• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions in South Africa 2021

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Was it just me or did that match take about 4 hours? The ref coaching both sides through every single aspect of the match. Forensically replaying each incident like it was a crime investigation. 3 minute breaks at every dead ball situation. Hardly impressive for the casual viewer. "What exactly is happening here? Why do they keep kicking the ball away?"

This is the state of the very best that rugby has to offer?

"But what a tense, engrossing contest".

Fuck off. It was straight up dogshit.

Not only did virtually nothing happen, from the Lions perspective, they didnt even allow themselves the opportunity to involve themselves in the happening of anything.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah it was a top class turd of a match. I regret the many couch beers i stayed up having to watch it.

As I said mate, I enjoyed it, thought it was a classic case of the Bokke spending the first half softening up the Lions, and then finished job in second half. I don't need a game of 15 man league that we get often to enjoy it.
Mind you I was in good rugby mood, had watched some bloody good rugby down the park yesterday, so was in full rugby mode for rest of weekend.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Somewhat bemused that Kolbe did not get a red card for that challenge on Murray in the air. Usual blather on Twitter about "intent" which is an abstract concept and entirely unmeasurable in this situation. Seems more like an officiating team painted into a corner by the last few weeks' events. At least SA and the BIL are united in their belief that all the ills of the series are Australia's fault (Cheika for being a whinger about refs - has some merit, or Berry, take your pick), so that's something.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Itoje could be in a spot of bother
12_MAIN-ITOJE_3.jpg

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
As I said mate, I enjoyed it, thought it was a classic case of the Bokke spending the first half softening up the Lions, and then finished job in second half. I don't need a game of 15 man league that we get often to enjoy it.
Mind you I was in good rugby mood, had watched some bloody good rugby down the park yesterday, so was in full rugby mode for rest of weekend.
It didn't really seem like a traditional hardcore arm-wrestle which, i agree, can make for compelling viewing.

Both teams just look clueless when in possession. Boxkicks until someone makes a mistake, then a shot at goal or an up-and-under in the 22 when a goal kick wasn't on.

Caterpillar rucks fuck me off big-time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

:mad: me and you both mate, there is so much I would like tidied up around them. Like when 9 touches ball with feet or hands the f***en thing is out, and they can get caught, remind them their first job is to clear the thing etc!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Somewhat bemused that Kolbe did not get a red card for that challenge on Murray in the air. Usual blather on Twitter about "intent" which is an abstract concept and entirely unmeasurable in this situation. Seems more like an officiating team painted into a corner by the last few weeks' events. At least SA and the BIL are united in their belief that all the ills of the series are Australia's fault (Cheika for being a whinger about refs - has some merit, or Berry, take your pick), so that's something.

I blame Dan Andrews. It is what all the Big Brain Sovereign Citizens are doing.

However, in this case yellow card is probably a fair outcome - Kolbe's eyes were on the ball but he probably has to answer a charge of being reckless for either or both of not jumping or assuming no-one else would jump.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
However, in this case yellow card is probably a fair outcome - Kolbe's eyes were on the ball but he probably has to answer a charge of being reckless for either or both of not jumping or assuming no-one else would jump.

Agree. The ref used discretion. (Whether he was influenced or not). Which is what I prefer to see. However, 9/10 times that would have been a red card, so the Lions have reason for a good cry. As far as I was concerned, Hamish Watson should have been sent off for a tip tackle in the first test. So cry me a bucket.

As neutral I can imagine that this kind of game is awful. As a Bok fan, despite the frustration of the first half, the second half demolition of the Lions pack was a thing of total beauty. Nyakane and De Jager came on and completely took over. The Boks went up another gear in intensity. The Lions had none. I also thought the Boks fitness improved dramatically over the first test which is understandable after many of the guys had less that a week in training after isolation.

As much as I dislike what Rassie did, I can't help but laugh at Gatland's response which was to sulk because he knew Rassie moved rent free into the TMO and ref's heads.

I expect a BIG sanction for Rassie. Well deserved and needed so a precedent cannot be set here.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

It is a blight on the game. Ridiculous idea, how it is still allowed is beyond me.

Simple rule:

Halfback cannot rake the ball back with his foot unless he is trying to dislodge it (which is rare)

So easy to police

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I blame Dan Andrews. It is what all the Big Brain Sovereign Citizens are doing.

Lol

Iris Times ran a pice today on how once the refs actually locked themselves away after a game to keep Cheika out. Eventually he wrote them a note and passed it under the door.

I hated how Cheika carried on about the refs, Now I have no leg to stand on. Thanks Rassie. Twat.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah it was a top class turd of a match. I regret the many couch beers i stayed up having to watch it.

How long would the highlights package be? There's not much rugby on STAN these days, but we will not be watching this dross based on popular opinion.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Lot of clips doing the rounds of the new Springboks on-field coaching tactics. Medic was tracking behind this play yelling to the players "coaching" from the in goal through its duration. One of many examples. The other medic was given a warning part way through the game not to come on to the field unless there was an injury. You could see him coaching players when they were "down" (every single break in play!). The lack of actual treatment compared to the time spent communicating as very noticeable.

Capture.JPG

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haha, being the negative prick I am I just had to tune in for the hateful nadir of this anti-rugby series. No surprise there's no posts here about it. Shouldve been the biggest rugby match in the world since 2019 but feels like everyone had given the fuck up on this revolting exercise in taking 2 hours to play 25 minutes of actual rugby. As MST said, Rassie and his platoon of medics coming on at every break in play to do some coaching and give their lads yet another 2 minute breather. Holy crap, didnt realise they were doing it from the in-goal too.

Lions completely undone by their abject fielding of kicks. Just hopeless. No wonder the Boks kept kicking it, they got the bloody ball back about 70% of the time.

Some sweet work from the home broadcasters, cutting away from the Kolbe try replay when it looked for all the world like the bok player had knocked on the fielded kick that started the movement. Then Steyn's hash of grounding the ball right at the end. Quick cutaway. Nothing to see here. Hometown TMO Marius Jonker would've had his feet up in the Louis Luyt Suite lighting up a celebratory stogie by then anyway.

Fitting that Mr Anti Rugby himself, Morne fucking Steyn, was wheeled in from 2009 to apply the finishing desultory expectorant upon the sport itself.