• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions in South Africa 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
De Jager presumably not fit and available?

He was the first player to return a positive Covid test on 6/07 so likely still isolating & I imagine it would take a while to recover sufficiently to be playing Test footy.....

Edit: as if the Covid situation wasn't bad enough now there's literally rioting in the streets in parts of SA:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...il-strife-across-south-africa-since-apartheid

Surely it's time for the whole shambles to he canned & try again next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The LRZ try that got called back looked a try to me. He missed with the first motion in the tackle, but can then place it once which he does to hit the line. Didn't propel himself forward with this knees or anything.

Pretty sure Nigel Owen was commentating and he said it looked fine and then some other commentator called him up on it as if he wouldn't know? Weird.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lions not giving much away in that game. Surprised they went for taps instead of scrums, particularly given they had the ascendancy when the Boks "A" reserves came on.

Other than that they didn't do much with a disrupted backline - just hoist to the wings and see what the Boks have.

And the Boks have a good scrumhalf and fairly stodgy options at 10.

Forward packs for the first Test should be fairly evenly matched.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Watching this game reminds me what I miss not playing South African teams. Their forward pack are just monsters and rip into everything like wild cavemen,, I suspect our packs will need a wake up call before we meet them in RC (if they can get here).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Pollard is stodgy? Ok then.

I would only pick Barret or Mounga ahead if him in a World 15.

Steyn is very one dimensional. But it is a very consistent dimension and he was played for a reason. We were always going to take zero risk on this game and use it as a defensive hit-out. Mission accomplished.

Bok pack will be a lot better with Malherbe, Mbonambi / Marx starting and I think he could spring a surprise at 8 and pick Dan du Preez, which adds more physicality. It will be pretty even but it's a case of who blinks first.

Can the Lions pack get better through selection? With a fit AWJ back, yes. as for the back row I think they have no clue what their best back row looks like.

Lions not giving much away in that game. Surprised they went for taps instead of scrums, particularly given they had the ascendancy when the Boks "A" reserves came on.

Other than that they didn't do much with a disrupted backline - just hoist to the wings and see what the Boks have.

And the Boks have a good scrumhalf and fairly stodgy options at 10.

Forward packs for the first Test should be fairly evenly matched.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He was the first player to return a positive Covid test on 6/07 so likely still isolating & I imagine it would take a while to recover sufficiently to be playing Test footy...

Edit: as if the Covid situation wasn't bad enough now there's literally rioting in the streets in parts of SA:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...il-strife-across-south-africa-since-apartheid

Surely it's time for the whole shambles to he canned & try again next year.

Watching this game reminds me what I miss not playing South African teams. Their forward pack are just monsters and rip into everything like wild cavemen,, I suspect our packs will need a wake up call before we meet them in RC (if they can get here).

So it's not worth trying to keep it going in a bubble?

Why not?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fit AWJ is highly questionable.

I think South Africa could very well sweep this series. Pollard is definitely not a stodgy 10. I think he picked up that moniker following a conservative gameplan implemented against England in the RWC, which completely choked England out of the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
If a right handed player can't pass right to left, he wouldn't even get out of club rugby, it's left to right where the weakness usually is, and if BB has a problem with that, he hides it well

Mate I know you don't like BB, but you getting mixed up I think.
picard.gif

Where did I say that? It was just a throwaway compliment you failed (AGAIN) to comprehend then jumped all over. It's these braindead extrapolations of yours that get you put on "ignore".
it's left to right where the weakness usually is

NO SHIT, MASTERCOACH
but you getting mixed up I think.
O REEEEEEEEEALLY

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
picard.gif

Where did I say that? It was just a throwaway compliment you failed (AGAIN) to comprehend then jumped all over. It's these braindead extrapolations of yours that get you put on "ignore".

NO SHIT, MASTERCOACH

O REEEEEEEEEALLY

Whoops ok DP, misread ya. I missed you were perhaps being sarcastic to Blue?

'Pollard's right-to-left pass is positively magisterial.

It puts shuffle steps, telegraph, and shovel BBarrett to shame.'

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am so keen for the Saffas to give the Lions an absolute spanking. I'm quite surprised by how easy it was to choose to support SA, just too hard to ignore that the Lions are 25% English. That's 25% too much. If they were just Scotland, Ireland & Wales I'd love them. But include Farrell and Itoje, you've lost me.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There's also the whole North v South element. I almost always back a southern team over a northern one.
Depends if there’s a solid underdog. Never cared much for Wales but I’d probably back in Ireland & Scotland against NZ/SA.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's also the whole North v South element. I almost always back a southern team over a northern one.

Been in the Fuck France camp since I was a kid, firstly on account of their various shenanigans in the South Pacific & of course more recently their state-sponsored terrorism in Auckland Harbour. Never had much time for Wails or Ringinland but used to have a soft spot for the Scots & Irish (they account for most of my ancestry) but gone off them big time since they torpedoed the Test Championship before the fucker even got properly launched. So, yep, sign me up for Team SH & Go Bokke.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Weren't they already in their respective bubbles when the infections occurred?

Yes. It got in via support staff or apparently outside chance that DeJager got it when he went to a clinic for a jab . Food. Cleaning etc etc. Lots of people. Hard to control. Covid in Johburg is going off.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I am so keen for the Saffas to give the Lions an absolute spanking. I'm quite surprised by how easy it was to choose to support SA, just too hard to ignore that the Lions are 25% English. That's 25% too much. If they were just Scotland, Ireland & Wales I'd love them. But include Farrell and Itoje, you've lost me.

Good man.