• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Farrell would have been nominated on the back of his 6Ns form where he probably ranked in the top 3 enough times to accumulate points. Not many players have had consistently outstanding years at international level so he's probably 1 or 2 points ahead of a host of players who could have been nominated.

On the Lions fly-half I think Sexton is in the box seat at the moment after his display against Argentina but will need to replicate it during the 6Ns. If he goes back to standing deep rather than flat and attacking the line he'll go backwards again. Priestland is under huge pressure for his place with Wales presently with many calling for James Hook to be recalled for the 6Ns. Owen Farrell could potentially be third choice for England if Burns comes through.

There's only 2 flyhalves who are really doing it at international level consistently in recent games and both are ABs. There's plenty of potential world beaters in teams around the world and we'll probably see some of them establish themselves on the international stage over the next year. One advantage Sexton has for the Lions is that he's currently considered Ireland's no. 1 as opposed to previous seasons where he and ROG fought it out for the 10 jersey. With Jackson, Keatley and Maddigan coming through and Hanrahan not far behind those guys he may not have it all his own way for too much longer.

There are even calls from the usual quarters for Wilkinson to be brought back for the Lions but I hope that doesn't happen as I want to see running rugby in the Lions series.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the nomination panel and I've seen at least 5 of them praising Farrell's performances during the 6Ns or in the build up to England's tour of South Africa on the BBC and Sky Sports respectively.

John Eales (AUS, 1991-2001) - Convenor

Will Greenwood (ENG, 1997-2004)

Gavin Hastings (SCO, 1986-1995)

Francois Pienaar (RSA, 1993-1996)

Paul Wallace (IRE, 1995-2002)

Scott Quinnell (WAL, 1993-2002)

Agustin Pichot (ARG, 1995-2007)

Tana Umaga (NZL, 1997-2005)

Raphel Ibanez (FRA, 1996-2007)

Personally don't think that Farrell was that amazing during the 6Ns but he scored a lot of points and I'd imagine those on the panel that praised him had him either man of the match or runner up in his 5 6Ns games.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting thing is if Rob Kearney and Brian O'Driscoll where not injured I don't think Gilroy would have even got a chance with Zebo and Earls both preferred on the wing, on current form his a great chance but it all depends on the side Kidney picks for the 6 nations.

I still don't rate Sexton as the best 10 for the Lions tour, his form for Leinster is unreal. He just never seems to play that good in a Green jersey. If Priestland finds form in the 6 Nations he has to be in the squad, currently the way Wales are playing their could be more scotts than Walsh in the side.

I also don't rate Rory Best in the top two hookers for the Lions.

I don't reckon sexton is a player of the calibre needed to win a lions tour. I would also say the same thing about Phillips and the english scrummies.

If the lions lose the tour I think it will be the halves that let them down, as the lions will have the wood over Australia pretty much everywhere else on the paddock except flanker and maybe lock and wing.

I would have liked to see farrell start in the AI's as I don't really rate flood either. No idea why the english persist with barrit when Manu and JJ on paper at least looks a lot more dangerous.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The english seem like the biggest waste of potential of all the home nations.

It is like they constantly don't know what their best team is. Always in a state of slow transition but never really building towards a complete finished product.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't reckon sexton is a player of the calibre needed to win a lions tour. I would also say the same thing about Phillips and the english scrummies.

If the lions lose the tour I think it will be the halves that let them down, as the lions will have the wood over Australia pretty much everywhere else on the paddock except flanker and maybe lock and wing.

I would have liked to see farrell start in the AI's as I don't really rate flood either. No idea why the english persist with barrit when Manu and JJ on paper at least looks a lot more dangerous.
Disagree with Australia having the upper hand on the wings, well at the moment any way. The Lions have some great choice's for the wings.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Taffys and Soap Dodgers showed a bit of ticker last night but the Lions coming down under next June will not be the red wash many are predicting. A fit and full strength Men in Gold outfit will not be humbled by the Northerners.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Taffys and Soap Dodgers showed a bit of ticker last night but the Lions coming down under next June will not be the red wash many are predicting. A fit and full strength Men in Gold outfit will not be humbled by the Northerners.
What is this strange thing of which you speak?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A fit and full strength Men in Gold outfit has been sighted by Harold Lasseter. It does exist. Trust me.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
After the Spring Tour, I think the Lions team might look something like this.

1- Cian Healy (Ireland)
2- Dylan Hartely (England)
3- Dan Cole (England)
4- Richie Gray (Scotland)
5- Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
6- Stephen Ferris (Ireland)
7- Sam Warburton (Wales)
8- Sean O'Brien (Ireland)
9- Danny Care (England)
10- Johnny Sexton (Ireland)
11- George North (Wales)
12- Jamie Roberts (Wales)
13- Manu Tuilagi (England)
14- Chris Ashton (England)
15- Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

Reserves: Mathew Rees, Gethin Jenkins, Euan Murray, Alan Wyun-Jones, Dan Lydiate, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Tim Visser

Few positions still up for grabs though, in the backrow especially. They have to find a way to fit O'Brien, Warburton, Lydiate, Ferris and Heaslip into 3 positions. I think O'Brien is the only certainty out of that lot. Halfback is a bit weak, but Danny Care looked strong, and Mike Phillips has been average this year.

Jonothan Davies and Brian O'Driscoll will push Tuilagi for that 13 spot, but I don't think it'll be possible to leave him out. Tim Visser and Tommy Bowe will be breathing down Ashton's neck in the 6 Nations as well. They are looking a bit thin at fullback as well, but if Ben Foden returns from injury strong he might nudge out halfpenny.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say there's a few certainties;

3. Cole
10. Sexton
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi

Who would you pick for the 2 wing spots out of Ashton, North, Cuthbert, Visser, Bowe?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
After the Spring Tour, I think the Lions team might look something like this.

1- Cian Healy (Ireland)
2- Dylan Hartely (England)
3- Dan Cole (England)
4- Richie Gray (Scotland)
5- Paul O'Connell (Ireland)
6- Stephen Ferris (Ireland)
7- Sam Warburton (Wales)
8- Sean O'Brien (Ireland)
9- Danny Care (England)
10- Johnny Sexton (Ireland)
11- George North (Wales)
12- Jamie Roberts (Wales)
13- Manu Tuilagi (England)
14- Chris Ashton (England)
15- Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

Reserves: Mathew Rees, Gethin Jenkins, Euan Murray, Alan Wyun-Jones, Dan Lydiate, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Tim Visser

Few positions still up for grabs though, in the backrow especially. They have to find a way to fit O'Brien, Warburton, Lydiate, Ferris and Heaslip into 3 positions. I think O'Brien is the only certainty out of that lot. Halfback is a bit weak, but Danny Care looked strong, and Mike Phillips has been average this year.

Jonothan Davies and Brian O'Driscoll will push Tuilagi for that 13 spot, but I don't think it'll be possible to leave him out. Tim Visser and Tommy Bowe will be breathing down Ashton's neck in the 6 Nations as well. They are looking a bit thin at fullback as well, but if Ben Foden returns from injury strong he might nudge out halfpenny.

Warburton needs to find form of the World Cup again, has had a poor year and I would not have hime in the starting line up on current form.

O'Driscoll fit and he has to be in the Squad, can change the flow of the game on his own.

Rob Kearney to start at Fullback if he is back. He is the best fullback in Europe when he is fit.

O'Connell would only be a 50/50, he has note been able to string any reasonable amounts of game time together in the last year.

Hopefully one of the four Irish wings can knock Ashton out of that spot, don't rate him higher than Bowe, Zebo, Earls and got to hope Gilroy gets a good shot during the 6 nations. Tim Visser from Scotland has to be considered for a spot on the Wing to.

Would pick Farrell over Sexton at International level.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone have any thoughts on who are the candidates for being captain of the touring party? All things being equal, I find it hard to look past Brian O'Driscoll as no one would be more respected. Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery from his shoulder injury.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
O'Driscoll is an obvious choice for tour captain but he could struggle to keep the 13 jersey ahead of Tuilagi.

Neither Warburton nor Robshaw are guaranteed starters either so picking a captain won't be a simple matter.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm putting forth this team for the Wallabies.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Hooper
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper (If he can gain some Test confidence, he'd be unstoppable.)
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Beale

Bench
Kepu
Polota-Nau
Mowen
Higginbotham
Douglas
Phipps
Barnes
Lealiifano (If Cooper doesn't work out, Lealiifano should get a start at 10)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
O'Driscoll is an obvious choice for tour captain but he could struggle to keep the 13 jersey ahead of Tuilagi.

Neither Warburton nor Robshaw are guaranteed starters either so picking a captain won't be a simple matter.

If Paul O'Connell is fit and back in form he will get the arm band again. Best Lock in Europe when in fit.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm putting forth this team for the Wallabies.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Timani
6. Hooper
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper (If he can gain some Test confidence, he'd be unstoppable.)
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Beale

Bench
Kepu
Polota-Nau
Mowen
Higginbotham
Douglas
Phipps
Barnes
Lealiifano (If Cooper doesn't work out, Lealiifano should get a start at 10)

Hard to disagree with it too much mate but the 23 man squads require 2 props and a hooker, that's the reason for them.

The other thing is I don't think it makes sense to move Beale, after all his run at 10 is one of the few highlights of this season. I wouldn't mind Cooper at 15 though, it's a sensible and seamless choice for many reasons which I'll go into another time.

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
Hard to disagree with it too much mate but the 23 man squads require 2 props and a hooker, that's the reason for them.

The other thing is I don't think it makes sense to move Beale, after all his run at 10 is one of the few highlights of this season. I wouldn't mind Cooper at 15 though, it's a sensible and seamless choice for many reasons which I'll go into another time.

Wasn't aware of the requirement for an extra prop. In that case I would drop Mowen and add another prop.
As for Beale I don't think he's that good at 10. None of his performances at 10 were ground breaking, some good, but none outstanding. As first receiver Beale tends to chip kick or grubber too much, which tends to kill any attack. I think Beale is much more of a weapon at 15. He had one bad game against the All Blacks in Sydney and was written off at 15. At fullback he has more space to run and counter attack.
With a healthy squad I would put him as the 3rd or 4th choice for 10. I would rank Cooper, O'Connor and Lealiifano ahead of him.
As for Cooper at 15, I think he would do well in counter attack, much like was seen when he played there when the defense was re-arranged. Not too sure how good he is under the high ball, but I think the biggest drawback would be his defense. Imagine him constantly being the last man and having to tackle an opponent destined for a certain try - I wouldn't be too confident with Cooper in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.