• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Understand that it’s a commercial slam dunk, especially for a Lions tour - I’ll probably be one of many travelling down - I just don’t see that guaranteeing a Melbourne test every year is beneficial for the rugby community.
Yeah let’s just never leave Sydney or Brisbane ffs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Assuming the rumours are true, this is how I see it playing out, in no particular order;

Test 1: MCG

Test 2: Olympic Stadium

Test 3: Perth Stadium

NZ&Australia: Adelaide

Pasifika: Townsville Stadium

Reds: Suncorp Stadium

Brumbies: Canberra Stadium

Waratahs: Sydney Football Stadium

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Understand that it’s a commercial slam dunk, especially for a Lions tour - I’ll probably be one of many travelling down - I just don’t see that guaranteeing a Melbourne test every year is beneficial for the rugby community.
How is money not beneficial for the rugby community

QLD government should open their chequebooks like the others if they’re actually want the good content

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
How is money not beneficial for the rugby community

QLD government should open their chequebooks like the others if they’re actually want the good content
The QLD Govt has shown pretty solid support for the rugby community recently, so I'm sure they have had discussions.

Assuming the Lions game would be at AAMI Park, all three of Adelaide Oval, Suncorp, and Optus Stadium have 1.5-2x the capacity - and you're guaranteed a sell out. That's not only significantly more from gate revenue, but more fans buying food, bev, and merch.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lions Vs Wallabies wouldn’t be at AAMI, would have to be Docklands(yeah people call it that;) at a minimum, most likely the MCG

I have an issue with the Aus-NZ team, I would struggle to cheer for a team that is half kiwi.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lions Vs Wallabies wouldn’t be at AAMI, would have to be Docklands(yeah people call it that;) at a minimum, most likely the MCG

I have an issue with the Aus-NZ team, I would struggle to cheer for a team that is half kiwi.
Yeah you're right, last two Lions games have been at Docklands, so that's valid - capacity in 'rectangle mode' is still less at Docklands though, 47k

I don't mind the ANZACs vs Motherland vibe

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Docklands is 56k capacity rectangular, a record set back in 2013 by Lions tour. unless they’ve since removed capacity?

preferably RA don’t use a stadium owned by a competitor sport though. Surely a B&I Lions test could fill the MCG??

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Assuming the rumours are true, this is how I see it playing out, in no particular order;

Test 1: MCG

Test 2: Olympic Stadium

Test 3: Perth Stadium

NZ&Australia: Adelaide

Pasifika: Townsville Stadium

Reds: Suncorp Stadium

Brumbies: Canberra Stadium

Waratahs: Sydney Football Stadium
Does any of the money go to the state?

If QLD rugby misses a test, then they would want 2 x games at Suncorp to get more money.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Docklands is 56k capacity rectangular, a record set back in 2013 by Lions tour. unless they’ve since removed capacity?

preferably Rugby Australia don’t use a stadium owned by a competitor sport though. Surely a B&I Lions test could fill the MCG??
Not sure - that was the figure wiki gives for rectangular

I agree, but history would suggest they’re happy to use Marvel

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Not sure - that was the figure wiki gives for rectangular

I agree, but history would suggest they’re happy to use Marvel

I'm pretty sure that part of the vic govt. 6 year deal was the lions test at the mcg. If it were to be at marvel you could argue that its pointless have 56k in melb when you can have 52k at suncorp or 60k at optus. Side note on the Eddie podcast y day they were saying that the vic govt. is adamant they want to host they want to host the RWC final & believe they are the front runner.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm pretty sure that part of the vic govt. 6 year deal was the lions test at the mcg. If it were to be at marvel you could argue that its pointless have 56k in melb when you can have 52k at suncorp or 60k at optus. Side note on the Eddie podcast y day they were saying that the vic govt. is adamant they want to host they want to host the RWC final & believe they are the front runner.
I can understand 100k in the ‘G for the final - would be an incredible experience.

If that’s the case though, you think they’d take the Lions test to another city to spread it around a bit.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I can understand 100k in the ‘G for the final - would be an incredible experience.

If that’s the case though, you think they’d take the Lions test to another city to spread it around a bit.
Not really seeing the Vic Government is the one putting up the cash. Money talks and bullshit walks.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not really seeing the Vic Government is the one putting up the cash. Money talks and bullshit walks.
Great that the Vic Govt. cares about rugby, but a real shame no one else in the state seems to.

Did we ever get crowd figures from last night?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Great that the Vic Govt. cares about rugby, but a real shame no one else in the state seems to.

Did we ever get crowd figures from last night?
Yeah because the years of empty stadiums in NSW, ACT and Qld have provided such a great atmosphere.

But even though Rugby Australia is broke let’s turn down the money on offer from the Vic Government

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah because the years of empty stadiums in NSW, ACT and Qld have provided such a great atmosphere.

But even though Rugby Australia is broke let’s turn down the money on offer from the Vic Government
Again, not what I said - happy they're getting some cash, but it's disappointing that other fringe cities (esp. Perth, with their massive British expat community) may miss out as a result.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Again, not what I said - happy they're getting some cash, but it's disappointing that other fringe cities (esp. Perth, with their massive British expat community) may miss out as a result.
Is it? If they want it put up the money and take it