• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah I don't think the rumours about a relationship between McKenzie and Patston were started by the media outlets. That was coming from online chatter including here.

I must say that Hooper's responses were on the squeemish side and he possibly could have handled the "should he be sacked" question a lot better.

He quite easily should have said that a process is to be played out and that it should be allowed to run its course before commenting on Beale's playing future. If they pressed him on it, then he could have deflected it by either going down the "Beale has made a significant contribution to Wallaby rugby over the years.." or the "Playing for the Wallabies is a privilege and there is a positive culture within the camp and we are determined to beat the ABs..."

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We take this stuff seriously @old fella. If you see something defamatory report it and we will get rid of it.

I would just like to say, you guys do a good job of nipping stuff in the butt, as soon as you can... I dont always agree with it as with my post above about risk. But I do want to say .. Well done and Thanks.. it's not really a task people want to do but you have some rules and you follow through.

If only KB (Kurtley Beale) had that kind of thought process to delete something before sending it on he would be in a better place.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Now here me out, (I dont agree with this) but does anyone think we maybe better off keeping KB (Kurtley Beale)... We all know his going to go of to the NRL or France or Japan so to him really its not that big of a deal..

But maybe we should keep him, get him out helping youth, and womens rights and really make him work at being a changed person.

Go to schools go to women shelters go to aboriginal youth. His not the bright guy but if he had some good people around him saying you have to do this its in your contract, he might do some good.

I understand sacking him is what we all think, but what would that teach him, that he gets a million bucks in league or france..

Fuck wish I could send emails about people I work with and have the option of going somewhere else on more money.. cluster fuck

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah I don't think the rumours about a relationship between McKenzie and Patston were started by the media outlets. That was coming from online chatter including here.

I must say that Hooper's responses were on the squeemish side and he possibly could have handled the "should he be sacked" question a lot better.

He quite easily should have said that a process is to be played out and that it should be allowed to run its course before commenting on Beale's playing future. If they pressed him on it, then he could have deflected it by either going down the "Beale has made a significant contribution to Wallaby rugby over the years.." or the "Playing for the Wallabies is a privilege and there is a positive culture within the camp and we are determined to beat the ABs."

Maybe he said what he really thought. Have you considered that possibility?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One question I ask is, had Di raised the issue with team management when it occurred, what would have been Beale's fate. The incident may have been mediated successfully at that time with Beale merely copping a suspension and warning.

I wonder what the legal implications could be to the ARU if they do not terminate Beale's employment. Given that Di has already resigned it is probably neither here nor there. Had she resigned due to a failure by the ARU to deal with the incident appropriately then there could be legal consequences. Does anyone have a background in Employment Law? Mine is very limited.

This is also a point I'm extremely interested in, as Di's "second chance" for Beale as you state above puts a different slant on matters.

The texts were offensive, childish, and stupid. No one doubts that. They're easily a cause for dismissal in any organisation.

But fuck you're not doing yourself any favours if you let it slide or try to use it as a hold over someone. That shows some strange (faulty, perhaps) judgement on Patston's part, or a lack of understanding about the proper protocols to be followed.

For it to be brought back now as the hammer blow for Beale is unfortunate - but the fact is he sent them, and despite his apology, he's cooked from an employee responsibility point of view.

Maybe this shitfight wouldn't have arisen if it was properly dealt with at the time, but once we pull the pin on Mr Grenade, he is no longer our friend.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Now here me out, (I dont agree with this) but does anyone think we maybe better off keeping KB (Kurtley Beale). We all know his going to go of to the NRL or France or Japan so to him really its not that big of a deal..

But maybe we should keep him, get him out helping youth, and womens rights and really make him work at being a changed person.

Go to schools go to women shelters go to aboriginal youth. His not the bright guy but if he had some good people around him saying you have to do this its in your contract, he might do some good.

I understand sacking him is what we all think, but what would that teach him, that he gets a million bucks in league or france..

Fuck wish I could send emails about people I work with and have the option of going somewhere else on more money.. cluster fuck

No.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
With Beale's history and the described offensiveness of the text messages, and their apparent breach of Australian telecommunications law AND the ARU Member Protection Policy, there was a chance for mediation, do you? If those had come out then he'd have been sacked then - on what appears to be the 2nd day in camp in June.

And if you're wondering whether Ewen knew and lied about it, remember that he picked Beale at 10 for the first Bled. If Fairfax claims were actually true, and Patston had undue influence on the team and discipline, how/why the hell do you think McKenzie would've done that? We're crucifying him for driving her to the airport FFS. He'll ignore a disgusting couple of text message that he knows about and give Beale a chance in his preferred position, but then he'll drive his confidante to the airport and miss a training session? It just doesn't fit.

T

Train Without a Station

But fuck you're not doing yourself any favours if you let it slide or try to use it as a hold over someone. That shows some strange (faulty, perhaps) judgement on Patston's part, or a lack of understanding about the proper protocols to be followed.

Pfitzy, I can't agree with that. The basis of Payten's article with the alleged texts was that if he kept his nose clean, the matter would not be escalated. If he didn't, it would.

He was given ample opportunity for it to not ruin his career.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Now here me out, (I dont agree with this) but does anyone think we maybe better off keeping KB (Kurtley Beale). We all know his going to go of to the NRL or France or Japan so to him really its not that big of a deal..

There's an argument to be had over weather or not the aru should register any contract he's offered from a super rugby side, but the aru shouldn't be offering him a contract and if he stays there needs to be some clear and strict conditions placed on his 'rehab' before he gets anywhere near the wallabies. In the end I think it's best he goes.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This is also a point I'm extremely interested in, as Di's "second chance" for Beale as you state above puts a different slant on matters.

The texts were offensive, childish, and stupid. No one doubts that. They're easily a cause for dismissal in any organisation.

For it to be brought back now as the hammer blow for Beale is unfortunate - but the fact is he sent them, and despite his apology, he's cooked from an employee responsibility point of view.

Maybe this shitfight wouldn't have arisen if it was properly dealt with at the time, but once we pull the pin on Mr Grenade, he is no longer our friend.

I understand this point, and I realise you are essentially playing devils advocate here. However, if you put yourself in Di's shoes there is a reason she didn't want to report what happened. It's the same reason that children who are bullied at school very rarely tell school teachers what is going on. Because they fear the it will only further ostracise them from their colleagues. Di was probably right to try to sweep it under the carpet - look at the pounding she has taken from all directions since this story came to light. Now that it's out she obviously felt she could no longer continue in that role.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is there any scope to punish those players that were witness to the apology? Those that received the text had no option to do so and should be OK. Being apart of covering up the rest of the matter from team management could be argued to be another matter and may be worth punishing. Part of me thinks it is likely these are the same players with the biggest problems with Patston but this is obviously speculation. If the team is ever going to stamp out the BS and take an approach of it will not be tolerated under any circumstances then maybe they should be. Not arguing for it, interested to see what others think.

T

Train Without a Station

More educated men than myself have speculated it would be a failure to comply with sexual harassment policy potentially if they received it/witnessed it and failed to do anything.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not having read the above for a while because I'm not a KB (Kurtley Beale) fan.

I am not a KB (Kurtley Beale) fan, because of his behaviour and attitude.

Having just read the SMH Rugby Heaven - truth session, my thoughts.

Hooper has always set an example on and off the field, as has Slipper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). For them to step up publically and stand by KB (Kurtley Beale), and say time for a truth session is admirable and a great way to tie the team closer.

Far better than when QC (Quade Cooper) was hung out to dry when speaking the truth about being toxic. I admired QC (Quade Cooper) for sharing his views and feelings, I am quite the opposite with KB (Kurtley Beale).

Well done Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), and Slipper - bring it in tight boys and let rip on the weekend.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
More educated men than myself have speculated it would be a failure to comply with sexual harassment policy potentially if they received it/witnessed it and failed to do anything.

Legally I think they would be fine as individuals, unlike Beale, but they should have reported from an ARU stand point. The ARU's failure to investigate although doing it now might be ok (just about every example the Human Rights Commission uses applies directly to this incident). You would imagine a sexual harassment policy would be designed to cover the organisation as much as the individuals and you would have to speculate in not reporting the msgs, they would have violated that.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
[Hypothetically]

What if Patston pursues this matter further against Beale? What if unlike Beale's other victims she choses not to settle? Does the ARU, any Super Franchise want nightly footage on the news of Beale marching into court or a tribunal (wherever they hear this stuff)?

Status
Not open for further replies.