• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon this is where we at now. Quite a few names to look at.

ioaKSJt2Buy2B.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am pretty sure Paddy Ryan will be the sixth choice prop in 2013.

Robbo, Alexander, Kepu, Slipper and Palmer are all likely to be ahead of him.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I am pretty sure Paddy Ryan will be the sixth choice prop in 2013.

Robbo, Alexander, Kepu, Slipper and Palmer are all likely to be ahead of him.
Think you're right. Maybe not in that order, though. Alexander as a starter worries me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Alexander has well and truly cemented himself as our starting THP in 2012. Our scrum has been stronger when he is on than when Kepu or Slipper have been playing 3. That is a big turnaround from previous years when he was clearly the weakest of the three.

Palmer is the only potential player to upset the applecart in this situation. I can't see him leapfrogging multiple players to become a starting prop for the Lions tour though. I think he is a chance for a bench spot though.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think Alexander has well and truly cemented himself as our starting THP in 2012. Our scrum has been stronger when he is on than when Kepu or Slipper have been playing 3. That is a big turnaround from previous years when he was clearly the weakest of the three.

Palmer is the only potential player to upset the applecart in this situation. I can't see him leapfrogging multiple players to become a starting prop for the Lions tour though. I think he is a chance for a bench spot though.
If that's based mostly on the EOYT (including the England game) then I disagree on Alexander.

Hopefully Palmer is fully fit next Soup season and playing well, I reckon he will be needed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I could see it, especially if he plays most of the THP at the Brumbies, and as usual, we see Alexander at LHP again. Palmer was better than a pot plant last season, and was getting a bit more involved. If he can build that, and retain his scrummaging effectiveness, he would be a real chance for the Lions, whose scrum will be solid.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Holmes will come into contention this year. It will be the first time in many years he will start the season without an injury restricting him.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
kiap, that is not a bad way of displaying the "talent" pool.

Your "invention" or is it credit due to someone else?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Braveheart,
I actually though our scrum looked better with Slipper, Moore & Kepu than it did with Robinson, TPN & Alexander. I'm certainly no expert on Rugby let alone scrums but I was thinking it worked better because they are all similar in height.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read Rugby Heaven write up on how the Lions plan to play direct & really smash threw the Wallabies rather than go around us which is a fair assumption considering they'll probably be bigger all over the park. Most of the talk was about Jamie Roberts & Tuilagi running amok in the midfield which really wouldn't be a lot different to what BOD did in 2001.

As much as these two players have carved up opposition defences the Wallabies really haven't been troubled by either player. Ok we've only seen Tuilagi once but we've played Roberts 5 or more times and he's never had the impact against the Wallabies as he did other nations. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has always been a very good defender & should be partnered by Barnes or Tapuai who are both very good low tacklers so I'm confident we can contain these two for the majority of 3 test matches.

They will have their moments but hopefully not a day out like O'Driscoll had at the gabba in 2001.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member

I could see it, especially if he plays most of the THP at the Brumbies, and as usual, we see Alexander at LHP again. Palmer was better than a pot plant last season, and was getting a bit more involved. If he can build that, and retain his scrummaging effectiveness, he would be a real chance for the Lions, whose scrum will be solid.

That and he is truly a #3, he doesn't have to clear them all, just the #3s among them.

Also, I know straight from the horses mouth that Bladesy is a Palmer fan.

Just like everything else, a whole heap is going to depend on who is selecting.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
kiap, that is not a bad way of displaying the "talent" pool.

Your "invention" or is it credit due to someone else?
Cheers, Hugh. I did this exercise in April this year, and it's interesting to see how much the scene has changed in 9 months:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/wallabies-2012.10096/page-6#post-345072

I adapted the idea from somewhere, but can't remember exactly what that was. Might have been some business presentation. It definitely wasn't a Rugby context though, so I'll claim it for that.

April 2012 version
2012-april-aus_rugby-jpg.2160

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
No McKibbin in the 9s line? Aren't Blake, Shepherd, Gerrard, Mortlock, Elsom, Vickerman and Mumm officially now out of the Australian picture?

Reactions: BDA

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I still prefer Hooper and Pocock on the field at the same time. The Wallabies have done it before with Waugh and Smith. Perhaps put in Douglas for Timani in the second row to add another jumper.

If we are saying the Lions pack is going to out muscle the Wallabies then Hooper is the way to go, both in defense and attack. Just look at the way he performed against the Arg, Eng and SA forwards. All three of those teams have notoriously strong forward packs, and didn't Hooper receive MOTM in at least two of those games?

Status
Not open for further replies.