• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Last Appointment: All Blacks in Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
Scarfman said:
You can't bludge in the 3N.

As we found out when our forwards thought that in the 4 games we lost this year.
Yep. Well if we dont win it at least we won all our home tests in the 3 Nations plus 1 away with a bonuspoint and wont eat out of the woodwork. Still will be great to win this weekend, thats what keep old green arses like myself alive.

I was to mention Skorsie, glad he post and even my Brute friend Blue has disappear.

R

rugbywhisperer

If there is anyone out there who after tonights game and what we had last week in Brisbane is still unsatisifed with rugby, well what can you say - 2 of the best games of test rugby for a long long time.
Some aspects of the AB game were initalyy lacklustre but none the less - a great game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
rugbywhisperer said:
If there is anyone out there who after tonights game and what we had last week in Brisbane is still unsatisifed with rugby, well what can you say - 2 of the best games of test rugby for a long long time.
Tonight was certainly a great contest, but by God the ABs put some average rugby out there in the first 40. They needed to out-hussle the Bokke, and clearly when they did this (too late) they looked very dangerous.
Deserved 3N win to the Bokke, so congrats to PB, Blue and any other Saffers who lurk around here. 2 away wins will just about always seal the comp so cannot ask for more.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is the worst All Black team of the professional era - and though I can't remember the Bok v NZ games in 1998, except that the Boks won them both, the All Blacks weren't too bad in the 3 games they lost to us that year.

And since that below average All Black team beat us twice in 2009 you can imagine my poor opinion of the Wallabies in the 2 games we lost to them.

We are rightly chuffed by the good performance of the Wallabies in Brisbane, but don't forget that the Boks actually tried to play some rugby in that game and we beat them at our game. The Blacks will hoist the pill against us.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You know Lee, when you said:
Lee Grant said:
This is the worst All Black team of the professional era
I had to think WHY? And i wonder if the answer might be Euro dollars? If so, we should be very concerned about in Oz.

S

Spook

Boks - well done. Great performance. Smit bounced back - he's a great player.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Lee Grant said:
This is the worst All Black team of the professional era - and though I can't remember the Bok v NZ games in 1998, except that the Boks won them both, the All Blacks weren't too bad in the 3 games they lost to us that year.

And since that below average All Black team beat us twice in 2009 you can imagine my poor opinion of the Wallabies in the 2 games we lost to them.

We are rightly chuffed by the good performance of the Wallabies in Brisbane, but don't forget that the Boks actually tried to play some rugby in that game and we beat them at our game. The Blacks will hoist the pill against us.
The AB's are playing dumb rugby - might be an inability to execute the gameplan, or just simply a shit gameplan (I lean toward the former, but I digress) - with guys that are a bit away from being their best version; as in a bit young (Read), or a bit old (Thorn).

The team will be up for things next year and weren't far off it this year really. It's an absolute must win next weekend though to keep some wheels on the truck looking to the EOYT.

No mention of peaking between cups. And Well Done Bokke.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Scorz - you haven't had a lot of cause to say those things about the Blacks in the past but we Aussies have about our team.

We make excuses about the bounce of the ball, the ref making a tight call against us and most of all we say a lot of times: we played badly but the result was close.

But deep down we know our fellows have not been good enough, week in week out, year in, year out.

We flatter ourselves when we have a good result and now and then see a vein of talent to give promise for the future. And you never know: one of these years we are going to be right.

As for beating us next week: it probably won't mean a lot. It will probably mean that our inconsistency has been consistent. Again.

Now and then your guys have had a crook game but it seems that they're doing it more than one out of two. Sure, NZ has lost some good players offshore but the guys who are left aren't performing to their ability.

Welcome to the club.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I posted this on TSF but I think it might be relevant for your guys too.

From my own observation, we're behind in re-adapting to the "old laws". It's really that simple in my mind - wrong conditioning, wrong shapes, wrong emphasis on skill sets, wrong game plans. That doesn't just come down to the AB coaches, it's all through NZ rugby coaching/conditioning and I think they might deserve a bit of a break on that. Only to a certain extent though, because having said that, if the conditioning isn't fixed by the beginning of the S15 it's time to look art those set ups and what the aims are for the power of forwards vs the elusivenessticityism of backs.

I think the ELV's produced a more stereotypical generic rugby "shape". Perhaps my best example of this is Joe Rokocoko.

Just a theory.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Lee, yeah we've had one of the worst years. But it's also highlighted by the long stretch of good results. As my old man, a rugbyhead with amazing recalling of results as a character trait, says, people are arrogant about the All Blacks these days, they don't remember that we always struggled against the Boks.
I think (hope) the Blacks will rediscover their consistency once they adapt to the changing of the laws again. I don't think we'll see a massively dominant All Black side for a year or so. I hope as a supporter that this is the wake up call we needed in order to re-assess our positions and selections and game style for the RWC 2011. Yes these test losses hurt, but you have to look forward and believe!

S

Spook

Scorzy, it must get boring winning all the time. Now you enjoy the sweet taste of revenge...

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Spook said:
Scorzy, it must get boring winning all the time. Now you enjoy the sweet taste of revenge...
Haha, nope never found it boring mate, but yeah it adds a bit of vinegar! :thumb

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
Deserved 3N win to the Bokke, so congrats to PB, Blue and any other Saffers who lurk around here. 2 away wins will just about always seal the comp so cannot ask for more.
Dankie Cyc, hell you have no idea what saturdays win means to the Bok supporters, even the dominee had a special service in church this morning. Our country need this and specially the rugby lot.

I'll put up my a thread tomorrow to give special praise to this team and Snor (I have Blue's avator and waiting for him to give it)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Watched a replay of this last night. Two instances:

• Buggered if I could see an infringement from the kickoff. I took it back and rewatched it in slo-slo-mo and still couldn't see anything. At the time I wasn't surprised a Welsh referee wouldn't want to check his whistle was working, that's the only reason I can deduce for this penalty.
  • There's a reasonable suspicion McCaw was offside when Carter kicked the ball for that last try. There's no across-the-field shot but the bloke next to McCaw looked to be just onside as he ran upfield; when St RtI came into shot he was in front of that man and stationary. I looked at it a few times and can't work out how Richie got to where he caught the pill without being offside.

Maybe the ABs were lucky to get close.

Status
Not open for further replies.