• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Law question - TPN's tackling technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I like that about Kane, he has that quality that seems to forgo most Aus forwards - wanting to smash people. Used it to effect in a couple of Tests last year where he caused a turnover.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I personally think some of them should be penalised for being no arms tackles. Some on here may remember a tackle by a Parramatta Eels player last year in the NRL that attacked Manu Vatuvei's knees in a similar fashion, and he received a suspension for it of about 3-4 weeks for simply a dangerous tackle.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Was I dreaming or did Saia get penalised in the Reds/Canes match for "no arms" in a diving tackle?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Was I dreaming or did Saia get penalised in the Reds/Canes match for "no arms" in a diving tackle?

It was Quirk that got penalised for the high tackle with no arms whilst Saia went low - Slipper clarified at the press conference.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well there is 10.4(g)

Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player.

And it makes sense that if you can't tackle a player with a stiff arm, you can't do the same with a stiff shoulder.

So there seems to be a decent case against this technique. I don't know what I'd call if I saw this in a game though. No one would expect you to call it up, but maybe that attitude should change if more and more people are being injured or ko'd by this.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't like the technique either. I just don't see the risk as being particularly high.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Something very similar is outlawed in American football because of the risk of injury - the commentators say how risky it. is in the video I posted.
Both instances produced injuries on Friday.
That's a better body of evidence than existed for banning tackling in mid air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My main concern with both Saia's & TPN's tackling style is that they are more likely to injure themselves. Injuries to the man being tackled in these situations are more likely to occur when they, themselves, attempt to twist or move to wither escape or offload.

Not pretty. Not the safest, but effective.

Inside shoulder - Just an aside about the evidence re tackling in midair. You also have to consider the severity of possible injuries for situations. Tackling someone by their ankles is less likely to cause a head or neck injury than grabing someones legs when they are off the gound because there is less risk of the first point of contact with the ground being their head.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I personally think some of them should be penalised for being no arms tackles. Some on here may remember a tackle by a Parramatta Eels player last year in the NRL that attacked Manu Vatuvei's knees in a similar fashion, and he received a suspension for it of about 3-4 weeks for simply a dangerous tackle.
We have approached it like that in Victoria for the last season. It's a "no arms tackle" and will result in a YC.

M

Muttonbird

Have to be careful what I say here because I have been hauled before the judiciary on this previously.

The Waratahs have lamented their injury stats the last few years and TPN has been a big part of that number. He is a danger to himself and to others on the pitch. Nothing is clearer. TPN does not play in the spirit of the game, he's got his own set of rules.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
If you look at the individual getting tackled there are two potential knee injuries
  1. If you have enough forward momentum and get hit on the shin you can rupture your PCL by pushing your tibia back against your femur
  2. Even if the tacklee is standing still and the tackler hits their knee with the shoulder from the side you can rupture both you MCL and your ACL. (This is the risk from the NFL chop block)
If you were going to bring in a rule against it would have to be for intentionally aiming at the lower leg, cause I know I've ended up tacking there accidentally may times across the years. (and it often bloody hurts Thighs = soft Shins = hard) I think that the place where you would see this being called would be around the rucks and in the open play you wouldn't do it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Neither player aims at the shin. They aim for the thigh and slide down as the player falls.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside shoulder - Just an aside about the evidence re tackling in midair. You also have to consider the severity of possible injuries for situations. Tackling someone by their ankles is less likely to cause a head or neck injury than grabing someones legs when they are off the gound because there is less risk of the first point of contact with the ground being their head.
Thats very true and Im not suggesting that the lack of evidence of the catastrophic injuries that could result from tackling blokes in mid air would have justified sitting back and continuing to hope for the best.

All I'm saying is that there is some evidence that a particular technique produces injuries - thats a good enough reason to have a look at the technique.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Neither player aims at the shin. They aim for the thigh and slide down as the player falls.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
have to disagree - TPN's technique on Frdiay reminded me of the Gopher in Caddyshack: he looked like he was crawling along the ground.
The first one completely blew my mind by virtue of the angle of attack.
Freakin' bizarre.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't have a problem with the rule being revised that the initial contact in a tackle needs to be above the knees if the players are running opposed each other. If the tackling player slips down after the initial contact or they are diving after a player running in the same direction (ankle tap etc) that would be OK.

No one wants to see a professional athlete injured due to an unnecessary tactic to gain a slight advantage at the tackle contest. The risks outweigh the rewards IMO.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
On the chop block thing, they are wearing helmets so it kinda is necessary they aren't allowed to tackle below the waist. I think it has less relevance to our game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the chop block thing, they are wearing helmets so it kinda is necessary they aren't allowed to tackle below the waist. I think it has less relevance to our game.

The other big thing in gridiron is that you often get tackled/hit without expecting it. That is not a problem that really exists in rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am on record here (somewhere) about TPN and his tackle technique needing to be corrected because IMHO it is puts himself at serious risk of concussion. Leading with the head is seldom clever. He seems to spend too much match time wandering around in a daze.

The discussion about tackling low (below the knees) is interesting.

Front on "low" tackles seem to be the issue. Apart from TPN and FingerS, there aren't too many that seem to tackle "low" from front on as a matter of course. Most front on tackles seem to be targeted at the waist or higher (attacking the ball).

"good" tackles below the knees (with no apparent risk to tackler or tackled player) seem to be:
The desparation ankle tap.
The dive from behind/the side, wrapping arms around legs/ankles to bring the attacker down.

Do front on tackles beklow the knees with the arms leading present serious risk?

What hope is there for the more slightly built players to effect a front on tackle against a Raging Bull?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Something very similar is outlawed in American football because of the risk of injury - the commentators say how risky it. is in the video I posted.
Both instances produced injuries on Friday.
That's a better body of evidence than existed for banning tackling in mid air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it, a 'chop block' is where one player takes the guy up high while the other goes low, which is what happened in the clip you posted. The low tackle or block - cut-blocking - is legal but it does have some strigent rules around when it can happen and how.

Status
Not open for further replies.