• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Last Appointment: All Blacks in Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dis or appointment, never mind, this can be the last roll of the dice. Will be this Springbok team's highest mountain to climb, maybe one step to far . Hope this Bok team will show some guts and caracter and beat the old foe at home. To achieve this they will have to play with a lot of passion for 80 minutes, make no mistake.

The All Blacks the favourates for this one. The All Black team:
1 Tony Woodcock
2 Andrew Hore
3 Owen Franks
4 Brad Thorn
5 Isaac Ross
6 Jerome Kaino
7 Richie McCaw
8 Kieran Read
9 Jimmy Cowan
10 Daniel Carter
11 Sitiveni Sivivatu
12 Stephen Donald
13 Ma'a Nonu
14 Josevata Rokocoko
15 Mils Muliaina
16 Aled de Malmanche
17 John Afoa
18 Adam Thomson
19 Rodney So'oialo
20 Brendon Leonard
21 Isaia Toeava
22 Cory Jane

Captain - Richie McCaw
Donald at inside centre
Nonu at outside centre
Thomson, Toeava and Jane come onto the bench

Interesting no lock replacement, so Henry & kie obvious have a surprise or two. KLast time we played the All Blacks we dominate the lineouts in both tests and the secret for the Bokke in this one.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting no lock replacement, so Henry & kie obvious have a surprise or two. KLast time we played the All Blacks we dominate the lineouts in both tests and the secret for the Bokke in this one.

Very strange not picking a back up lock on the bench, tells me that the AB's will just bomb from everywhere & make sure they don't kick into the Bokke 22.

All Blacks will bomb & box kick all night & avoid lineouts like herpies so all in all "kickfest".

They bettter hope that Thorn or Ross don't go off injured as they'll also be screwed in the scrum if they're going to bank on Thomson or Read to fill in.

I'm hoping for a Bok win so we can go across the ditch next week & avoid the wooden spoon.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Would like that too, but I reckon the Boks are knackered and the ABs are gonna go apeshit.

McCaw and Carter also back to full fitness.....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Don't worry PB, if you don't win it this week, we'll win it for you next week. :thumb

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scotty said:
PS We don't seem to have any regular posters from NZ on this site anymore?

There's a few around. ACT Crusader was posting fairly recently as well, and Mainlander pops his head around sometimes...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will be a cracker of a game. I think the boks have made a big mistake in staying away from NZ until just before the game. I know it worked for the Perth game, but Perth is not a hostile venue for the boks - Hamilton is.

I think a winter night game in NZ reduces the possibility of either team scoring 4 tries and I reckon it will come down to Steyn V Carter to decide it.

Surely the boks have to pick Smit at hooker this week

Who is the ref btw?

I am tipping the blacks, although if Habana is fit then I think its a 50:50 bet.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself fell the Bokke have a better change then many may feel. They just had to do what they did in the first two tests against the All Blacks. Dominate the lineout, that will force them to either run or kick up and unders. Will be vital Morne and Francois (hope he'll be picked) get their kicks out or go for the corners and use their midfield against Donald and Nunu. They may not be to bad as individual defenders but out of position and not a tested combination and I have full trust in Jean & Jac Fourie to do just that. They need to convert their changes and built their innings. A bit of Bulls rugby. If they can get evens in the scrums and Brussouw plays like we know he can then , defend well they can take this one. There is enough experiense in this team to keep their head even in Bagdad for all it matters and heaps of accolades to keep them motivated to plug a win. 3-0 against the All Blacks and a win in NZ territory for two years on the trot plus a 3 Nation title, cant ask for more. It will be icing on the cake for this team if they win this one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
Surely the boks have to pick Smit at hooker this week

That would be admitting that the scrum problems aren't the referees fault.
That wont happen , the team, will be announce soon but Jannie also struggling with a injury, so he will not start. Pretty sure they'll work hard this week to get ready for the scrum onslaught they expect from the All Blacks. The thing about the All Black team selection is that they have no lock backup, if they get a injury to their locks and the likes of Thomson get in that position it will weaken their scrums. I still think our lineout can cancel out their scrums because where will they go if they get no lineout ball? In the air or run?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Pienaar dropped.

Springboks team named on Wednesday to play the All Blacks in a Tri-Nations rugby Test at Waikato Stadium on Saturday:
Francois Steyn, Odwa Ngungane, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Juan Smith, Heinrich Brussow, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, John Smit (capt), Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira. Res: Chiliboy Ralepelle, Jannie du Plessis, Danie Rossouw, Schalk Burger, Ricky Januarie, Adrian Jacobs, Ruan Pienaar.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the boks have made a big mistake in staying away from NZ until just before the game. I know it worked for the Perth game, but Perth is not a hostile venue for the boks - Hamilton is.

I disagree Mark I think they did the right thing chilling out on the Gold Coast, let them relax & recover from the bumps as they don't need any fitness work at this end of the season.

Fly into hamilton 48 hours from kick off & then switch on for the game.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fair enough, I just don't think that training on the warm and sunny gold coast in spring is good preparation for a night game of rugby in NZ, which will basically be in winter conditions (alteast by Aus/SA standards). It will be slippery underfoot and the ball will be greasy. PLus its a ground that PdV has probably never even been to.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Springboks drop Ruan Pienaar, recall Francois Steyn to face All Blacks
By staff writers
September 09, 2009 .South Africa's selectors have made one change to the Springboks side to face New Zealand in the tri Nations Test in Hamilton on Saturday night.

Francois Steyn replaces Ruan Pienaar at fullback in the only change to the starting side that lost 21-6 to Australia in Brisbane last weekend, a result that kept the tournament alive for New Zealand.

Winger Bryan Habana passed a test on his tight hamstring and was named on the left wing although Springboks coach Peter de Villiers said the winger would require intensive treatment for the remainder of this week.

No 8 Pierre Spies has also overcome a groin strain.

Steyn's contribution was notable during South Africa's two defeats of the All Blacks on home soil earlier in the campaign.

He had few running opportunities but his long, accurate punting helped the Springboks to win the territorial battle and apply pressure that New Zealand failed to meet.

"We've tried to keep it as simple as possible," de Villiers said of the team.

"But there is a bit of horses-for-courses and Frans can play a major role in Hamilton with his boot.

"It's not a shift in game plan. We expect Dan Carter to kick more and with Frans we can put ourselves back in position and able to dictate play."

SOUTH AFRICA: Francois Steyn; Odwa Ngungane, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana; Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez; Pierre Spies, Juan Smith, Heinrich Brussow; Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha; John Smit (captain), Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira; Replacements: Chiliboy Ralepelle, Jannie du Plessis, Danie Rossouw, Schalk Burger, Ricky Januarie, Adrian Jacobs, Ruan Pienaar.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I reckon the ABs will get smashed in the lineouts, but will only just shade the Boks in the scrum.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
mark_s said:
Fair enough, I just don't think that training on the warm and sunny gold coast in spring is good preparation for a night game of rugby in NZ, which will basically be in winter conditions (alteast by Aus/SA standards). It will be slippery underfoot and the ball will be greasy. PLus its a ground that PdV has probably never even been to.
Dont agree. Think the slippery weather will fit perfectly well in their gameplan. These players are experiensed enough and played a lot of rugby in slippery weather. I'll rather practise in sunny weather and get all the drills done compare to practise in the wet and risk some of them getting sick before the match. Also good to take them away from the fuss and hype surrounding Hamilton and the test. Let them relax and get back to fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.