not a very strong case if they've only got text messages buying drugs from him. Looks like none have been caught with possession. I feel for them, if they were average punters the police wouldn't give two shits about going after them. When police seize drug dealers phones they don't bat an eye at the clients buying.

These trumped up supply charges are bizarre.
Text messages are more than enough to prove supply.

We dont know if they have been interviewed and added to that the CCC has powers to force persons to give evidence.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You'd have to be dumb to put into text or voice the name of what you want..

Hey Bro can you hook me up... he could just say that they have gay friend connections and his mate Smith has some.. innocent gay adultery.. While probably not what you wanna show your kids.. there's no law against it.. well other then the prenuptial

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd have to be dumb to put into text or voice the name of what you want..

Do you really think they need someone to actually say cocaine in a text message to charge and convict them?

It sounds like all of this is due to association with the former league player John Touma who was the focus of the investigation.

When they're presumably tapping his phone calls and have him under surveillance it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Do you really think they need someone to actually say cocaine in a text message to charge and convict them?

It sounds like all of this is due to association with the former league player John Touma who was the focus of the investigation.

When they're presumably tapping his phone calls and have him under surveillance it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

To be honest mate, i haven't read anything into it.. Most of my post is Tongue in Cheek.

I'm really not sure what they need to prove you guilty, I did jury duty once and from what I gathered, its the vibe .... so tell em there dreaming :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From the sounds of things, I think the reason why so many professional sportsmen are embroiled in this scenario is because they were buying from a guy far further up the chain than your average joe would normally be buying from due to the sporting contacts.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah, Well wasn't Smith and Seers caught with 280gm's that be up the chain a bit.. but I really haven't read to much.. it distracts me from rugby and all things wonderful..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm probably not going to change many minds here, but if you want a compelling reason to decriminalise cocaine and other cropped hard drugs:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...our-health-enjoy/story-fnq2o7dd-1227237031272

So it goes in Mexico, where more than 10 thousand people are killed each year in the drug war. Authorities say 90 per cent of victims are directly involved in the drug trade. The reality is that most victims are innocents caught in the crossfire. And all so Aussies can enjoy a high on a night out.

Take the price out of the market, and suddenly its no longer valuable to the drug lords. Grow it ourselves to create new agribusiness, and control it through regulation and taxation just like we have with tobacco, where our plummeting rates due to measures like plain packaging are praised the world over by advocates.

The article rightly points out that coke is still highly addictive.

But you can't stop "addicts" fucking themselves up, or the people around them. They will find a way - its in their personality. But the money we waste on law enforcement for this sort of shit just doesn't make sense when all it does is drive prices up for addicts who then commit other crimes to get it.

Instead we could create jobs and use the funds to prop up healthcare for addiction treatment of multiple drugs as well as general medicine.

The War on Drugs failed before it began. Unless you're going to apply overwhelming force and cripple the entire infrastructure ala WW1/WW2, you can't win because money. Instead, make it an economic war, devalue their arsenal, and take the victory on offer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Drug trafficking should never be legal but if you decriminalise drug use and treat it as a medical issue rather than a judicial issue you reduce a lot of the associated crime.

If you then legalise and tax softer drugs like marijuana (and treat it like alcohol and tobacco), you further reduce crime and put money in state coffers rather than take it away.

The evidence from the foreign jurisdictions that are using these measures is quite compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.