• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions in South Africa 2021

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
images.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently UK firming up as destination for this year's Lions. Probably makes more sense than Aus. Feel for the fans; the pub down at Wrexham doesn't quite have the same vibe as touring Ningaloo Reef or the Kalahari.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The SMH reported today the big push by RA to have it in 21 and not 22 is because England are coming out to Aus next year and RA doesn't want them sending a B team as a lot of the English players will be at the lions. So RA is concerned that the b team won't attract viewers and supporters as well as the a team.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The SMH reported today the big push by RA to have it in 21 and not 22 is because England are coming out to Aus next year and RA doesn't want them sending a B team as a lot of the English players will be at the lions. So RA is concerned that the b team won't attract viewers and supporters as well as the a team.

Smart.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Actually, they said they didn't want to move it to the southern hemisphere! Where do the lions usually tour?

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No room for Jonathan Sexton or Billy Vunipola in Gats' British and Irish Lions:

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), Jack Conan (Ireland), Luke Cowan-Dickie (England), Tom Curry (England), Zander Fagerson (Scotland), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Jonny Hill (England), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales, captain), Wyn Jones (Wales), Courtney Lawes (England), Ken Owens (Wales), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Sam Simmonds (England), Rory Sutherland (Scotland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Mako Vunipola (England), Hamish Watson (Scotland).

Backs: Josh Adams (Wales), Bundee Aki (Ireland), Dan Biggar (Wales), Elliot Daly (England), Gareth Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Chris Harris (Scotland), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ali Price (Scotland), Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales), Finn Russell (Scotland), Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland), Anthony Watson (England), Liam Williams (Wales).

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ndee-aki-bolter-in-british--irish-lions-squad

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
There will be some angst with Aki and van der Merwe in there I imagine. I do agree with the 10s and no Sexton, not sure he still got it as much as he once did.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
One of the least intimidating Lions squads I can remember. That backline looks very light on experience.

The Boks have injury issues of their own, but I struggle to see how the Lions can beat them on their home turf, crowds or no crowds.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
That squad has definitely evened the competition. Would’ve said the Lions were favourites pre announcement, now I’d say it’s 50:50

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Boks have injury issues of their own, but I struggle to see how the Lions can beat them on their home turf, crowds or no crowds.

I agree with you there's not much depth in the backs but you can only have 7 backs on the field at once and they can produce a pretty world class backline:
9. Murray
10. Biggar
11. LRZ
12. Farrell
13. Henshaw
14. Watson
15. Hogg

Faf is clearly so much better than any of the BIL 9s. Maybe Murray can find some of his form from years gone. Wing is another area of concern, Watson is amazing (also quite surprised May didn't get picked) but LRZ's defense is weak currently and I can see Kolbe running rings around him. But apart from 11 & 9 I think that backline can match or beat the 'Boks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dct, I don't watch any European rugby these days, but I recognise all of those players perhaps except LRZ (who's he?) from pre-RWC2019. If that's the best they can produce, I'm pretty sure they'll have trouble with anyone the Boks put out. Having said that, however, surely Kolbe is now entering the veteran stages too?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dct, I don't watch any European rugby these days, but I recognise all of those players perhaps except LRZ (who's he?) from pre-RWC2019. If that's the best they can produce, I'm pretty sure they'll have trouble with anyone the Boks put out. Having said that, however, surely Kolbe is now entering the veteran stages too?

Only 28. LRZ is the breakout Welsh winger.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Biggar and Hogg have been in sublime form recently, really Hogg is a delight to watch. I would take him over any fullback we've had in the past 10 years including Folau. Farrell is Farrell, probably much better than Australians give him credit for. What that backline lack in Southern Hemisphere flair they make up with in ruthless precision.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Biggar and Hogg have been in sublime form recently, really Hogg is a delight to watch. I would take him over any fullback we've had in the past 10 years including Folau. Farrell is Farrell, probably much better than Australians give him credit for. What that backline lack in Southern Hemisphere flair they make up with in ruthless precision.
Nar. Hogg is good, but he doesn't lay a hand on Folau.

I agree with the general sentiment that the Lions look pretty average.