• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions in South Africa 2021

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
but gone off them big time since they torpedoed the Test Championship before the fucker even got properly launched.

You must be the only person who really supported the Championship. Locking Tier 2 nations out of playing Tier 1 nations was a horrible idea and not good for the development of Rugby. World Cups would have gone back to 99/03 Score lines of 100+ to nil etc.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fit AWJ is highly questionable.

I think South Africa could very well sweep this series. Pollard is definitely not a stodgy 10. I think he picked up that moniker following a conservative gameplan implemented against England in the RWC, which completely choked England out of the game.

I like your enthusiasm.

But.

Here is the problem:

The following players were in 10 day isolation after testing positive.

Marx
Mbonambi
Kolisi
Dan du Preez (was a genuine option at 8 and if he had played performed in the SA A game I reckon he was in the test side)
De Jager
Pollard
Melherbe
Mapimimpi
Frans Steyn

A couple came out yesterday. They have to pass cardiology tests the check that they don't carry ill effects (there has been ZERO reporting bout how sic they may have been.)

They will slowly come out with the last guys available on Thursday I think.

So they had to somehow stay fit in a hotel room? And that assumes they got only mild symptoms

So let's say none of these guys are cleared?

The our starting 15 looks like this:

Ginger, AN Other, Koch
Etsebeth, Mostert
Du Toit, Kwagga, AN Other (Wiese?)

Faf
Elton (ouch)

De Allende
Am (c)
Cheslin
Willie (bad hamstring)
Fassi

Bench
An Other Hooker
Du Toit
Nyakane
JL du Preez
Coetzee
Wiese
Reinach
The very handy Stormers bloke I forget

The Bulls game showed that anyone not on the above list of names is not up to it.

Now that is pretty handy 23 but would I trust Elton? Melherbe is CRUCIAL. He is simply immovable. Our strength has been bench depth. Kolisis is out mojo and in every game is right up there in tackle count. This is not quite as strong.

So on balance, with so many top, top players hit with a positive test? All depends how sick they were but some will literally have 2 days in training.

Bit of a crapshoot.

You still backing the Bok?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Test 1

Insanely conservative 1st half from both teams. Neither, at any stage, even attempted to score a try with the rugby football. I dont think they even visited each other's 22's. Didnt want to know.

Boks no interest at all in making space for their outside backs like Kolbe, ball in hand. They ​must have a better option at 8 than Kwagga Smith. Dude was manhandled.

tl/dr Boks made to pay for their risk averse "we can win in 3's" anti-try agenda.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Test 1

Insanely conservative 1st half from both teams. Neither, at any stage, even attempted to score a try with the rugby football. I dont think they even visited each other's 22's. Didnt want to know.

Boks no interest at all in making space for their outside backs like Kolbe, ball in hand. They ​must have a better option at 8 than Kwagga Smith. Dude was manhandled.

tl/dr Boks made to pay for their risk averse "we can win in 3's" anti-try agenda.

Despite an incredibly tight game, I found myself zoning out and checking my phone regularly. Pretty uninspiring.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Test 1

Worth watching?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Only if you’re a purist who froths over box kicks and up and unders
I made the error of watching it and you have summed it up pretty well. I cannot believe the amount of good possession kicked fairly aimlessly away by both teams. I get that kicking is a big part of the game but this was next level.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funny, I enjoyed it. If all ou got out of game was box kicks etc, you obviously not a fan of confrontational rugby, I was wincing at the thought of ABa or Wallabies taking on the Bok's forwards on what I have seen this year.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I only watched the mini on Stan and saw 25 mins of heavy tackles and a second half where the Lions cleverly pinned the Boks down and mauled for penalties.

Smart rugby, boring rugby.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Funny, I enjoyed it. If all ou got out of game was box kicks etc, you obviously not a fan of confrontational rugby, I was wincing at the thought of ABa or Wallabies taking on the Bok's forwards on what I have seen this year.
I wouldn't presume to "obviously" know anything about what others like.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I only watched the mini on Stan and saw 25 mins of heavy tackles and a second half where the Lions cleverly pinned the Boks down and mauled for penalties.

Smart rugby, boring rugby.
Nah good tough physical contest and happy with lions win

Tex

John Thornett (49)
That's good. There's a place for dour rugby but England's position at the top of my 'hierarchy of hatred' means I struggle to enjoy it when they deploy those tactics!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My issue was that while the upfront battle was keen, and that's great, both teams had some really good attacking ball at times that was kicked away pretty cheaply, for my liking. It was kind of dour for dour's sake almost. Which is what you get when both teams are trying desperately not to lose. That doesn't mean I dislike confrontational rugby, Dan, as you fairly simplistically put it. I like to see all aspects of rugby, and I reckon both teams had a chance to show more, if they have it.
I have no doubt both packs would dish it up to the Wallabies (not exactly hard to pick that out, though).

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
There seems to be this conflation of the concept of kicking the ball for tactical and territorial advantge (i.e. pin the opposition in their half or get out of one's D22) and aimless gifting of possession in the midfield.

One belongs in a tough, tightly defensive, forward-dominanted, wet weather encounter. The other belongs in a mid-naughties Qld Reds or late-naughties NSW Tahs highlight reel.

Saw a bit too much of the latter on the weekend for my liking.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Get your hands on the latest Rassie video.

1 hour of grenade throwing. Imagine if Cheik had released something like this after a loss.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Get your hands on the latest Rassie video.

1 hour of grenade throwing. Imagine if Cheik had released something like this after a loss.
I tried to watch some of that earlier but gave up pretty quickly. Yeah, plenty of us complain about refereeing errors but that was a next-level sook. Painful.