• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I can't believe people are trying to pass the buck onto link. Or the team manager.

Considering the two individuals are on record trying to improve team culture and standards.

JOC (James O'Connor) had his contract torn up after an argument with a stuardess over seating arrangements on an international flight.

Beale has just had an argument with the teams manager on an international flight, which resulted in her leaving the squad.

If Beale doesnt have his contract torn to shreds then the ARU and Link reek of double standards and JOC (James O'Connor) should feel rightly peeved

If what Beale did was a sackable offence, he would have been sent home and squad wouldn't be rallying around him.

I don't particularly like Beale, but I don't think this incident is entirely his fault.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
None of us know what this incident is about yet.
We do now.
"Reported allegations of physical intimidation from Beale will be strongly refuted by the player and other witnesses, as will reports Beale and logistics manager Michael Doyle were arguing.
Fairfax Media understands Doyle had repeatedly offered Beale his shorts to change into after McKenzie had asked him to change out of his dress shirt.
Beale repeatedly refused the offer, as well as other offers of clothing from teammates, at which point Patston is understood to have made a comment that sparked the pair's heated argument.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...t-approach-20141004-10q7dg.html#ixzz3FCrOZ3B0"
Stubbygate?
Dudgate?
Shorts gate?
Faulty towers has got nothing on this: I wonder what mike Doyle was going to wear once he he gave his duds to KB (Kurtley Beale).
I hope that's part of the investigation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If what Beale did was a sackable offence, he would have been sent home and squad wouldn't be rallying around him.

I don't particularly like Beale, but I don't think this incident is entirely his fault.
According to the article above link wanted to send him home.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
G'day Inside. What a morning for a test hey! Looking forward to it.

I read that too yesterday.

What I meant in my last comment was that we are relying on reports that use terminology such as "Fairfax media understands"... "[A]t which point Patson is understood"...

cheers

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
  • To Rupert's eternal shame, and I think he is a great reporter, and he actually has an understanding of the French game, he/Fairfax got the Patston side of things completely wrong.
All allegedly, of course.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
G'day Inside. What a morning for a test hey! Looking forward to it.

I read that too yesterday.

What I meant in my last comment was that we are relying on reports that use terminology such as "Fairfax media understands". "[A]t which point Patson is understood".

cheers
I see your point but the source must be pretty reliable because otherwise defamation litigation awaits - and the way they're writing it everyone mentioned could have a case.
There must be some considerable background to this otherwise it seems everyone has over reacted.
KB (Kurtley Beale) was over dressed - sounds like he hadn't changed from the night before.
That little inference should get the thread humming.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
I liked Kiap's "I went to South America/Argentina and all I got was this t-shirt" picture.

The report's were written to avoid defamation. Throw in a few qualifying statements and it's all good.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I know that if it turns out that KB (Kurtley Beale)'s offence was minor and he's not hung from the gates of the SFS, then the KB (Kurtley Beale) haters will go beserk.

I guess I would be seen as a KB (Kurtley Beale) hater, but I prefer to think of myself as a hater of people who don't learn from the past and continue to either break rules or lack discipline in a professional environment. I think there are a lot of people who like KB (Kurtley Beale) but would like to see him axed for his indiscretions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We do now.
"Reported allegations of physical intimidation from Beale will be strongly refuted by the player and other witnesses, as will reports Beale and logistics manager Michael Doyle were arguing.
Fairfax Media understands Doyle had repeatedly offered Beale his shorts to change into after McKenzie had asked him to change out of his dress shirt.
Beale repeatedly refused the offer, as well as other offers of clothing from teammates, at which point Patston is understood to have made a comment that sparked the pair's heated argument.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...t-approach-20141004-10q7dg.html#ixzz3FCrOZ3B0"
Stubbygate?
Dudgate?
Shorts gate?
Faulty towers has got nothing on this: I wonder what mike Doyle was going to wear once he he gave his duds to KB (Kurtley Beale).
I hope that's part of the investigation.

I think this article raises more questions than it answers.

If I read it correctly:

Patston made the original inflammatory comment.

At least part of the allegations against Beale will be refuted by witnesses and it's highly likely that many/most of the players fit into this category, as would the officials

Beale doesn't seem to have been following team dress rules and obstinantly refused to do so

The thought of some one the size Kurtley Beale wearing a pair of shorts borrowed from the diminuitive Mick Doyle isn't a pretty picture. Rather uncomfortable on a plane I'd imagine.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I guess I would be seen as a KB (Kurtley Beale) hater, but I prefer to think of myself as a hater of people who don't learn from the past and continue to either break rules or lack discipline in a professional environment. I think there are a lot of people who like KB (Kurtley Beale) but would like to see him axed for his indiscretions.

I'd just like to see this incident judged on its merits.

If his infraction is fairly minor, it may not be career ending. If it's serious enough to be the final infringment in a long line of bad behaviour, so be it. If it's serious enough to warrant further action, I have no problem with that either.

I don't have any particular axe to grind either way.

I would caution putting too much stock in what's coming from the Fairfax media.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
why do I keep hearing (in the real world - not on here) that this is more about personal relationships, than professional or commercial relationships.

One moment (initially) MacKenzie was reportedly in a meeting, now he's accompanying one of the protagonists to the airport.

Did anyone see the job ad for the Wallabies Business Manager or even the newly minted Logistics Manager? Is it any wonder that Pulver wants to see evidence of qualifications etc first hand.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I see your point but the source must be pretty reliable because otherwise defamation litigation awaits - and the way they're writing it everyone mentioned could have a case.
There must be some considerable background to this otherwise it seems everyone has over reacted.
KB (Kurtley Beale) was over dressed - sounds like he hadn't changed from the night before.
That little inference should get the thread humming.

But when you look at the time line - there's not really much of a night before.

5pm kick off at Cape Town
7pm full time
At least 9pm probably 10pm before the team leaves Newlands
They have to be at Cape Town airport at 4am on the Sunday morning
Flight to Sao Paulo leave Jo'burg at 6am

It really is a recipe for disaster when you look at it. Highly unlikely that anyone got much sleep (regardless of alcohol consumption). Into this environment you put 30 odd people into the confined space of an Airbus A 340. It's really like flicking matches at a puddle of kerosene, the chances are you will get ignition eventually.

I understand the need to get to Argentina as quickly as possible, but in hindsight they may have been better advised to have a recovery session in the salt water at Cape Town on Sunday morning and flown to South America up to 24 hours later (depending on flight schedules).

I'm not excusing poor behaviour, but an ounce of prevention is better than a pund of cure.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Did anyone see the job ad for the Wallabies Business Manager or even the newly minted Logistics Manager? Is it any wonder that Pulver wants to see evidence of qualifications etc first hand.

The newly minted logistics manager doubles as a development officer most of the time so i suspect there were no ads and no interviews just freeing up some cash

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
why do I keep hearing (in the real world - not on here) that this is more about personal relationships, than professional or commercial relationships.

One moment (initially) MacKenzie was reportedly in a meeting, now he's accompanying one of the protagonists to the airport.

So true MOTH. Sometimes it's better to pull back and deal with the matter at a more opportune time, than have a confrontation in a tense situation.

If it is the case that he refused to change clothes, "ok mate, we'll talk about it tomorrow", and then in the calm light of day when everyone isn't tired and uncomfotable you apply whatever punishment that is appropriate.

About 20 pages ago I noted that the skills and attributes of a Business Manager aren't the same as those of a man-manager, which is why I think it's odd that the roles have been combined.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They haven't covered themselves with glory so far with the Linkedin stuff and some of it is so vague it could have been written by Humphrey Appleby.

There was nothing vague about Sir Humphrey's missives! But its a fair point - they're just doing what we are but being paid for it.
There would have been a post match as well but the pint is everybody else was in their number 2s or 3s by the sound of it.
Hard to believe this is all for being over dressed: #scapegoat

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There was nothing vague about Sir Humphrey's missives! But its a fair point - they're just doing what we are but being paid for it.
There would have been a post match as well but the pint is everybody else was in their number 2s or 3s by the sound of it.
Hard to believe this is all for being over dressed: #scapegoat

There's certainly more to this than changing shirts (and I still can't get the thought of KB (Kurtley Beale) wearing Mick Doyle's shorts out of my mind).

I agree he should have been in the right gear - just maybe after he had allegedly refused to change, things could have been left to a more timely moment. (When everyone wasn't tired and cranky)

Well done on post 500.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.