• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop kick

Frank Nicholson (4)
How can the Tribunal go ahead?
The evidence has been tampered with and the key witnesses are refusing to testify.

Mr Beale isn't going need an ARU top-up he'll be able to sue whoever tampered with the evidence, defamed his character and affected his income.

Does anyone have any ideas on who would have had an interest in exaggerating the claims against Beale?
Beale supporters - No
The third party who sent the other texts - No
The ARU - highly doubtful
McKenzie - highly doubtful
Who else????

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^The tribunal must go ahead, if for nothing else to clear KB (Kurtley Beale)'s name.

Allegations have been made. The agreed process to deal with those allegations is to appoint an Independent Party to investigate the claims.

Anything less than letting the Investigation run it's course could be seen as denying one or other party of natural justice.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Who texted what to who and when is probably going to require forensic examination of both phones. If this has not been done already this may not be a one day event.

If the ARU does not have the second phone this may all become just way too hard to get any determination from the Tribunal. The clause in the Code requiring an experienced judge or legal practitioner may prove to have been well thought out after all.

I am assuming this is the Code of Conduct we are talking about.
http://www.rugby.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3cJMoqgJdXg=&tabid=1968

If there is seventy pages of evidence one might assume some other issues will be canvassed which might be considered other breaches of the Code of Conduct.

If they cannot get a crystal clear outcome the ARU is going to have to be very open about the reasons why.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As for being able to play for the Waratahs (or any other Super Rugby team)? That's a more difficult one. Is he eligible for the Wallabies? In that case it really makes a mockery of his whole punishment. If a regular employee did this he wouldn't be banned from working for other companies. Yes the Waratahs are a tier under the banner of the ARU, but at the same time, isn't the ARU punishment adequate?

That's where the professional sport situation is different to a normal job.

He's got multiple employees and whilst they're related, it would be overreach for the ARU to interfere with who the Waratahs hire and I imagine they won't go down that route because all the franchises and RUPA will be very unhappy.

Outside of taking away his ARU contract offer, presumably there will be a suspension. After that is served you'd assume that he's eligible to be selected for the Wallabies like any other player.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, there's the Rebecca Wilson's article today in the Smellygraph. Wilson isn't the most loved or respected of journos, and she's been solidly in the Beale camp during this saga (even writing an article that tried to justify his texts earlier).

According to Wilson's article, there's no question Beale sent offensive texts. The texts have been corrobated anyway by Beale's manager in other articles, and by quotes from players. The only text in question is the most offensive, the one that would likely lead to a sacking.

Note that they are also not disupting that the most offensive text was sent, just who sent it.

I am sorta bemused by this. Players would have seen the texts published weeks ago, and if true, would have known they were not accurate. That there wasn't a "leak" about that earlier is very surprising.

If true, I do find the 70-page submission over the top, and claim for his lawyer's fees ridiculous.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, there's the Rebecca Wilson's article today in the Smellygraph. Wilson isn't the most loved or respected of journos, and she's been solidly in the Beale camp during this saga (even writing an article that tried to justify his texts earlier).

According to Wilson's article, there's no question Beale sent offensive texts. The texts have been corrobated anyway by Beale's manager in other articles, and by quotes from players. The only text in question is the most offensive, the one that would likely lead to a sacking.

Note that they are also not disupting that the most offensive text was sent, just who sent it.

I am sorta bemused by this. Players would have seen the texts published weeks ago, and if true, would have known they were not accurate. That there wasn't a "leak" about that earlier is very surprising.

If true, I do find the 70-page submission over the top, and claim for his lawyer's fees ridiculous.

from that "article", her desription was not unreasonable
The senior Wallaby said she called Beale a “pig” for his sexist texts and that she and the coach, Ewen McKenzie had agreed that he was two different people.

but this? wtf?

And in another major development The Daily Telegraph can reveal the ARU have accepted that the alleged text exchange between Beale and Patston tended as evidence in the Wallabies star’s code of conduct hearing has been manipulated.
It is understood that a third party, and not Beale, is responsible for the most offensive text sent to Patston that has thrown Australian rugby into a state of turmoil.

Reactions: Ash
T

Train Without a Station

Ash that's what I'm wondering. If Beale didn't send it, why has Moses not come out and denied it, but rather let his reputation be dragged through the mud.

It only makes things worse for everybody. The public view is that he sent it, and a minor finding of innocence won't change that. People will still talk about it as if it's truth much like the rumored relationship between Patson and McKenzie.

The ARU will appear to have done nothing, or covered up for Beale, he will still be considered as an offender. Everybody loses still.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Typical legal bullshit. A 70 page submission. Questions over the accuracy of the reported content.

Yet, we have something offensive enough to cause issue. We have a player profusely apologising when his crime was revealed.

Now that same player wants compensation for legal costs.

What
The
Fucking
Fuck?
I've been calling for a department of common sense in government forever. Your breaking into Pfitzy house he gives you an arse whooping.. Department of common sense says you deserved it.

You send photos of a person, to the person at work.. Expect to be fired and she's allowed to call you a pig.. What the fuck else is there.

What was the tamping they put a hot women and not an obese women.

The whole lot of them can get fucked.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How can the Tribunal go ahead?
The evidence has been tampered with and the key witnesses are refusing to testify.

Mr Beale isn't going need an ARU top-up he'll be able to sue whoever tampered with the evidence, defamed his character and affected his income.

Does anyone have any ideas on who would have had an interest in exaggerating the claims against Beale?
Beale supporters - No
The third party who sent the other texts - No
The ARU - highly doubtful
McKenzie - highly doubtful
Who else????

Are you sure key witnesses are refusing to testify?
Are you sure the evidence has been tampered with? It is alleged the leaked texts were tampered with, how do you know these are the exact same ones that are used as evidence against him?

You are making many assumptions.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wilson appears to be doing some classic journalistic backpedalling of her own in that article.

To me she has realised her staunch leaning towards the 'Beale position' is unsustainable. BUT, she chimes in at the end with another one of those Daily Tele exclusives. To my mind she hasn't completely burnt out her sources by raising the tampering allegation.

It's hard not to be cynical given her previous 'contributions' on the matter.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
While no-one can condone what Beale allegedly did, and he should wear the appropriate consequences if guilty, the hatred and bitterness about the guy from some posters here (who, I wouldn't mind betting, have never met him) is almost frightening.
If he is banned from rugby for all time, which is what some people seem to want, it would be a totally unprecedented action.
My guess is he will lose his ARU contract and top-up, be banned from the EOYT and fined. He should also be sent to counselling, that's what would happen out in the real world.
The ARU will may have 2 cases to answer for not protecting a staff members from bullying, and possibly not having an appropriate anti-bullying policy.
It would be reasonable for Beale himself to plead a case for being a victim of bullying. He was subjected to abuse from a Wallaby managerial staff member on the plane, and it could be construed that he was bullied about his outstanding Gold Coast room bill when accosted on the bench DURING a Test match i.e. he was confronted when preparing to perform his primary duty of playing rugby. Bullying can also be female on male.
In the real world the line manager (in this case Link) would also have a case to answer, but in this case I think that's unlikely.

Froggy, I agree with your main argument.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would be reasonable for Beale himself to plead a case for being a victim of bullying. He was subjected to abuse from a Wallaby managerial staff member on the plane, and it could be construed that he was bullied about his outstanding Gold Coast room bill when accosted on the bench DURING a Test match i.e. he was confronted when preparing to perform his primary duty of playing rugby. Bullying can also be female on male.

Bloody hell..............

No, it would not be reasonable as there's not a shred of evidence that Beale was "abused/bullied" by Patston on the plane.............

Even if the second part is true, re: Patston approaching beale regarding an outstanding bill during a game, that is not bullying..........

This is a new low.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Bloody hell......

No, it would not be reasonable as there's not a shred of evidence that Beale was "abused/bullied" by Patston on the plane.....

Even if the second part is true, re: Patston approaching beale regarding an outstanding bill during a game, that is not bullying....

This is a new low.

Coming from some one who labelled him a Cyber Bully before any enquiry.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
So what Slim? There is hardly any evidence at all in the public domain about any of this at all, although apparently sufficient to sustain us for 2305 posts.

Most of what has been communicated privately can't be commented upon. Most of the posts here condemn Beale based on the newspaper reports the posters choose to believe. Any journalist choosing to report a different version of events has been roundly denigrated on this site.

Any poster pointing out discrepancies is criticised for speculating and challenged to produce evidence. Discrepancies are explained away by assumptions on what people could have done which would justify the position being taken. All pure speculation without a shred of evidence.

Although there is a lot of confidence on the outcome I would suggest light snacks over the weekend in case a large amount of humble pie has to be eaten. I am thinking of fasting.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The other issue that exacerbates the entire situation is that we all have our "sources" and "mail", and nobody is willing to name names in order to protect them and not be banned from the forum. (this journio thing is easy, aye)

I expect that many people (including some sitting on the panel in about 50 minutes) do know the full story - including whether link knew about these texts in June - yet won't talk for one reason or another.

Sadly, this comes across (rightfully) as a lack of transparency, making the fans very unhappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.