• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, I reckon he'll play next week. Good outcome, not fair for sportsmen to be held to higher standards imo. The average joe would get the same punishment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's a very lucky man.

You'd imagine he'll be back at Reds training next week.

No conviction recorded is a massive win for him as well as the fallout this will cause to Australian rugby.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
F$&@#me. The courts in this country are a farce. Contempt is what I feel for them. Regardless of the stupidity of the "legal" system in this country Rugby has the chance to rub this fool out, but as with previous sagas they will choose not to take action or at best totally fluff the actions they do take.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
He's a very lucky man.

You'd imagine he'll be back at Reds training next week.

No conviction recorded is a massive win for him as well as the fallout this will cause to Australian rugby.

I wouldn't say he was lucky, he was very well advised and the early guilty plea did him a world of good. Interesting to see if the others contest their charges now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
is this fine related to the possession or supply charges-or both?

Possession. No word on whether the supply charges were dropped or addressed down the track. I'm assuming dropped because they're flimsy at best. Media beat-up once again with 'blackest day in sport.'

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I suspect the prosecution agreed to alter the charges to possession on a plea of guilty.

That just plays right into the hands of the CCC. It's unlikely they could ever prove supply, and had no actual evidence of physical possession.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
supply charge was dropped by the prosecution as it was ludicrous.
How do you know it was ludicrous? Have you got a copy of the brief? I would suggest that the CCC would have ticked of the proofs fire primary faci car before laying the charges. The DPP does their usual work avoiding thing and seeks a plea deal, sorry "negotiated facts" as plea bargaining is not allowed as it's unethical and fraught with dangers of its own.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not quite half a dozen vintage burgundy
$2500 fine.

Add in the Lawyers fees, and with 2.5k on product, and $2.5k fine, that must be a case of @Swingpass's favoured burgundy down the gurgler.

If the ARU going rate for an offensive text message is $45k (or thereabouts), what is their sanction for drug use?
Today's News on the front page of the blog suggests:
"Currently a player on a $400,000-a-year deal would cop a $20,000 penalty for a first violation, along with being forced to undergo a drug treatment program."

$20k will be about 35 cases of vintage burgundy for the St Leonards boardroom wine cellar. Financial crisis in HQ ARU will be over with the cellar well stocked for at least another 6 or so months at predicted consumption rates (reduced hospitality expenses during RWC year).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't say he was lucky, he was very well advised and the early guilty plea did him a world of good. Interesting to see if the others contest their charges now.

Certainly well advised and he was presumably told by the prosecution they wouldn't push for a conviction if he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge.

A judge could have decided otherwise though which is where the luck comes into it.

Possession. No word on whether the supply charges were dropped or addressed down the track. I'm assuming dropped because they're flimsy at best. Media beat-up once again with 'blackest day in sport.'

It wasn't a media beat up. His original charge included supply.

I wonder if he will have to testify that he purchased cocaine from John Touma at his trial?

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
How do you know it was ludicrous? Have you got a copy of the brief? I would suggest that the CCC would have ticked of the proofs fire primary faci car before laying the charges. The DPP does their usual work avoiding thing and seeks a plea deal, sorry "negotiated facts" as plea bargaining is not allowed as it's unethical and fraught with dangers of its own.

I'm no lawyer, but all 4 lawyers I've heard speak about this issue have said the supply charges were complete B.S and would be dismissed either before his hearing or straight up at it. (Which they were).
The idea that you are supplying drugs to yourself by buying is not how the legislation was intended to be used.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Add in the Lawyers fees, and with 2.5k on product, and $2.5k fine, that must be a case of @Swingpass's favoured burgundy down the gurgler.

$20k will be about 35 cases of vintage burgundy for the St Leonards boardroom wine cellar. Financial crisis in HQ ARU will be over with the cellar well stocked for at least another 6 or so months at predicted consumption rates (reduced hospitality expenses during RWC year).

i was talking retail, you can buy a shit load more if you buy wholesale and don't pay any tax !

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Certainly well advised and he was presumably told by the prosecution they wouldn't push for a conviction if he pleaded guilty to the lesser charge.

Well advised on the presumption that the ARU has agreed behind closed doors not to rip up his contract. Lucky for the QRU they are in a position where they can simply point to the fact that this occurred prior to his time with the Reds.

Still the man now has a criminal record. That will follow him for the rest of his life. It's unlikely he'd ever be able to work in the UK or Europe again, despite no conviction being recorded. But I presume he's taken al of these matters into account before making this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.