• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’d definitely agree with that.

He’s got better game by game for the Storm and League Wingers have the ability to be far more involved in a game than a Rugby Winger who can do absolutely nothing in a game potentially (not always their fault, game plan etc..) We love Marika because of his involvements which is something every half decent League Winger does.

I actually thought the other day if I was an NRL team that Dylan Pietsch would be someone I want. Could easily play Wing, Centre, Lock & Bench Utility.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting to hear in the GBRA podcast this week that Cheika mentioned he was very keen to get Luke Keary across, and had had solid discussions, but no clubs wanted to take him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Did Cheika say what year he was after him? He’s well past being a legitimate option now and probably the last 3 years but before that I would have been interested.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Apparently 2016. If that’s so, not a bad call. He was getting dicked around by Rusty (playing reserve grade, out of position in first grade) for the nana Glenn incident. So he felt unwanted, was young and prior to his concussion issues. Went on to win the Clive Churchill medal with the Roosters a few years later. Oh well. It’s in this article https://www.planetrugby.com/news/cr...here-they-got-it-badly-wrong-with-sam-burgess

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
"RUGBY AUSTRALIA SET TO MAKE PLAY FOR SOUTHS YOUNG GUN - Rugby Australia are set to make a play for Rabbitohs’ rising star Tallis Duncan for a switch to the rival code."

Though the source seems to be "The Mole" so maybe don't read too much into it

Gee - I’m hesitant throwing money at a rugby league player who might not be built for test rugby…

I’m sure this Duncan kid is extremely talented but throwing big money at a player who’s expected to play in forwards and wouldn’t be a line out option at 6ft1…

This will be first red flag league signing I can think of… can we stick him out in the backline?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Love to know how much first of all because this could be the level of player to target. It’s too big a risk to go after Origin level players. If it doesn’t work you have spent 1m/yr.

Id say in the Centres for his position in Rugby. League backrow fits it the best. They are extremely fit and usually the best defenders on the field. SBW, Cam Murray, Angus Chrichton.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Money talks for this bloke.

Does for all players but his contracts have been endless news for 3 years. Didn’t the Broncos just offer him 1.1m per year?

I would love to see how Rothfield the germ would try and say Haas is “so out of form it’s ridiculous” if he did sign.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Money talks for this bloke.

Does for all players but his contracts have been endless news for 3 years. Didn’t the Broncos just offer him 1.1m per year?

I would love to see how Rothfield the germ would try and say Haas is “so out of form it’s ridiculous” if he did sign.
It’s inevitable,

as soon as “superstar” league players sign with the union they suddenly become “overrated” in the eyes of the NRL journalists.

My favourite was when SBW was coming back to the Roosters’s from union … all the league commentators were saying “he’ll be too slow” “unfit” …. Reality he ended up dominating that year from game one.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It’s inevitable,

as soon as “superstar” league players sign with the union they suddenly become “overrated” in the eyes of the NRL journalists.

My favourite was when SBW was coming back to the Roosters’s from union … all the league commentators were saying “he’ll be too slow” “unfit” …. Reality he ended up dominating that year from game one.

I actually remember them marveling at his clearly improved passing game. All the while doing their best to not acknowledge where he'd developed that new skillset.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I remember them saying Roger Tuivasa Schek was “washed” when the Blues signed him. Now they are happy he’s back.

JS was slammed and told he’s not that good. He’s been on of the Roosters best for the last month and they won’t even talk about him.

So sensitive it’s fantastic. Mostly the old ones that resemble nut sacks (Gould, Rothfield, Crawley) the younger ones like Slater seem more fair and understand the player and their career is important not just the game/club.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I remember them saying Roger Tuivasa Schek was “washed” when the Blues signed him. Now they are happy he’s back.

JS was slammed and told he’s not that good. He’s been on of the Roosters best for the last month and they won’t even talk about him.

So sensitive it’s fantastic. Mostly the old ones that resemble nut sacks (Gould, Rothfield, Crawley) the younger ones like Slater seem more fair and understand the player and their career is important not just the game/club.
have a read of this if you want a laugh and/or cry
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/r...y/news-story/31448b71a878ec178caae93db4aa8dd6

Last edited: