• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm pretty sure that part of the vic govt. 6 year deal was the lions test at the mcg. If it were to be at marvel you could argue that its pointless have 56k in melb when you can have 52k at suncorp or 60k at optus. Side note on the Eddie podcast y day they were saying that the vic govt. is adamant they want to host they want to host the RWC final & believe they are the front runner.
It sounds like a lot will come down to the Bledisloe crowd this year

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I can understand 100k in the ‘G for the final - would be an incredible experience.

If that’s the case though, you think they’d take the Lions test to another city to spread it around a bit.

Contract already in place has been since 2019 for a lions test, the vic govt. is going for the rwc on top of that

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
not attacking anyone but I did a quick google

mcg 172.9 x 147.8
optus 165 x 130
AO 183 x 134 (i knew it was extremely long had no idea it was not as narrow as optus always thought it was the smallest because of the straight long sides)
scg 155 x 136

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
When they built it the made it a bit smaller than Subi & the mcg so they could host rectangular events.
20872166-5FB6-4D87-AE49-0B7296475FF1.jpeg

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

mcg 172.9 x 147.8
optus 165 x 130
AO 183 x 134 (i knew it was extremely long had no idea it was not as narrow as optus always thought it was the smallest because of the straight long sides)
scg 155 x 136
You have got the field size for Optus and the fence to fence dimensions for the G

Optus was designed to mirror the size of the MCG. As the dimensions of Subbi was seen as disadvantage to the WA team’s coming to Melbourne and trying to win the GF. As they would get pulled apart trying to defend the wide spaces

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Great that the Vic Govt. cares about rugby, but a real shame no one else in the state seems to.

Did we ever get crowd figures from last night?
Wallabies v Lions 2013 - 56771, 2nd biggest crowd at Marvel for sport. 1st place is UFC so more seats available.
Wallabies v England 2016 - 29 871 Biggest ever crowd at AAMI park, 5th place is Wallabies v Ireland 29 018 and 8th is Rebels v BIL at 28 658

So saying no one in the state cares about rugby is BS, problem is most people in the state don't support the Rebels as they already supported union teams for years before the Rebels were introduced.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So saying no one in the state cares about rugby is BS, problem is most people in the state don't support the Rebels as they already supported union teams for years before the Rebels were introduced.
That is a long way down the list of barriers to rugby's growth in Victoria

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Wallabies v Lions 2013 - 56771, 2nd biggest crowd at Marvel for sport. 1st place is UFC so more seats available.
Wallabies v England 2016 - 29 871 Biggest ever crowd at AAMI park, 5th place is Wallabies v Ireland 29 018 and 8th is Rebels v BIL at 28 658

We have never had an issue selling wallabies tests, rebs on the other hand

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Agree with the first half of your sentence, disagree with the second.

Melbourne is an AFL city - 90% of people have a team. Many then support the Storm, at a certain point it becomes hard following too many competitions or teams from a time/cash perspective. Let alone matches clashing. But the Wallabies are less frequent and a national team so easier to follow. I follow all three of those codes quite intensely, and am a huge EPL fan, and I will watch the Socceroos - but not the A-League, as I simply don't have time.

I don't think Melbourne is full of Brumbies, Waratahs, Crusaders fans etc

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree with the first half of your sentence, disagree with the second.

Melbourne is an AFL city - 90% of people have a team. Many then support the Storm, at a certain point it becomes hard following too many competitions or teams from a time/cash perspective. Let alone matches clashing. But the Wallabies are less frequent and a national team so easier to follow. I follow all three of those codes quite intensely, and am a huge EPL fan, and I will watch the Socceroos - but not the A-League, as I simply don't have time.

I don't think Melbourne is full of Brumbies, Waratahs, Crusaders fans etc
Agree with all of that.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

mcg 172.9 x 147.8
optus 165 x 130
scg 155 x 136

MCG 17719 square metres
Gabba 16908 square metres
Perth Stadium 16847 square metres
SCG 16556 square metres
Docklands 16211 square metres
Adelaide Oval 16133 square metres

Soccer field reccomended 7140 square metres
Rugby League Field 6822 square metres

Deniliquin Oval 20166 square metres!!! 196x131m

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

MCG 17719 square metres
Gabba 16908 square metres
Perth Stadium 16847 square metres
SCG 16556 square metres
Docklands 16211 square metres
Adelaide Oval 16133 square metres

Soccer field reccomended 7140 square metres
Rugby League Field 6822 square metres

Deniliquin Oval 20166 square metres!!! 196x131m

Played an afl practice match on that ground one year in march in 30 degrees, insane