• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Brisbane secure 3rd Lions test over Perth and Adelaide, Lions match against the Reds set to kick-off the 9 game tour also
Immense. Turns out money, while important, isn't the only thing that matters - might be news to some here

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
yeah the irony..hypocrisy of the situation isn't lost.
FWIW I believe all international tests should feature some kind of profit sharing.
And some basic requirement of tier one teams playing a certain number of tier two teams at home annually.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Immense. Turns out money, while important, isn't the only thing that matters - might be news to some here
Really? I assume any suggestion it wouldn't be at Suncorp was a leveraging position to suck more money out of the Qld government.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Really? I assume any suggestion it wouldn't be at Suncorp was a leveraging position to suck more money out of the Qld government.
Undoubtedly it was. From reports though, QLD Govt still didn’t match WA and SA $$ offers. Maybe they met halfway

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty sure it’s a profit sharing agreement because Lions felt hard done by that they generated revenue for other counties

There was certainly still a profit sharing agreement prior to the JV structure. I think the new structure that commenced with the last Lions Tour in South Africa increases the level of collaboration and control that the Lions have over the tour and the financial side of things. That certainly makes a lot of sense for all parties. Any IP Rugby Australia had from the last Lions Tour is well and truly out the door 12 years later whereas there's some continuity in the Lions organisation because they do it every four years.

For reference, the Lions generated slightly less revenue from the South Africa tour (playing tests with no crowds) than they did on the NZ tour four years earlier (£20.1m vs £22.1m) but made a slightly higher overall profit (£8.2m vs £7.8m).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was certainly still a profit sharing agreement prior to the JV structure. I think the new structure that commenced with the last Lions Tour in South Africa increases the level of collaboration and control that the Lions have over the tour and the financial side of things. That certainly makes a lot of sense for all parties. Any IP Rugby Australia had from the last Lions Tour is well and truly out the door 12 years later whereas there's some continuity in the Lions organisation because they do it every four years.

For reference, the Lions generated slightly less revenue from the South Africa tour (playing tests with no crowds) than they did on the NZ tour four years earlier (£20.1m vs £22.1m) but made a slightly higher overall profit (£8.2m vs £7.8m).

So some sense in RA giving a test to QLD where the direct revenue they have to share with BIL is less, but there is expected other benefit to RA (funding support elsewhere) as leverage

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So some sense in Rugby Australia giving a test to QLD where the direct revenue they have to share with BIL is less, but there is expected other benefit to Rugby Australia (funding support elsewhere) as leverage

I don't know if this really interacts with the B&I Lions agreement but I think it is common sense from Rugby Australia. Queensland clearly needed to come to the party with a sizable government contribution to secure the event because it is worth a lot of money but likewise Rugby Australia probably doesn't want to say no to Queensland given their importance to rugby in this country.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

previously there wasn't much profit sharing at all, Lions revenue was generated primarily through their own sponsorships. Host unions would generate profits multiple times that of the B&I Lions. It's been a source of contention for years.

I remember reading about this joint venture when launched for the South African tour, and a driving force was to ensure the Lions got their fair share of the revenue generated by their brand. Sure these JV's might improve collaboration and potentially increases the net overall value through synergies, but the core driving force is the profit sharing and the B&I Lions home unions wanting a bigger cut.

South Africa not a great first example of a JV due to COVID, undoubtedly the B&I Lions will profit significantly more on the back of the JV with RA though.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
1689715583502.png

@Marce time to start going wild with jersey mockups?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Exhibition game against the Anzac XV to go ahead

Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney set to host the 3 tests

Good. It would be a disgrace if ALL Super Rugby teams didn't play a game against the Lions. One of the best nights at AAMI Park was the BIL vs Rebels tour match. Still mad I didn't get a commemorative jersey.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting note is that NZRU won't risk eligible 1st string all blacks for the ANZAC team. But OS based ineligible players can be picked: Mo'unga, Aaron Smith, Fainga’anuku, Whitelock etc.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Japan might be okay, but not sure how that's going to work if the European clubs don't have to release players (or maybe they would have to release them idk).

Would've thought they'd just make the AB XV/non-ABs players available instead. Better to give the guys who remain in NZ the experience/reward rather than the guys that have headed overseas.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Japan might be okay, but not sure how that's going to work if the European clubs don't have to release players (or maybe they would have to release them idk).

Would've thought they'd just make the AB XV/non-ABs players available instead. Better to give the guys who remain in NZ the experience/reward rather than the guys that have headed overseas.
The French season will be just finished or down to the final at that stage, so depends on the clubs as it's not going to affect there season.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
confirmed:

Saturday 28 June: Lions vs Western Force, Optus Stadium, Perth

Wednesday 2 July: Lions vs Queensland Reds, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Saturday 5 July: Lions vs New South Wales Waratahs, Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Wednesday 9 July: Lions vs ACT Brumbies, GIO Stadium, Canberra

Saturday 12 July: Lions vs Invitational AU & NZ XV, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

Saturday 19 July: Lions v Wallabies (First Test), Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Tuesday 22 July: Lions v Melbourne Rebels, Marvel Stadium, Melbourne

Saturday 26 July: Lions v Wallabies (Second Test), Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne

Saturday 2 August: Lions v Wallabies (Third Test), Accor Stadium, Sydney